OldSchool2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,659
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The subject of slavery is a touchy one. And it casts a wide range of impressions and interpretations and perceptions depending upon whom it occurs to. Slavery still exists in the world today but in small numbers and in places this post will most likely never be seen. So those who read this will only have an abstract impression, interpretation, perception of slavery. I am Caucasian and cannot grasp how it feels to be from an ethnic race or the decedents of those whom slavery was inflicted upon. If I did I would no doubt see slavery as these people do. And I think slavery was a gross, atrocious evil. Humanity among its worst examples.

But we must not flee from the anti-Bible assaults based on slavery or the mistreatment of women or the like. We must point out that the Bible (and therefore God who Authored the Bible) was not promoting slavery or mistreating women. Rather, he was trying to orchestrate all things for good for those who love him in Christ Jesus and to accomplish his ultimate goals. This at times involved the least worst scenarios like the mistreatment of women and the slavery of others... based NOT upon the criteria of God but his managing of the evil that existed already here on earth. 

Most of us living today have not experienced either of these conditions (not like our ancestors did). Some have experienced worse things. It is life. This life. And only the big picture of the life after this life can put it all into proper perspective. We can all, most of us anyway, point out terrible things that have happened to us. To our people. To our ancestors. Some worse than others. Do we dwell on these? Allow them to rob us of the joy we could otherwise have? Do we go about with a chip on our shoulder daring anyone or anything to knock it off so we can whale on them the pent up anger that has been eating away at our soul?

Or do we nail it to the cross of Christ and proceed with his peace?

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

I understand that a free man in Roman culture did not have any rights under law. One had to be a Roman citizen to have rights, as Paul was and why they all were afraid and respectful when he informed his judges of such. But I really can't back this up at all.

Philemon may have had every right to have a runaway slave tried and executed, so Paul may have been just appealing for mercy. And I probably read into the word "forever" more than was intended. Perhaps it was only a promise that he would not run away again, and an appeal to treat him as if he were Paul's own son as well as Philemon's brother in Christ, and to forgive him.

However, a bond slave who chose slavery to a person had the protection of his master and was in a far better position among the Romans than a freed man, as I remember.

But this is just gleanings of years of sermons and a few years of studying Latin some 50 years ago. I am definitely no authority and appreciate the correction of others.

Blessings,

Willa

It may be that Paul who had knowledge of legal matters, had a full understanding of the consincuansess  of the slave in question, why he did not hide him and proect him, but instant he may have jeopardize him, risking capture and prosecution for his friend. It may be that Jesus had lead Paul in this situation , and he acted by faith on the guidance of Christ.  Even though a slave, Jesus may hae called him to be in his service. And Paul had see his callng and how the holy spirit was working mighty in the life of this slave, and it is not impossible that the Lord himself had help Onesimus to escape desiring to use him for his ministry.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,659
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

There is a saying that it is possible to be so heavenly minded that you are no earthly good.

While there is merit to this saying we must remember that this life is not the end but the means to the end. The stage of testing / choices between the two eternal destinies.

Romans 8:28 (AV)

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Read that God orchestrates all things overall (including the choices we make and the evil we bring about). Slavery, polygamy (in the Old Testament), etc. are not condoned by God but he deals with what mankind brought into being.

Something to remember when we are wallowing in self pity about how unfair life is, the fairness and justice down here on earth are best depicted by the scene on Calvary's hill where the Ultimate Innocence was crucified while Barabbas a murderer was set free.

This life ain't utopia. Not even close. This life is the most hell believers will ever know and at the same time it is the most heaven unbelievers in Jesus Christ will ever know.