• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  498
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/25/1949

Tuesday December 28, 1:14 PM

Quake rattled Earth orbit, changed map of Asia: US geophysicist

AFP Photo

An earthquake that unleashed deadly tidal waves on Asia was so powerful it made the Earth wobble on its axis and permanently altered the regional map, US geophysicists said.

The 9.0-magnitude temblor that struck 250 kilometers (155 miles) southeast of Sumatra island Sunday may have moved small islands as much as 20 meters (66 feet), according to one expert.

"That earthquake has changed the map," US Geological Survey expert Ken Hudnut told AFP.

"Based on seismic modeling, some of the smaller islands off the southwest coast of Sumatra may have moved to the southwest by about 20 meters. That is a lot of slip."

The northwestern tip of the Indonesian territory of Sumatra may also have shifted to the southwest by around 36 meters (120 feet), Hudnut said.

In addition, the energy released as the two sides of the undersea fault slipped against each other made the Earth wobble on its axis, Hudnut said.

"We can detect very slight motions of the Earth and I would expect that the Earth wobbled in its orbit when the earthquake occurred due the massive amount of energy exerted and the sudden shift in mass," Hudnut said.

Another USGS research geophysicist agreed that the Earth would have got a "little jog," and that the islands off Sumatra would have been moved by the quake.

However, Stuart Sipkin, of the USGS National Earthquake Information Center in Golden Colorado, said it was more likely that the islands off Sumatra had risen higher out of the sea than they had moved laterally.

"In in this case, the Indian plate dived below the Burma plate, causing uplift, so most of the motion to the islands would have been vertical, not horizontal."

The tsunamis unleashed by the fourth-biggest earthquake in a century have left at least 23,675 people dead in eight countries across Asia and as far as Somalia in East Africa.

The tsunamis wiped out entire coastal villages and pulled beach-goers out to sea.

The International Red Cross estimated that up to one million people have been displaced by the natural calamity.

Ok,this was on Yahoo news....

Dear brothers the point I am trying to underline is that while human beings are killing each other in a mad frenzy and blood spills in our lounge rooms through the tv set,a catastrophe like this that will kill 200/300 thousands people(just wait when they finish the cleaning up of the corpses and the explosion of epidemies like cholera,thypoid etc..) I didn'y hear one of the survivors interviewed sya:"JESUS saved me ,I owe to God I am alive" but they all say "I have been so lucky etc..",I mean not even such an event produces a sense of God in people because we are living in a POST CHRISTIAN era!!!

I am so sad,but even though I am no prophet neither I want to pose as one,last july I told my wife:"Darling ,I feel that at the end of the year something absolutely horrific is going to take place..I feel a BIG EARTHQUAKE..or something similar,,I said,I feel the chill and shivers along my spine..I cannot explain..."and now she remembered and underlined that I told her so...WHY?

Because I am a SINNER SAVED BY GRACE,not a bit better than those who have just died there,but HIS BLOOD washed me and HIS SPIRIT is in me,BY GRACE...I was a drug addict,a delinquent,now by HIS GRACE I am saved..and GOD reveals to His people what is coming...Praise The Lord...But I am going crazy seeing the big BIG hypocrisy going on ,churches fighting each other on doctrinal differences or just playing the harlot with the world or gone for the Name Claim it false prosperity gospel and SO FEW CHRISTIANS LOOKING FOR HIS COMING,FOR THE BLESSED HOPE!

New age approach and humanism has pervaded even the body of Christ and we don't even pay attention to THE RED ALERT SIGNS that our FATHER IS FLASHING LOUD and CLEAR from heaven to hearth!

They are diving HIS LAND,they are ready to SIGN THE PEACE TREATY,.....SEPTMBER 11....and NOW 11 nations have been hit by the Tsunamis!!!

But here we go trying to quench and say that the calamities like this have already happened because WE LOVE IT HERE SOOOOOO MUCH...men,this 2005 IS GOING TO BE DISASTROUS!!!!!

I don't really care if they call me pessimistic or morbid...in fact I AM VERY OPTIMISTIC because of JESUS,thats why,but MARK MY WORDS ,this coming 2005 IS GOING TO BE a YEAR of GREAT EARTHQUAKES and Tsunamis and Volcanoes and you name it,cause the planet is GETTING READY for THE RETURN OF THE GREAT KING JESUS!!!!

and not only that ...but BLOOD WILL FLOW and TERROR will intensify EVERYWHERE!!!!

