IGNORED

To cover or not to cover ?

Izzel

Head covering   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christian women cover their heads ?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Choices:

Cover,

Not Cover.

What is "other"?

Powder the nose?

Choices:

Cover,

Not Cover.

What is "other"?

Oh I don't know? 

Cover your bases and wear a hat with the top cut out?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,398
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

African's :24:

Guest Butero

Thanks Butero,I am feeling majorly better!!Short frizzy hair .... Who would've thunk!! :)

I know! When we elevate the corporeal aspects into spiritual equalitiesto adhere to we become vulnerable to error... clearly that which passesaway has no equality to that which does not and do we not all look forthe redemption of the body? How then are these verses understoodRom 14 all! Love, Steven

Hi Steve,

I wasn't continuing on with the thread but just replying to something else that branched off from it :)

I was just assuring you that God looks upon the heart and not on the length or style of the hair :)

that passes away... but in the heart is where we prepare to stand in His Presence for acceptance or

rejection based on the truth of what 'IS' truly there :) Love, Steven

That is wonderful Steven.  Just ignore what is taught in the Bible, and assure everyone it doesn't matter.  I don't believe you, and I choose to follow the scriptures instead and keep my hair short.  That is what I was told to do by God, and that is what I intend to do.  It may not be a salvation issue, but if God chose to include this teaching in the canon of scripture, I don't plan to be contentious about following it. 

Guest Butero

If long hair were the same as being covered according to Paul, what would be being uncovered? It would mean having short hair, right? The opposite of covered is uncovered and the opposite of long hair is short hair. So if that’s what Paul had in mind, let’s do some word replacement in verse 6. Where we see the word “cover her head”, let’s replace that with “have long hair”.

For if a woman does not [have long hair], let her also have her hair cut off (v.6a NASB)

For if a wife will not [have long hair], then she should cut her hair short (v.6a ESV)
If you refuse to have long hair, you should cut your hair short? You’d already have short hair! This argument wouldn’t make sense.

Thankfully, I have a real Bible, so lets look at what it actually says in verse 6. 

For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn:  but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. 

He is not telling her to cut her hair short if she isn't going to keep it long.  It is known to the people he is speaking to that it is a shame for women to have short hair, so he is only making a point.  If it is a shame for them to go around bald, and it is, or to have short hair, and it is, let them have long hair. 

This is clearly speaking of hair.  How do I know that?  Start at verse 13, and lets read on.

Judge in yourself:  is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?  Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?  But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her:  for her hair is given her for a covering.

I don't see how it can be more plain than that.  The covering is long hair. 

Thanks Butero,I am feeling majorly better!!Short frizzy hair .... Who would've thunk!! :)

I know! When we elevate the corporeal aspects into spiritual equalitiesto adhere to we become vulnerable to error... clearly that which passesaway has no equality to that which does not and do we not all look forthe redemption of the body? How then are these verses understoodRom 14 all! Love, Steven

Hi Steve,

I wasn't continuing on with the thread but just replying to something else that branched off from it :)

I was just assuring you that God looks upon the heart and not on the length or style of the hair :)

that passes away... but in the heart is where we prepare to stand in His Presence for acceptance or

That is wonderful Steven.  Just ignore what is taught in the Bible, and assure everyone it doesn't matter.  I don't believe you, and I choose to follow the scriptures instead and keep my hair short.  That is what I was told to do by God, and that is what I intend to do.  It may not be a salvation issue, but if God chose to include this teaching in the canon of scripture, I don't plan to be contentious about following it.

Why did Jesus not stone the woman caught in adultery? Why did Jesus allow the woman who was known for her evil ways to wet

His feet with Her tears and dry His feet with her hair? It was a shame to let their hair down in public why did He not scold

her? It is good you love His Word by the conviction of your heart. It is bad when you use that conviction to drive others from

it!

1 Sam 16:7

7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height

of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth;

for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

KJV

I really think you need to examine more closely the dogma in view of this verse!

Don't you?

Love, Steven

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  514
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/07/1989

Choices:

Cover,

Not Cover.

What is "other"?

Powder the nose?

Choices:

Cover,

Not Cover.

What is "other"?

Oh I don't know? 

other is some say you must cover only in church and the verse applies only to wives 

That just one of the other 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  3

Choices:

Cover,

Not Cover.

What is "other"?

Powder the nose?

Choices:

Cover,

Not Cover.

What is "other"?

Oh I don't know? 

other is some say you must cover only in church and the verse applies only to wives 

That just one of the other 

So I guess it all depends on what Izzel means.  I think the context is the Church service. 

Put on your old Easter bonnet with the red ribbon onit.

Guest Butero

Hi Steve,

Why did Jesus not stone the woman caught in adultery? Why did Jesus allow the woman who was known for her evil ways to wet

His feet with Her tears and dry His feet with her hair? It was a shame to let their hair down in public why did He not scold

her? It is good you love His Word by the conviction of your heart. It is bad when you use that conviction to drive others from

it!

1 Sam 16:7

7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height

of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth;

for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

KJV

I really think you need to examine more closely the dogma in view of this verse!

Don't you?

Love, Steven

In the case of the woman caught in the act of adultery, the people brought her to Jesus so they could bring an accusation against him.  He handled things in a way where he didn't fall into their trap.  He didn't ignore the law of Moses when it said she should be stoned if there be 2 or 3 witnesses, but he did things in a way where the witnesses left.  He didn't tell them to stone her, where he could be accused to the Roman government. 

There is nothing in scripture that says it is a shame for a woman to let down her hair in public.  I don't go by extra Biblical books on cultural matters.  There is scripture that says it is a shame for men to have long hair.  The woman was worshipping Jesus and was sorrowful for her past sins.  Why would he scold her? 

There is a difference in looking on a person's height, which God is solely responsible for, and looking on something the person can control.  It is not even close to the same thing.  The scriptures teach us something about hair length.  It is clear that it is a shame for a man to have long hair, and women are supposed to have long hair as a covering.  I didn't write it, but I believe it because it is in God's Word.  What I can get by with is not the issue.  The issue is whether or not I should ignore it because I may not like it, and I choose to obey it.  Others can do whatever they want, but I choose to simply accept what God says, and do my best to follow it.  I don't understand people that make excuses and look for ways around scripture. 

Let's you and I disarm here and speak to one another as brothers In Christ! Address honestly

each others questions and assume nothing of intent by those answers but the answer itself!

In the case of the woman caught in the act of adultery, the people brought her to Jesus so they could bring an accusation against him.  He handled things in a way where he didn't fall into their trap.  He didn't ignore the law of Moses when it said she should be stoned if there be 2 or 3 witnesses, but he did things in a way where the witnesses left.  He didn't tell them to stone her, where he could be accused to the Roman government.

John 8:3-4

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and

when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was

taken in adultery, in the very act.

KJV for there to be just a Sadducee and a Pharisee singular there would have been two!

And they witnessed "in the very act"! So why are you not saying to The Lord why are you not

stoning her... it is written to do so? The spiritual life is so much more than dress this way;

wear your hair that way; it is matters of the heart ... you see although I gave you a verse where

it says God doesn't look on the outward appearance but on the heart- that should have been a clue

to you that what Paul was talking about was outward testimony that we as men can only see. While

our outward witness speaks to man only the inward does God look upon. Why do we do what we do and

how does this glorify God in my body and that was what the Elder of that Church was counseling in

that time and in that culture... You do believe in contextualization don't you?

There is nothing in scripture that says it is a shame for a woman to let down her hair in public. 

I don't go by extra Biblical books on cultural matters.  There is scripture that says it is a shame

for men to have long hair.  The woman was worshipping Jesus and was sorrowful for her past sins. 

Why would he scold her?

If I were to write you a letter talking about current events and was drawing conclusions

from those perspectives due to what people around me were doing and put that in the communication

of that letter. Do you think that letter would be understood in, let say, Israel? I have heard you

say culture means nothing... then- do you realize why God commanded man, woman and child to be

destroyed when entering the promised land?

Rom 8:26-27

26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should

pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings

which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the

Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God

NKJV

There is a difference in looking on a person's height, which God is solely responsible for, and looking on something the person can control.  It is not even close to the same thing.  The scriptures teach us something about hair length.  It is clear that it is a shame for a man to have long hair, and women are supposed to have long hair as a covering.  I didn't write it, but I believe it because it is in God's Word.  What I can get by with is not the issue.  The issue is whether or not I should ignore it because I may not like it, and I choose to obey it.  Others can do whatever they want, but I choose to simply accept what God says, and do my best to follow it.  I don't understand people that make excuses and look for ways around scripture.

Can you study without the use of your own will? Can you set down and really try to reason from another

point of view or is yours the only one you see? I am not saying this to be insulting it is a pure question!

You skirt questions put to you for the sake of supporting your own beliefs... when God says we are to reason

together as He reasons with us in His Word >So< if God says He looks only on the heart Who's looking on

the length of hair? You don't have to answer- it is a self evident reality -man! Man then becomes totally

dependent upon God for matters of the heart; this the Pharisees and Sadducees did not see for it is a much

more comfortable place in humanness to be surface doing for the sake of appearance only than to become

helpless and totally reliant upon God moment by moment in spiritual matters of the heart!

John 7:23-24

23 If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken;

are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?

24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

KJV

Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I've had long hair, short hair and everything inbetween...one year ago it was pretty long and now it is shoulder length...my hair grows fast and I can't stand it in my eyes.

I have worn a hat, scarf whatever in the church I grew up in and now it has to be real cold outside for me to wear one...I get ear aches if I don't...and the church I grew up

in simply stopped telling women they had to have their noggin covered because women stopped observing it anyway.  Did it make everyone less spiritual?  nah

There is so much back and forth here that I am surprised that instructions on how to care for a donkey have not been included (just my offbeat sense of humor, no need to be offended  ^_^ )

God has met me with no hat on and short hair and He has met me with my hair in a French Twist and He has met me when I had a perm (big mistake there folks LOL!) and

he even met me when I died my already blond hair even blonder (wouldn't do that again either) and He has met me when I was out walking my dog in the winter and had a hat on.

That's all I know and I greatly suspect I am not alone.