• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

The Bible says that some are chosen to be teachers,pastors,evangelists,and prophets(ephesians 4:11).Wait upon the LORD to put you into the right position.Maybe He's calling you to evangelize :thumbsup:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  4

I have been called to preach by God. ... I believe God is calling me still. I have visions of me at a pulpit preaching, next to a casket officiating at a funeral, even marrying couples.

I don't mean to throw water on your belief that you are called by God to preach Joe but I am curious as to whether your basis for believing such is primarily these visions you have. Or is there more than that?

My question has nothing whatever to do with the fact that you are remarried or any other such consideration. I am just simply trying to understand why you feel called by God to preach.

I am also asking because it seems to me that the whole idea of being "called" by God to be a pastor/preacher is very suspect in my understanding of Scripture and more probably an invention of church tradition than a reflection of God's thinking on the matter. All I see in Scripture regarding the qualifications for being a pastor have to do with one's character and desire with no "calling" even mentioned or neccessary.

If you have the character and you have the desire to do the WORK of a pastor (which involves more than just standing up on a pulpit and preaching) then you don't need a calling.

And if you don't have the character and the desire then you should not recognized as a pastor until you do. A feeling of being called or not is immaterial.

Carlos

Edited by carlos123

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Okay, Carlos, I believes God calls or requests us to go places and do things and commit our lives to do his work. I know there is more to pastoring a church than just standing behind a pulpit, I'm saying I recieve many times an analogy... "That would make a good message for people to hear." I just invision myself being in situations of helping to spread Gods word... see, in my area there are many churches who need assistance to help fill-in, people that may have a relative that has been saved but has no church affiliation for one reason or another,they have a family that needs to hear about Jesus. This is not something I have just thought up in the last year...I have had this burden for along time. Just becuase the word call is not mentioned as such, did God not "call" Abraham, Moses, Jonha and others to do things for him? I just see myself doing these things, perhaps "vision" is not quite the right word.By the way I have filled in at the pulpit before and have been told I was fitted for the work and would be very good with more study, practice and experience. Thanks, Joe

Thanks for th support Bloodbought. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  4

Hi Joe,

Okay, Carlos, I believes God calls or requests us to go places and do things and commit our lives to do his work. I know there is more to pastoring a church than just standing behind a pulpit, I'm saying I recieve many times an analogy... "That would make a good message for people to hear." I just invision myself being in situations of helping to spread Gods word... see, in my area there are many churches who need assistance to help fill-in, people that may have a relative that has been saved but has no church affiliation for one reason or another,they have a family that needs to hear about Jesus. This is not something I have just thought up in the last year...I have had this burden for along time.

I understand Joe. I would say just go ahead and start doing the work of a pastor even if you are not recognized or appointed as such. If there are things you can share with others that will help them, just do it. If you can help to spread God's Word, just do it. If churches in your area need assistance, just help them. If you can share Jesus with others, just do it.

You don't need an ordination or to be appointed a deacon to start doing that which God wants you to do Joe. If you cannot be ordained for some reason or be appointed to a postion of leadership in a church it's no big deal. God will exalt you if man doesn't. In due time people will come to see God at work through you. And if man exalts you before you are ready for public recognition it will not last.

So many men today think they need to hear God in some special and unique way "calling" them into the ministry before they think themselves able to minister. Or else that they need to go to Bible school, get picked by a church, and be officially ordained before they can be used by God to pastor others. When God says...go and pastor your neighbor and go and minister under my authority!

That's all I am really saying Joe. Don't wait on man to go and start doing what you believe God wants you to do. Just go and start doing it as God gives opportunity.

You and I might disagree on the modern idea of being uniquely "called" to pastor but that's neither her or there. If you feel you are "called" then no man can keep you from your calling. God Himself will be beside you and will enable you to feed His flock. One little sheep at a time. You don't need a church to ordain you to start doing that.

