Called to minister

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Hello, all. I have been called to preach by God. Simple, right? I was married at 19,and my wife and I were Christians. We regretfully got divorced.(adultery was not the issue in the divorce) I was remarried in 1997, and my new wife and I got to going to church,and the pastor said I could be a deacon. But one deacon was opposed because my ex wife and I were both Christians and adultery was not the issue of divorce,when we were divorced. I did not get the deaconship. Since then we have changed churches, and I believe God is calling me still. I have visions of me at a pulpit preaching, next to a casket officiating at a funeral, even marrying couples. I have a chance to get ordained by mail, and I have info that I may attend my church and preach at others do funerals,etc. without any flack. I'm not a college type person.( I have no problems with college ) I just want to be a country preacher that preaches the truth about Salvation and be a comfort to folks and be a voice for God. Just like some feed back... a few here have advised me to go for it. Like a little more input, and prayer that God will direct me. Thanks, Joe.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I'd say go for it..... if you are daily talking with the Lord and start something like that, it will not prosper unless it is His will. If He wants you there he will make it happen. If not it will flop. Some of the best preaching I have ever heard was from those old country preachers that had missed the college thing......

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Brother Joe,

The greatest preacher I ever heard had a 2nd grade education. However, he also had about 40 years' experience!!! He was deeply prophetic, and in all ways a remarkable servant of God.

Nonetheless, don't be too hasty to NOT go to college. Almost every great revival movement since the 7th century has started on a university campus. Don't know why, it's just the case.

College of course, is NOT learning. College is a shortcut, a streamlined APPROACH to learning. So you do not HAVE to go to college to learn. As far as that goes, if you wish to be an educated Minister (and I hope you do), you would have to pick the right courses in most colleges today, or you could end up with a 'degree' that does not actually signify education as such, but rather only technical training in one given area.

My whole life has been devoted to academe, and it has been a heart-breaking relationship, as I've watched the university degrade both spiritually and academically over the years.

On a different tack, have you considered the importance of Apostolic Succession in the Ministry?

Blessings

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

The bible says that you must"be the husband of one wife".What does this really mean?I believe we all are called to spread the gospel,but GOD chooses those that will lead HIS church.To be ordained as a minister,a leader of a church,some will say no because of the divorce.GOD will use you for what ever purpose HE has for you.I believe there is a difference in being a preacher and being a pastor.

• Topic Count:  297
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

God never goes against His Own Word. To be in the will of God, you must obey His Word.

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach;

1Tim 3:12 Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

Titus 1:6 if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination.

You cannot be in a leadership position if the example in marriage has not been set in your own life. Obedience is crucial. God's Word is absolute.

Are we forgiven? Yes. But God is very clear about who is to be in leadership positions. If you disregard that part of God's Word, then you are liable to disregard other parts as well.

Abide in His Word, He will still use you, just not in the way that you are wanting to go.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

Amen tsth

Thanks bloodbought,

I was expecting the usual :thumbsup: ............ :thumbsup: Glad your post wasn't the case.

:thumbsup:

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guest shiloh357
God never goes against His Own Word.  To be in the will of God, you must obey His Word.

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach;

1Tim 3:12 Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

Titus 1:6 if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination.

You cannot be in a leadership position if the example in marriage has not been set in your own life.  Obedience is crucial.  God's Word is absolute.

Are we forgiven?  Yes.  But God is very clear about who is to be in leadership positions.  If you disregard that part of God's Word, then you are liable to disregard other parts as well.

Abide in His Word, He will still use you, just not in the way that you are wanting to go.

In His Love,

Suzanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto!

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Thanks for those who have responded. I have a response to scripture being clear. Should women be preachers and pastors? Paul said, 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 " Let your women keep silent in the churches,for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive,as the law also says.And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church." This was dicussed in a sunday school class I was in a few years ago. The concession was that if men are not filling pulpits and preaching and/or teaching like God called, he will accept those who are willing to do so. I also have been told God does not "uncall" you, but however circumstances in life can change what you may do for him. One question though, the quotes of scripture are correct and I know that my divorce is unfavorable in this area.But I know of deacons and pastors who have violated other of these qualifications and they are allowed to persue these offices. Iguess my real question is and I'm trying to be tolerant, I am treated as damaged goods because of a divorce when others have been backslidden drunks who beat their wives, then come back to the fold and are treated royally and are told it's wonderful that they have decided to fulfill God's calling to preach, when they have not ruled their houses well in the past. "You were saved,"Bill" but you backed away from God, sunk back into sin, became a vile drunk and beat your wife and was a bad example for your kids, but, your home now, and Jesus has forgiven you. You may sit in church for awhile and then we'll help you become a Pastor in due time." Sounds like adouble standard to me. :thumbsup: