OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

The title is too long and is cut off, so I am posting it here: "Does the Body of Christ rule & reign with Christ during the Millennium, in heaven or on earth?"

This debate is between Marylin C and inchrist ONLY.  All other members are instructed NOT to post.  If you do, you will be banned from the thread and reprimanded for your participation.  There are more than enough forums for anyone to have their own discussion on an issue.

Marylin will argue that Jesus, with the Body of Christ,  will rule and reign from Heaven during the millennium.

inchrist will argue that Jesus, with the Body of Christ, will rule and reign from Earth during the millennium.

This is not a debate of who will reign with Christ, but from where.

The following are guidelines that need to be followed:

• Be respectful of each other time.  Realize that debates are more thought out and a fast reply, more than likely, will not happen.  On the other side of this, if one of you will be away for over 24 hours, please notify the other that you will be away and will not be replying until you return.  This minimizes the anxiety while allowing time to put together a well thought out response.
  • Unless otherwise stated, a response is "expected" within 24 hours.  If a response is not made within a few days, and no explanation is given as to the reason for an absence, the debate will be seen as no argument and will be closed.
  • Either side may back out of a debate at any time.
  • When it is agreed by both parties, the debate can be closed at any time.
  • Please stay on focus.  You both are agreeing to a topic, so your replies need to pertain to the subject matter.  Sidetracking the debate will only degrades your response in the eyes of the readers, weakening your side of the argument.
  • It is advisable to focus on scripture when replying.  The use of other material is acceptable, but remember, Gods word carries the most authority, not mans beliefs.  If you do quote material, even scripture, you have to provide the book, chapter and verse of the bible, or the book, page and author of the other material.  If it is a website, a link to the page needs to accompany the quote, and only use material that clearly stated you can copy it.
  • No twisting or scripture or any other text is allowed.  It is possible to come out with a different understanding of what is read, but obvious twisting is also very evident and is not allowed.
  • Online etiquette is followed during debates.  All caps is like screaming at someone, as well as increased fonts.  All caps or larger fonts, while in bold increases the volume.  Adding color also increases the volume.  Any of these are seen as a disrespectful act toward the other and may be a reason to prematurely close the debate.  Both of you are mature adults and are expected to respond in such a manner.  Placing a word or phrase in bold, or underlining a word or sentence, is acceptable when adding emphasis to a section of a statement.
  • A straw-man argument is also seen in a negative light by those reading.  Please think through your words before posting.
  • If, for any reason, the statements from the other side are not clear, do not assume you understand, ask for clarity.  All too ofter arguments based on assumptions have caused discourse and are a waste of time.  There is nothing wrong in asking question for clarity,  In my book, asking for clarity shows respect for the poster.
  • Do not "read into" what the other has posted. 
  • Be sure you say what you want to say before posting.  Take the time you need to read through your replies many time to ensure your reply is as clear as possible.  Personally, I find it helpful to step back for a time, then return to a reply, reading it as if this was the first time ever reading it with no preconceived idea as to what the author is saying.  This allows me to see what is written in the same light any other person may see it, giving me the opportunity to correct any wording that is not clear, add something that was left out, or remove something I really didn't want to say.  Too often, hasty replies only lead to wishing you had said things differently and/or needs to be thoroughly explained/defended.
  • No rabbit trails or baiting.
  • Debates are not a court trial where one must win.  A debate is where each side provides evidence behind their belief to bring a deeper understanding as to why they believe the way they do.

To begin this debate, each debater will given the opportunity to provide an opening statement that clarifies from what position they will be starting from.  It has been decided that Marilyn will give the first opening statement.

Again, this debate is only between Marilyn and inchrist.  All other posts will be deleted.

Let the debate begin!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

I would like to thank OneLight for setting up this debate & also the moderators who will oversee it. I also appreciate inchrist for joining with me in this debate & may we both come to know God`s word in a deeper way.

Now as we will be speaking of God`s word I would pray -

`Holy Spirit please guide us, enlighten our minds & enlarge our hearts to understand the truth. Clear our minds, reveal error & help us to accurately handle your holy word. Above all may we be drawn closer to knowing our Lord & Saviour.`

My opening statement:-

I believe that the Body of Christ is being built up to maturity in Christ to rule & reign with Him. In the Millennium, Christ will rule through Israel over the nations, however the Body of Christ, being of a different purpose will rule & reign with Christ in & from heaven.

Edited by Marilyn C

Firstly I would like to bring out a point that I`m sure we both agree with, but one that I will pick up on later.

We are told that the Body of Christ will be a royal priesthood.

`But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God`s own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvellous light.` (1 Peter 2: 9)

This royal priesthood is built together & grows into a spiritual house, a holy priesthood.

`you...as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.` (1 Peter 2: 5)

The Apostle John gives glory to the Lord Jesus Christ for the wondrous purpose for the Body of Christ.

`To Him who has made us to be kings & priests to His God & Father, to Him be the glory & the dominion forever & ever. Amen.` (Rev. 1: 6)

Then we know that it is by the Holy Spirit that the Body of Christ grows into this Holy royal priesthood.

`when He, the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; & He will disclose to you what is to come. He shall glorify Me; for He shall take of Mine, & shall disclose it to you.` (John 16: 13 & 14)

Thus `speaking the truth in love we are to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the Head, even Christ, from whom the whole Body being fitted & held together by that which every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the Body for the building up of itself in love.` (Eph. 4: 15 & 16)

`until we all attain to the unity of the faith & of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.` (Eph. 4: 13)

Timothy also encourages the Body of Christ with this wonderful promise.

`It is a trustworthy statement; for if we died with Him, we shall also live with Him; if we endure, we shall also reign with Him;......` (2 Tim. 2: 11 & 12)

Thus we see that the Body of Christ is a royal priesthood (king priests), built together by the Holy Spirit that will rule & reign with Christ.

