IGNORED

Federal Minimum Wage

ted

Guest shiloh357
I got tired of getting paid minimum wage...so I've made an effort to go back to college. It's all paid for in loans....but I'm doing it because I want to make something of myself. If a person strives only to make the minimum...then they need to expect to only get the minimum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good on ya, SJ!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

I got tired of getting paid minimum wage...so I've made an effort to go back to college. It's all paid for in loans....but I'm doing it because I want to make something of myself. If a person strives only to make the minimum...then they need to expect to only get the minimum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:24::24::24::24:;):24:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

I don't post it to get pats on the back (thanks though :24:). I post it to show that it is possible. So many people say, "I can't afford college". It's not that they can't afford it, it's that they aren't wililng to take on the loans. Even so, I fought to make sure I didn't make minimum wage before I went to college and was successful at it...no one should live off minimum wage...but people should also have to work in order to get on with life.

ITA, S.J. My second son is attending a major University. Believe me, we are nobody that can afford that. We offered him an education at a local, community college, but he opted for a degree from a Major University. We help all we can, paying all the little details (parking space, meal plan, deposits) and his living expense, but the majority of it is student loans. Like you said - they are easy to get. No one in our country can say they can't afford college. Yes, you will have loans to pay back. But you will also have a great education that will enable you to have a good job to pay those loans. Again - work. If you expect it to be handed to you because you "deserve" it, you will go nowhere.

And, I add - my son works at night, and full time all summer long. While maintaining a 4.0 at his University. Often he is exhausted. I never could understand this mentality that you shouldn't have to work hard for what you want.

(Forgive me, just a proud Mommy talking. :24: )

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

You have every reason to be proud of him.

Thanks, S.J. He's in the engineering program. It is very challenging, but he works hard at it and I'm very proud of him. He wants to design cars.

Oh, oh, you've started me on "mommy talk". :24::24:

I wish you the best, S.J, in your endeavors. Your hard work will pay off. :24:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  226
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/24/1945

Yoh Work in Progress!

Yikes! I can

Yod! Yod! We need a Review here!

What point would you have me conceed? You actually confuse me???

I am a bit astounded.

Yod if you have not read it yet READ IT AGAIN!

Here

Last Rebel Soldier

I quote: The Last Soldier

I distinctly remember a post where you said you would stop with the "yoh!'s".

And, you mean to say "you're". Sorry, just a sticky point with me. "Your" is possesive. "You're" means "you are". :24:

I didn't ask you where you are. I asked you to show these "poverty stricken" people, which you haven't done. "On the bread line"? What bread line? Do they not get food stamps to buy groceries? The formula is simple - if they have a family of a certain size, and they make less than "x" amount, they qualify. If they aren't taking part in the program - why? Please give specifics to back up your claims. Thanks. ;)

Suffice it to say I know a little bit about poverty.

No, that really isn't sufficient, as some of us have shown you that we, too, know about poverty. Poverty without government assistance. Again, please let us know who these poverty stricken people are - and why they aren't getting all the programs offered by the government?

My experience with poverty includes life death, broken families, tragedy, loneliness.

I'm sorry, you've lost me. Those things occur in the lives of many. In fact, most. What do they have to do with going hungry? And why wouldn't those who suffer those things be eligible for the numerous government programs offered?

Well a lot of them are Homeless.

Well, that opens up a whole 'nuther can 'o worms, doesn't it? When my husband and I and our two (at that time) children moved into my parents comfortable home until our house was ready, imagine my surprise when we were marked as "homeless" on the government census. So much for government statistics.

I wonder, in light of the fact that there is subsidized housing out there for dollars a month, and shelters etc, why there are any living on the streets? It has been proven that those living on the streets choose that option, rather than go to a shelter, or to a family member. It has been proven that they are mentally ill, which is a whole different problem.

There are families that are Homeless. There are working Families who are Homeless.

You know people who just what a hand out!

I know people who just need a chance.

There are many more who scrap by hoping to keep the landlord from the door.

Keep the kids fed, so the Social Workers don