Please brothers,I am SERIOUS,LETS WATCH and PRAY,please remember me in your prayers too,my name is Roberto and my wife LouAnne,pray for us and may OUR GREAT LORD and SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST keep you and preserve you from all that is coming and receive you in HIS ETERNAL KINGDOM at HIS COMING -THE RAPTURE thgat IS IMMINENT...I am not going to set dates,but HE IS NEARER than EVER!!!

GOD BLESS US,MARANATHA

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

You know, I truly wonder how authentic and accurate the statistics were back in those days to begin with, considering.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe way back, but many of these are in the 20th century.

I just found another source sighting the World's deadliest disasters. ( LINK - need to be registered to Washington Post on-line.)

1. 3.7 million lost in the 1932 flood in China along the Huang He River.

2. 300,000 in 1970 from a cyclone in Bangledesh.

3. 255,000 in 1976 from an earthquake in Tangshan, China.

The list goes on (decreasing in numbers and dates wobbling up and down).

What is interesting is that the top 8 are all in Asia.

#9 was an earthquake in Italy in 1908 where 70,000 - 100,000 lives were lost.

#11 is in Peru in 1970 and #14 is in Iran in 1990.

But the rest are all Asia.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Just so you understand, there are many things I just accepted from my early years that I've had reason to question and re-evaluate in my later years, and many of these have to do with the traditional interpretations of the End Times prophecies.

My statements here are a reflection of my re-evaluating.

Plus, actually knowing something about astronomy and hearing Christians crying (proverbially), "The sky is falling!" everytime there's a report about massive sunflares or an approaching comet or an eclipse or whatever (in other words, normal astronomical events), I just have to hang my head in frustration and embarrasment.

I also know things about oceanography and geology and meteorology. Earthquakes cause land to shift. This is no suprise. That this earthquake caused the island to be moved by 66 feet is indeed quite amazing, but not dazing.

I still haven't seen reference to the axis being moved 6 cm anywhere.

Besides, the axis isn't measured in centimeters but degrees!

This being said, it is not my place to say wether we are in the End Times or not. I'm just an observer and studier like everyone else.

Yes, it is possible these are part of "the beginning of birth pains."

But after hearing for about 30 years (practically all my life) that we are in the End Times . . .

well, I feel like Bugs Bunny in the episode where he's in Sherwood Forest and is being "hunted" by the Sherrif of Nottingham. Little John keeps popping in to say, "Don't you worry, neever fear, Robin Hood will soon be here!" But Robin Hood doesn't show up, and near the end, Bugs is like, "Not again," and finally screams at Little John about it.

So, that's how I'm feeling. If I hear (analogy-wise), "Don't you worry, never fear, Robin Hood will soon be here!" one more time, I'm going to scream!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Well, it's not "people" who say all this stuff. Jesus tells us to be watchful and observant and wait for Him.

He tells us that the Lord isn't slow concerning His Promise to return as some count slow but is patient toward us, not wanting anyone to perish.

Still, there WILL come a time when our Lord WILL come for His Bride when she had readied herself.

He warns us to be READY and look up ...our redemption draws nigh.

Well, that's good enough for me. That's no fairy tale. That's Jesus warning us of His forthcoming return and I want to be ready and waiting.

Neb, remember the virgins waiting for the Bridegroom. Some fell asleep while others had their lamps trimmed and filled with oil and were ready for His return.

I'm an eager bride, so excited and ever-ready for her Lord to come for her...I can hardly wait.

• Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

JC49: It's just the signs of the times. Date setting is one thing; recognizing the signs of the times is another.

Jesus foretold us of events that would preceed His coming.

Ultimately, what matters is what is the condition of my soul? Naturally, I'm extremely concerned about the condition of other people's souls.

The most important thing CHRISTIANS need to do is check their spirit and examine their hearts against any kind of unforgiveness in their hearts.

Once I've forgiven someone, it's not only forgiven, it's forgotten as far as I'm concerned.

I hold no grudge. What's done is done. Over. Done!

I often sense bitterness in some beleivers and it's truly hurting THEIR walk with Christ. It doesn't hurt the person they resent. It hurts THEM! That's what's sad.

I hurt for their sakes.

