• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

raising minimum wage also has bad effects

- if wages are raised, companies' costs increase

- to compensate for increase costs, they need to increase revenue

- to increase revenue, they would have to raise prices

so if you make that extra few cents an hour, it'll cost your company, and in turn cost you more when you go to buy products

Guest shiloh357
raising minimum wage also has bad effects

- if wages are raised, companies' costs increase

- to compensate for increase costs, they need to increase revenue

- to increase revenue, they would have to raise prices

so if you make that extra few cents an hour, it'll cost your company, and in turn cost you more when you go to buy products

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not only that but companies will also reduce the number of hours their employees work, and /or reduce the number of employees.

Raising the minimum wage will increse unemployment, and with so many good paying jobs going overseas, work is harder to find.

There is no set wage that can be defined as "livable." Eadora just looks at this whole thing one dimensionally, as if throwing money at the problem will make it go away.

Another thing that is guaranuteed to take away from higher wages is the cost of having goods delivered to stores to be sold. With gas prices going up, businesses such as grocery stores have to pay more in shipping costs.

Eadora fails to put herself in the position of business owners, and fails to understand how an employer determines the wages he can afford to pay.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  226
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/24/1945

Yoh! good friend :

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The raising of min wage is only a temp fix for the situation, since the day, min wage changes, all prices will start changing upward also.

If for example McDonalds had to start paying their workers 10 dollars an hour insteadof 5.50. How long do you think it would be before the 1.00 items would be the 2.00 items.

In the nursing homes, where most of the lower workers get paid that 7 or 8 dollar a hour, if min wage went to 10, then they would think they should go to 11 or 12.

So medicare would have to start paying out more for people to get proper care, taxes would have to be increased.

Within 3 to 4 years of min wage even doubling, those earning min wage would be at the same if not lower level of buying power than they are now.

I can remember when min wage was 1.25. And I could live better on that, than I could now on 5.25

I am not saying the working poor do not need things better, but just giving them more money without changing other econmonic isues will never solve the problem.

Guest shiloh357
I am not female, shiloh356,  I am male!

I am retired from HI tech.  I have a precious wife!

and I remain involved with my humanity. 

Eadora is a male there about 60!  I am sorry if I have misled you!

I am not female.  --  I am male.

And I DO NOT  BELIEVE IN ABORTION. if it Please you.!

The spirit tells me!  That

Guest shiloh357
The raising of min wage is only a temp fix for the situation, since the day, min wage changes,  all prices will start changing upward also.

If for example McDonalds had to start paying their workers 10 dollars an hour insteadof 5.50.  How long do you think it would be before the 1.00 items would be the 2.00 items.

In the nursing homes, where most of the lower workers get paid that 7 or 8 dollar a hour,  if min wage went to 10, then they would think they should go to 11 or 12.

So  medicare would have to start paying out more for people to get proper care, taxes would have to be increased.

Within 3 to 4 years of min wage even doubling,  those earning min wage would be at the same if not lower level of buying power than they are now.

I can remember when min wage was 1.25.  And I could live better on that, than I could now on 5.25

I am not saying the working poor do not need things better, but just giving them more money without changing other econmonic isues will never solve the problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

dont forget to add in all the other incedentals for an increase in minimum wage,

if minimum wage goes up, so does the price of gasoline, workmans comp insurance (which is way to high now ), so does vehicle insurance, so does parts and material that are needed.....

a company with 100 people employed, being forced to raise their wages just 1 % then figuring in all the little incedentals, would just about force them to let 2 people go. yea, just one percent increase in wages would be like putting the burdon of two more employees on the payroll with no extra work being done.

do the math. like was said earlier, you have to know what actually takes place inside a company to know what effect it would actually have.

if it were me, i would be hard pressed to decide who would be axed first, who would be given the pink slip.

now I guess the company could end up saving money by having an increase in minimum wage, just cut every ones hours back to make fup for the differance, and then make them all part time employees instead of full time employees and then they could cut the benefits, such as insurance, and vacations and paid holidays and such. no more over time. wow, everyone can keep their jobs too.

which position would you rather be in, a company wanting to stay in business and trying to decide who gets to stay and who gets to go look for work else where? or you get to stay, but hours and benies cut???

or

would you like to continue working where you are at?

now, when you have some one else dictating to your employer what they can and can not pay, that directly affects you and your income and work.

something else too, is that the taxes will be going up, so that we can support those that no longer have a job because the wages were forced to go up and now a person that was able to live on 5 dollars an hour because they were able to budget their monies, can not live on 7 dollars an hour because the actual take home is only 4 dollars an hour after the increase in the workmans comp insurance, the health insurance they now have to purchase on their own, and the taxes increasing........

yea, increasing minimum wage sounds good.... until you look at the rest of the picture.

call around and ask what the prices of insurance is trying to get private insurance for medical..... then ask about dental, and then workmans comp and then ask about a pharmacy card.....

why do you think there are so many people right now with out insurance? why do you think that more and more people are filing medical bankruptcy????????

they dont have insurance and can not afford it on thier own, and the companies that they are working for no longer provide it cause of cost.

mike

Guest shiloh357
dont forget to add in all the other incedentals for an increase in minimum wage,

if minimum wage goes up, so does the price of gasoline, workmans comp insurance (which is way to high now ), so does vehicle insurance, so does parts and material that are needed.....

a company with 100 people employed, being forced to raise their wages just 1 % then figuring in all the little incedentals, would just about force them to let 2 people go. yea, just one percent increase in wages would be like putting the burdon of two more employees on the payroll with no extra work being done.

do the math.  like was said earlier,  you have to know what actually takes place inside a company to know what effect it would actually have. 

if it were me, i would be hard pressed to decide who would be axed first, who would be given the pink slip.

now I guess the company could end up saving money by having an increase in minimum wage, just cut every ones hours back to make fup for the differance, and then make them all part time employees instead of full time employees and then they could cut the benefits, such as insurance, and vacations and paid holidays and such.  no more over time. wow, everyone can keep their jobs too.

which position would you rather be in, a company wanting to stay in business and trying to decide who gets to stay and who gets to go look for work else where? or you get to stay, but hours and benies cut???

or

would you like to continue working where you are at? 

now, when you have some one else dictating to your employer what they can and can not pay, that directly affects you and your income and work.

something else too, is that the taxes will be going up, so that we can support those that no longer have a job because the wages were forced to go up and now a person that was able to live on 5 dollars an hour because they were able to budget their monies, can not live on 7 dollars an hour because the actual take home is only 4 dollars an hour after the increase in the workmans comp insurance, the health insurance they now have to purchase on their own, and the taxes increasing........

yea, increasing minimum wage sounds good.... until you look at the rest of the picture.

call around and ask what the prices of insurance is trying to get private insurance for medical..... then ask about dental, and then workmans comp and then ask about a pharmacy card.....

why do you think there are so many people right now with out insurance? why do you think that more and more people are filing medical bankruptcy????????

they dont have insurance and can not afford it on thier own, and the companies that they are working for no longer provide it cause of cost.

mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said, Mike!!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  226
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/24/1945

Hello Friends: I

Edited by Eadora

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

It is my understanding, and I know I will be corrected if I am wrong but the Federal Min Wage is $5.15 - that X a 40hr week = $206.00 - that X 51 = $10