Carlos

Carlos, I'm not sure that we actually disagree about a calling, I think it's a different perspective. Thank you so much for the support!!! I will heed your advice and do things that we are all directed to do (go into the world and preach the Gospel to every creature) Thank you for this last post, I see what you mean, do what I can as I am able and let God will build on it. Okay, I can do that. Thanks for the advice. It is sound and uplifting to me... thanks again, my brother, yours in Christ, Joe. :thumbsup:

Guest mjh1029
Thanks for those who have responded. I have a response to scripture being clear. Should women be preachers and pastors? Paul said, 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 " Let your women keep silent in the churches,for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive,as the law also says.And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church." This was dicussed in a sunday school class I was in a few years ago. The concession was that if men are not filling pulpits and preaching and/or teaching like God called, he will accept those who are willing to do so. I also have been told God does not "uncall" you, but however circumstances in life can change what you may do for him. One question though, the quotes of scripture are correct and I know that my divorce is unfavorable in this area.But I know of deacons and pastors who have violated other of these qualifications and they are allowed to persue these offices. Iguess my real question is and I'm trying to be tolerant, I am treated as damaged goods because of a divorce when others have been backslidden drunks who beat their wives, then come back to the fold and are treated royally and are told it's wonderful that they have decided to fulfill God's calling to preach, when they have not ruled their houses well in the past. "You were saved,"Bill" but you backed away from God, sunk back into sin, became a vile drunk and beat your wife and was a bad example for your kids, but, your home now, and Jesus has forgiven you. You may sit in church for awhile and then we'll help you become a Pastor in due time."  Sounds like adouble standard to me.  :laugh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

(((((((((((((((((Joe)))))))))))))))))) I'm not to sure what preaching next to a casket has to do with anything but, you have been called by God and that's all that matters. I'm not to sure if being ordained by mail is the thing to do however. I would pray about it and know for sure that this mail thing is the way God want's to do it. He's called you and He will get you there, count on it! Love ya bro! your in my prayers.

Edited by Rustyangel

Guest mjh1029

Joe,

I am also damaged goods. I was married young and had a child at 17. I was in an abusive relationship and he left. We were not believers. The bible says that I am free from that marriage. God has forgiven me and I know that he can still use me.

For a while now, I feel I have been called to missions. I have ignored it because of my low self confidence and I just don't understand how it could ever happen. To me, it is not realistic and is not really something I would choose to do. I am a single mom.

But if you listen, God speaks. He speaks clearly. Recently, I heard a message and received an answer. My problem is that I am putting limits on God. The bible says that all things are possible though Christ. Even though I doubt myself, I should not doubt God. If it is his will; he will make a way.

I have read the other postings and I respect the opinions of everyone else. But, you know if God is calling you. If he is truly calling you, then you must obey him. I do not go against what the bible says, but look at Paul's transformation.

There is a man I know that did not begin preaching until he was in his 40's. I have much respect for him. He lived a hard life, and was an alcoholic. He had been married in the past and his past was awful! However, he got saved and turned completely around. He began preaching. He is now in his 60's. His testimony is powerful, and he is an amazing preacher.

Through all of the mistakes I have made, I now know that I want to follow His will. Even if it means doing things I may not want, or things that are not always easy. (college for example) I can't stress how important it is to be in his will. I have been without it so long, and now things are not easy, but I am never alone. He will guide you and give you strength if you trust him.

The good thing about God is that he is always available. Take it up with him tonight. Get on your knees and pray, and ask him for guidance. He will show you the way whether it be what you want or not.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

If you do a search in Strong's Concordance on 'divorce' you will find one word usually translated 'putting away', which means the man simply threw the woman out of the house without a writ of divorce, and another word which means 'divorce through legal writ.'

When God says "I hate divorce," He uses the word for putting away. A woman 'put away' without legal writ of divorce had no right to remarry in Israel, and so was destitute for life. This was a cruel and hideous thing to do to a woman, and so God says He hates this act!

A good many of the 'eternal negatives' many Christians have placed against ALL divorce, really only refer to this cruel 'putting away.' I seriously doubt you 'put away' your ex-wife!