Edited by Marilyn C

Inchrist, could you please explain further your thoughts on your comment  -

`I believe we Christians are grafted in with the Israelites.`

That`s fine, inchrist (re: late). It gave me more time to go deeper into God`s word.

Now you had some very good points there, inchrist. I so agree with you that Israel is a special group & has not been replaced by the Body of Christ. (replacement theory) As you highlighted, Israel will be a `holy people,` a `peculiar people unto Himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.` They are `set apart,` a `treasure people.`

Knowing this it is so amazing to realise, as you said that God does not wish for any man to perish. God sent Jesus to redeem Israel first, (as you so rightly said). And this salvation has been extended to the non-Israelites. We see even before Christ came that the Gentiles could come under Israel & receive the salvation blessing. We think of ` Rahab, Ruth, etc & even those pre Israel, `Seth, Enoch, Noah etc.`

Thus it makes us think then why didn`t God just continue with only these two groups –Israel & the Gentiles (nations). We as Gentiles could have come in Christ as just Gentile believers. But as we know God made another special group, another `Ekklesia, called out ones,` another `holy, set apart,` group & Christ became intimately involved with them being their `Head,` & they His Body – we know they are the Body of Christ.

They are also called for a special purpose. And that is where our discussion is leading. I know we think differently on this point but I am sure, like the Apostle Paul says –

`I press on toward the goal of the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, (mature) have this attitude ; & if anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you;.....` (Phil. 3: 14 & 15)

If we think differently, as we are open to the Holy Spirit I believe He will lead us into all the truth.

Now you said –

We need to understand that God will not be glorified in other than Jacob/Israel.
`And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.` (Is. 49: 3)`

Now inchrist had you realised that God did not say `in whom I will only be glorified.` The word `only` is not there. So is God glorified in any others? Let`s have a look at what God says.

`The God of Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified His servant Jesus,....` (Acts 3: 13) (Peter talking to the men of Israel on the day of Pentecost.)

`The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, & if children, heirs also, heirs of God & fellow-heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him.` (Rom. 8: 16 & 17)

`For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren; & whom He predestined, these He also called, & whom He called, these He also justified; & whom He justified, these He also glorified.`
(Rom. 8: 29 & 30)

Thus we are now heading towards –

What is Israel`s purpose?

What is the Body of Christ`s purpose
?

I will let you have a turn now, inchrist.

Had you realised inchrist, that the Holy Spirit who described Israel as `a chosen people, a nation, holy, peculiar,`  (as you said) also described the Body of Christ the same except for one little detail - the word ROYAL,  (kingly in nature - Strong`s)

`But you are a chosen race, a ROYAL priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God`s own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvellous light.` (1 Peter 2: 9)

The Holy Spirit through the Apostle John also gave us this extra detail -

`To Him who loves us , & released us from our sins by His own blood, & He has made us to be kings & priests to His God & Father; to Him be the glory & the dominion forever & ever.` (Rev. 1: 5 & 6)

Thus we see that God has called 2 special groups -

Israel - to be priests unto God.

The Body of Christ - to be Kings & Priests unto God.

The next point I would like to make is in relation to your thought -

`I believe we Christians are grafted in with the Israelities...`

Here we see in Romans 11: 16 - 24 the description of Israel being grafted back into Christ & the Christians grafted in also to Christ. This phrase `in Christ,` does not mean we are all in His chest, or all following Him around as a long line. The phrase `in Christ,` means -

- under His authority.

- in His care.

- saved from eternal damnation.

- made holy.

This chapter gives us our position in Christ but does not tell each group where they will serve Him, in what realm. My brother here has made the mistake of assuming because Israel has been called of God to rule the nations on the earth then that is where we will be. And there are many scriptures in the Old Testament that tell us of Israel`s calling & inheritance - ruling the nations on earth.

However to find out where the Body of Christ`s calling & inheritance is we obviously need to look at all the relevant scriptures pertaining to this topic. And they are only revealed from Acts onwards as the Body of Christ was not revealed before that. So here are some of the scriptures that God tells us of our calling & inheritance -

`Blessed be the God & Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable & undefiled & will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,..

(1 Peter 1: 3 & 4)

`We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus & the love which you have for all the saints; because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the world of truth....` (Col. 1: 3 - 5)

`God being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us.......made us alive with (in) Christ & raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.`  (Eph. 2: 5 & 6)

`For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has to subject all things to Himself.` (Phil. 3: 20 & 21)

`Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the Apostle & High Priest of our confession.`  (Heb. 3: 1)

So we have 

- a heavenly calling.

- an inheritance in heaven.

- a hope in heaven.

- seated in heavenly places.

- our citizenship in heaven.

And to top it all off -`he who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit with Me on My throne,.....`(Rev. 3: 21)

Thus I would encourage us with the words of the Holy Spirit through the Apostle Paul -

`Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do; forgetting what lies behind & reaching forward to what lies ahead; I press on toward the goal for the prize of the UPWARD (ON TOP) call of God in Christ Jesus.`  (Phil. 3: 13 & 14)

Edited by Marilyn C

Hi inchrist,

You have some very good scriptures there concerning Israel & what God has done & will do in the Nation. What a wonderful calling & inheritance they have.

Now before I write more of my thoughts, could you please show me where you get your belief that -

`The rule of non-Israelites & us Christians is to be servants...`  `to His chosen people Israel.`

Hi inchrist,

I was taking the word `rule` as you thought. So can you explain to me what you are thinking re: the Body of Christ & Israel in the Millennium?

If the people of Israel are in Israel, where are the Christian believers?  And what is each group doing? Do you have scriptures that show you this?