• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

When I was working at my other job for 20yrs I was being abused there. It got so bad that I was driven out and had to quit. For a while I had no job, I feel bad cause I should have trusted God and didn't and he fixed things. I got another job and money is starting to come back. Worst of all I haven't been well and we got into a bad accident. I told God that if he healed me and help Charlie. I told God something about smoking. I think I said I would stop. I haven't. I lied to God. I want to stop. I just don't know how. I don't know what to do.  :(

I think I said I would stop

Did you or didn't you? Yes or No? You need to take ownership of things you say, especially to God.

Do you realise how harsh you sound ? God is loving .She did not lie to God,she meant it at the time,and will give her more chances,even if you would'nt .

Not harsh, just the truth. 

We need to take responsibility for things we say. And I am not saying tigger lied to God, she is saying it in her opening post. And only God knows what she, or you, or me, really thinks.

If we were to be honest "I think I said" really means, "I said it but I regret saying it". So rather go before God and say, "I'm sorry, I said I would do something I could not uphold, please forgive me". 

As to God being loving. Of course He loves us! That is why His correction sometimes hurts and feels to us like punishment when it is not..

Finally, God does not need our promises, or for us to make deals with Him, He just wants us to Love Him and Obey Him. Simple really.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I think studies had shown that cigarettes are about as addictive as heroine. Many people try to quit and do not succeed. Others have quit in a heart beat after all these years. Keep trying though and don't give up. Our first and second attempts does not have to mean we have to give up trying. There is plenty of things I have done and did not do on my first or second attempt.. watching adult movies was one of them. Yeah and I made false promises to God also. I bet most of us has told God we would stop something and did not at first. .but your are not going to be rejected by God because of this. He knows you meant well but also you are in a weak state. Rather now say God please keep helping me to try.

If you have tried to quit cold turkey one day or two maybe that does not work best for you. I would use the gradual quit method. The reason in saying this is because once I was on Ativan. Doctors told me my system was addicted. The best way to get of Ativan is to gradually decrease the dosage so that the body does not go in shock. . For cigarettes it can be just the same. However not to be tempted to smoke anymore than the number you have been smoking.

Figure out how much you smoke now. If you smoke a pack a day in two weeks smoke nineteen instead. In two more weeks eighteen in two more seventeen. Your body will start to adjust having less nicotine. Try getting some sugar free bubble gum. When you have the extra urge start chewing some gum instead. You don't want to go back up again. In forty weeks you can quit smoking if you're using a method like this.

I don't know what else is out there. Maybe there is something better to use. But this is the method I would use if it was very difficult to quit at once. Lots of people say once they stop smoking for good they can smell and breathe the clean air. There's things they did not use to smell before they are able to now. .

If there is a method that can work fast then this then go for it. Never make up any reason to have that extra cigarette. Stay on that number and keep improving. Work your way to becoming smoke free. And yes God still cares about you just as much as before you had promised him. Pray to God. Be in his presence in spirit. Your friend GW was. I have been around a lot of people before who smoked. I was a second hand smoker breathing this. I have the total feel of cigarettes and its battles. . Keep saying Lord help me. Nothing by you is impossible.

I have read that cigarettes are more difficult to quit than heroin.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

This will not apply to everyone, but here is what i did.

One Saturday night about two years ago, I sat on my deck and prayed "Lord i want to quit but I can't do it by myself, please help me". That is all I prayed. I knew He would because I had this peace come over me.

On Sunday morning I woke to no craving, no coughing, nothing. It was as if i had never smoked. To this day after 40 years of smoking, my lungs are clear, I can exercise without being out of breath and people say my skin looks younger.

Remember, smoking won't send you to hell, you will just smell like you have been there (as my pastor used to tell me).

So try prayer first, and whatever you do to try and quit, approach it with prayer.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

It's been almost 11 years now since I quit. It took prayer, prayer, and more prayer, It was so hard! Honestly one of the hardest things I've ever had to do because the cravings were so intense.

I'd been talking about quitting at work, and a man there told me how he'd quit years before. He said when he decided to quit, he threw all the cigarettes out the window of his truck (I'm not recommending this, littering, just recounting what he told me lol), and his lighter as well. When he got home, he threw out all his cigarette lighters and ashtrays, and that was the end of it, he said.

After talking with him, I went into the bathroom and broke all my remaining cigarettes in half and flushed them, then threw away my lighter. When I got home, I did as he said and removed all smoking  paraphernalia from my house. I even threw out the lighter in my car.

I got a big travel mug with a straw and filled it with ice and water, and every time I'd get a craving, I'd suck on that straw and drink that water. It really helped with the cravings but it was soooooo hard.

But God got me through it. He kept me hanging on, kept me from picking that cigarette back up again, and eventually the cravings became less and less. I can't say I never get them now because I still do, even to this day, but it's nothing like it used to be, and God always reminds me of what slavery it truly was. I think that's the reason He still allows me to get them now, because I'd tried to quit in the past with aids like medication, but always went back. It was just too easy. I'll just quit again. No, for a hard head like me it needed to be extremely uncomfortable, so uncomfortable I wouldn't be willing to have to go through it again. Those occasional cravings remind me how bad it was, remind me how much I don't want to go back.