tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I am hoping someone would venture to participate here, but if not I understand.

I am currently involved in a Bible study with our home group on this subject, and I thought I would share it. Before I do though, I really would like to see if anyone here would be interested in seeking this out with me. It is a study on these passages and what they mean. With particular interest on the bolded areas:

Revelation 3:14 "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,'These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked-- 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." ' "

I want to look closely at the disillusion of this particular church, and the remedy offered by Jesus.

To pay close attention to the reality of their standing mentioned, as wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked.

Also these meanings:

1. What is the "gold" and how does one buy it?

2. What is the refining in the fire mean?

3. White garments?

4. Eye Salve?

Also, the misquoted use of verse 20, in today's churches. It is frequently implied that this verse is for the lost, rather than the church herself.

Something to think about.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hubertdorm

White garments are given to Christians who are killed (Rev. 6:9-11). Perhaps when Jesus is saying "buy from me...white garments, that you may be clothed," he is telling these Christians to turn back to him and follow him even unto death. Because they have grown "lukewarm" in their faith, I assume that many have already denied Christ when faced with death, opting to keep their clothes and their money... their very lives.

Yet they do not see that in betraying Jesus in exchange for gold and clothing and wealth, they have made themselves "wretched, poor, blind, and naked."

But are you willing to consider that these churches mentioned in Revelation, are actual churches/types, today? They are. If we are willing to look at them honestly, we can study how they relate to "us".

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guest hubertdorm

I do not believe that they represent church ages, however, I do see that they can represent church types and even individual Christians themselves.

I think we're in agreement then? :wub:

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guest hubertdorm

Seem to be. From what I've gathered, Laodicea was a city of great culture and commerce. It was very wealthy. I doubt that we would have a difficult time comparing Laodicea with some of today's cities, nations even.

Yes, but what about today's churches in comparison? I mean look at the mini empires they seem to think they are accumulating and building. What magnificent structures! How great they "seem" to be, yet our culture is none the better by them.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guest hubertdorm

I have personal issues with the church that builds a enomous fountains for the eye and skate parks for the kids, but let their members go hungry.

I am unsure of what Jesus meant by buying gold from him. I am thinking of two passages, one from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament relating to refinement.

Zechariah 13 In the whole land," declares the LORD , "two-thirds will be struck down and perish; yet one-third will be left in it. This third I will bring into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, 'They are my people,' and they will say, 'The LORD is our God.' "

The Old Testament is rich comparing the Lord to a refiner who burns out the impurities and makes the object pure. Here is the New Testament passage:

1 Corinthians 3 If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward.

Perhaps the purchase of gold from Jesus calls us to invest in work that survives the testing of the refiner's hand. These deeds are done in secret from men but are seen by our Heavenly Father.

Well, since you went directly to the exact passage that I have in mind, I'll go ahead and add the rest of the passages to what you have posted.

1 Peter 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, 8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 receiving the end of your faith--the salvation of your souls.

It is about TRUE FAITH that will be found when Christ returns, in those who endure in belief, no matter what things begin to look like.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guest hubertdorm

What kind of fire tests faith? Faith seems to exists spiritually with physical evidence while fire is only physical.

To continue in Peter..

2 Peter But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed it's coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

Is this the same fire that will refine our faith to be like that of pure gold?

Revelation 11 The time has come for judging the dead, and for rewarding your prophets and your saints and those who reverence your name, both small and great

Somewhere in the major upheaval on the earth we will receive our rewards. Paul (in the above Corinthian verse) said this comes through fire. With the flames of Jesus, all of the temporary and worthless items (gold, wealth) are consumed. Poor Laodicea-- they really are poor!