I learned one day what incredible power is released in the Holy Spirit when I completely release and forgive people totally from ALL past offenses.

It's the most beautiful gift you can give and the most incredible liberation you can experience.

Total forgiveness is the ultimate joy in the universe and once experienced - God takes you to a higher level, I believe. It's like you go to a higher level of glory wen you are able to love an enemy or forgive an offender from your heart.

It's very powerful.

I've learned by forgiving others completely, I experience God's love more completely.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

Hey nebula...theres an article on this on the worthy news page...if you hadn't already found it. :wub:

Angel

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Thanks, Angel!

Is this what you mean?

Scientists: Quake may have made Earth wobble

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- The deadly Asian earthquake may have permanently accelerated the Earth's rotation, shortening days by a fraction of a second and caused the planet to wobble on its axis, U.S. scientists said Tuesday.

Richard Gross, a geophysicist with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, theorized that a shift of mass toward the Earth's center during the quake Sunday caused the planet to spin 3 microseconds, or millionths of a second, faster and to tilt about an inch on its axis.

When one huge tectonic plate beneath the Indian Ocean was forced below the edge of another "it had the effect of making the Earth more compact and spinning faster," Gross said.

Gross said changes predicted by his model probably are too minuscule to be detected by a global positioning satellite network that routinely measures changes in Earth's spin, but said the data may reveal a slight wobble.

The Earth's poles travel a circular path that normally varies by about 33 feet , so an added wobble of an inch is unlikely to cause long-term effects, he said.

"That continual motion is just used to changing," Gross said. "The rotation is not actually that precise. The Earth does slow down and change its rate of rotation."

When those tiny variations accumulate, planetary scientists must add a "leap second" to the end of a year, something that has not been done in many years, Gross said.

Scientists have long theorized that changes on the Earth's surface such as tide and groundwater shifts and weather could affect its spin but they have not had precise measurements to prove it, Caltech seismologist Hiroo Kanamori said.

"Even for a very large event, the effect is very small," Kanamori said. "It's very difficult to change the rotation rate substantially."

you see, this is what is frustrating me! notice the parts I highlighted.

OK?

It is facinating to see the effects such a large quake has on the entire globe, but really - these doomsayer claims make more out of what is reported than what is there.

No offense meant, I am just a litle flustered.

Global disasters have occured before in human history (such as the eruption of the Island of Krakatau (sp?) and life went on and recovered eventually.

Simple Newtonian physics: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Even your pushing against the Earth with your foot results in a return reaction force - only your action is so miniscule on the Earth that you notice no effect on the planet.

Now, here is a quote from a professional astronomer (goes by "The Bad Astronomer" because he loves to tackle bad astronomy -

"There is always a shift in rotation after a quake, but it's a matter of how much."

Of course a larger quake would have a larger shift than a smaller quake. And of course, though quakes of this magnitude are rare, they have happened before.

If everyone wants to talk about signs of the End - fine.

I just believe things need to be kept in perspective. I also believe things need to be kept accurate.

Look for the Lord, yes - but please don't keep jumping the gun!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  8

My heart goes out for the people who have suffered the tragedy of the earthquake.

Yes, the Earth moved on its' axis .

It has done this before.....but, how many times can it ,do such a thing?

When they sign the Peace Treaty......that is it.

Keep praying for others and their souls. Especially our loved ones.

We can't wait , now is the time to reach out to others for Christ.

LOVE and PEACE to everyone, <_<

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  02/14/1944

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  498
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/25/1949

You know, I truly wonder how authentic and accurate the statistics were back in those days to begin with, considering.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe way back, but many of these are in the 20th century.

I just found another source sighting the World's deadliest disasters. ( LINK - need to be registered to Washington Post on-line.)

1. 3.7 million lost in the 1932 flood in China along the Huang He River.

2. 300,000 in 1970 from a cyclone in Bangledesh.

3. 255,000 in 1976 from an earthquake in Tangshan, China.

The list goes on (decreasing in numbers and dates wobbling up and down).

What is interesting is that the top 8 are all in Asia.

#9 was an earthquake in Italy in 1908 where 70,000 - 100,000 lives were lost.

#11 is in Peru in 1970 and #14 is in Iran in 1990.

But the rest are all Asia.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Just so you understand, there are many things I just accepted from my early years that I've had reason to question and re-evaluate in my later years, and many of these have to do with the traditional interpretations of the End Times prophecies.

My statements here are a reflection of my re-evaluating.

Plus, actually knowing something about astronomy and hearing Christians crying (proverbially), "The sky is falling!" everytime there's a report about massive sunflares or an approaching comet or an eclipse or whatever (in other words, normal astronomical events), I just have to hang my head in frustration and embarrasment.

I also know things about oceanography and geology and meteorology. Earthquakes cause land to shift. This is no suprise. That this earthquake caused the island to be moved by 66 feet is indeed quite amazing, but not dazing.

This being said, it is not my place to say wether we are in the End Times or not. I'm just an observer and studier like everyone else.

Yes, it is possible these are part of "the beginning of birth pains."

But after hearing for about 30 years (practically all my life) that we are in the End Times . . .

well, I feel like Bugs Bunny in the episode where he's in Sherwood Forest and is being "hunted" by the Sherrif of Nottingham. Little John keeps popping in to say, "Don't you worry, neever fear, Robin Hood will soon be here!" But Robin Hood doesn't show up, and near the end, Bugs is like, "Not again," and finally screams at Little John about it.

So, that's how I'm feeling. If I hear (analogy-wise), "Don't you worry, never fear, Robin Hood will soon be here!" one more time, I'm going to scream!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SHALOM,

in my country(Italy)they say that the worst type of blind is the one that is not blind but refuses to see...no offence,but I really don't understand how you can mesaure prophecy in relation to your 30 years or mine anyway( I was saved in 1972 and have been studying prophecy since then...)

We,the believers,HAVE TO SEE time from God's point of view,ETERNITY.

We know that GOD IS PERFECT and ALL HE DOES IS PERFECT,correct?

So,from HIS point of observation,EVERYTHING IS ALREADY HAPPENED,for us who live in a time space plan is happening but for us it is a SLOW process and the majority of us has a short life time span to observe part of the happening,but for THE LORD a day is as a thousand years and a thousands years like a day..so...

from Jesus incarnation and life and ministry and death and resurrection and ascension at His Father right hand is a mere 2 days..for us 2000 years(more or less,depends on which calendar we refer to and that is another subject to long to examine now)...

What we are seeing or observing is AN ACCELERATION of events( forgive my english,italian is my mother tongue),I mean that RAPIDLY,the things that JESUS and before Him the prophets said,and the Apostles after,ARE HAPPENING at a neckbreaking speed.....

In the 20th century we had 2 World wars!!! aand NOT ONE DAY OF PEACE nowhere SINCE!!!!!Wars and rumors of wars,pestilences,earthquakes in divers places and etnic conflicts and the fall of morals and the PERILOUS times and....in short,THESE ARE THE DAYS of NOAH,THESE are the days of LOT!!!

These are the days preceding JUDGMENT on the sinners rejecting CHRIST,HE MUST COME BACK,HE IS COMING BACK...and we just cannot lull ourselves into believing that the events that are happening now are the same that happened in the 18th century etc...I mean THE TECHNOLOGY tthat we possess is the reason why JESUS said :"WATCH and PRAY" We are the generation that CAN WATCH LIVE what is happening anywhere in the world,my grandfather couldn't ,we are the generation that can HEAR of WARS and rumors of wars...in fact you are somewhere in USA( are you there?) and I am in queensland Australia and you will read this reply on your pc becuse of Internet and only 30 or 20 years ago or less this would be science fiction!!!!!

We are the generations of SEPTMBER 11 and now of the 11 nations tsunamis hit!!!!

JESUS IS COMING BACK and mark my words,in the 2005 we will SEE,WATCH and HEAR ALL THE EVENTS that JESUS WHO IS GOD and CANNOT LIE said in the sinoptic gospel would precede His return FOR His church and afterwards With His church!!!!

So yes,lets WATCH,HEAR,SEE,but lets also PRAY,PRAY,PRAY...GOD bless us!! MARANATHA!!!SHALOM!!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

One thing is for sure, we can clearly see the scriptures that foretold us of what would happen prior to the return of Jesus unfold right before our very eyes. :-)

Notice the EU getting involved...Hindu and Moslem places of worship stepping into the lime light...and Christians being repremanded for not helping more...

Jesus is coming, Jesus is coming...let everyone know, the church will soon be on the go...Jesus is coming!! :-)