justfaith

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Days Won:  22

What's with the eating blood?  Do you eat blood?  Me, I don't know anyone who eats blood...or drinks it either

What are you really asking?  You have received the same answers over and over and yet you keep referring to blood...  

The restrictions presented to the Israelites in the OT are not presented to believers after Christ ascended.  If they were, Paul would have insisted that

every male Gentile believer had to be circumscized and yet he argued against it.  

In the same manner, you do all things by faith and if you think it is wrong then don't do it or you will be sinning as what you in fear is not faith.

However, I get this nagging feeling you are actually fishing for something and no one bit yet

• Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

What's with the eating blood?  Do you eat blood?  Me, I don't know anyone who eats blood...or drinks it either

What are you really asking?  You have received the same answers over and over and yet you keep referring to blood...  

The restrictions presented to the Israelites in the OT are not presented to believers after Christ ascended.  If they were, Paul would have insisted that

every male Gentile believer had to be circumscized and yet he argued against it.  

In the same manner, you do all things by faith and if you think it is wrong then don't do it or you will be sinning as what you in fear is not faith.

However, I get this nagging feeling you are actually fishing for something and no one bit yet

The Mosaic covenant with the dietary laws was given to Israel.

But, in reality, the question about blood is a good one.

To start, the most obvious food would be blood sausage. Yes, it is made of blood. But, meat contains blood in it, if the blood is not removed, so anyone who is eating meat which is not kosher is consuming blood.

Now for the biblical verses, starting with the command to Noah and all of his descendents.

Genesis 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. 2 The fear of you and the terror of you will be on every beast of the earth and on every bird of the sky; with everything that creeps on the ground, and all the fish of the sea, into your hand they are given. 3 Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant. 4 Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

Acts 15:19Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, 20 but that we write to them that they abstain from [j]things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.

Acts 21:25 But concerning the Gentiles who have believed, we wrote, having decided that they should abstain from meat sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from fornication.”

So, we have three verses which apply directly to Gentiles saying not to eat flesh with blood. One very specifically says to Gentile believers, not to eat meat with it's blood.

On the reverse side, we have other verses which mentions meat which has been sacrificed to idols being alright to eat, unless it might offend the conscious of another person. Meat sacrificed to idols would not have had the blood removed. 

1 Cor  10:23All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. 25 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake; 26 for the earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains. 27 If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake. 28 But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake; 29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other man’s; for why is my freedom judged by another’s conscience?      

So, while there is a law against eating anything sacrificed to idols, this change in the New Covenant would also indicate that the prohibition against consuming blood is also based on conscience.   

The same questions regarding idols, blood etc has been asked 5 times with the same answers Q.

I understand what is being asked but the why is not really connected to the question IMO

But of course you can keep answering the same question

It's not about blood sausage as far as I can tell...

The same questions regarding idols, blood etc has been asked 5 times with the same answers Q.

I understand what is being asked but the why is not really connected to the question IMO

But of course you can keep answering the same question

It's not about blood sausage as far as I can tell...

Thanks. I will continue answering.

In the Christian world, during biblical times, the initial believers were all Jewish. In Jerusalem, the laws were the Mosaic law, so the Jewish people did not eat anything with the blood still in it. At that time, it would have been a general practice that even Jewish believers would not have consumed blood in their homes or anything sacrificed to idols.

On the otherside, Gentiles were eating meat with blood.

1 Cor 10:23All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. 25 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake; 26 for the earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains. 27 If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake. 28 But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake; 29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other man’s; for why is my freedom judged by another’s conscience?

1 Cor 10:23 makes the decision based on conscience for the benefit of a neighbor. What that means to me is if you live in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, and want to reach out to the Jewish population, you would eat a Kosher diet.  Today, most of the Christians are Gentile and eat meat with blood (not Kosher). So, for the sake of fellow Christians, when wanting to eat together, blood will be eaten.

The best example would be when Peter was given the vision of the sheet with unclean animals. Peter, a Jew who would have kept Kosher,  went to the home of Cornelius, a Gentile, and spent several days with him. Peter, as a guest, would have been served non-Kosher meat with blood.  We know that the Gentiles were saved and received the Holy Spirit. When Peter returned to Jerusalem to give a report, he was questioned. 

Acts 11:2And when Peter came up to Jerusalem, those who were circumcised took issue with him, 3 saying, “You went to uncircumcised men and ate with them.”

Notice, it wasn't just that Peter went to Gentiles, but also that he ate with them. He ate non-kosher food with the blood still in it. Peter answered by repeating the vision about the unclean food which was given by God to let Peter know it was ok to go to the house of a Gentile, even though the food was considered unclean and the gentiles were considered unclean.  

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

In certain societies where the climate is cold the only source of vitamin C is blood. When one lives off nothing but reindeer all winter and has no access to fresh fruit of vegetables then drinking reindeer blood is necessary to fend off scurvy. I'm not saying that these people are Christians but if they were what would they do to stay healthy?

Missed by point...maybe the op will address it as I was actually referrring to that

I'm not the one asking about blood, am I.

oh well

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

From the -OT

Leviticus 17:10-12King James Version (KJV)

10 And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people.

11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

12 Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood.

Genesis 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

The Mosaic covenant with the dietary laws was given to Israel.

But, in reality, the question about blood is a good one.

To start, the most obvious food would be blood sausage. Yes, it is made of blood. But, meat contains blood in it, if the blood is not removed, so anyone who is eating meat which is not kosher is consuming blood.

Now for the biblical verses, starting with the command to Noah and all of his descendents.

Genesis 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. 2 The fear of you and the terror of you will be on every beast of the earth and on every bird of the sky; with everything that creeps on the ground, and all the fish of the sea, into your hand they are given. 3 Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant. 4 Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

Acts 15:19Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, 20 but that we write to them that they abstain from [j]things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood.

Acts 21:25 But concerning the Gentiles who have believed, we wrote, having decided that they should abstain from meat sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from fornication.”

So, we have three verses which apply directly to Gentiles saying not to eat flesh with blood. One very specifically says to Gentile believers, not to eat meat with it's blood.

On the reverse side, we have other verses which mentions meat which has been sacrificed to idols being alright to eat, unless it might offend the conscious of another person. Meat sacrificed to idols would not have had the blood removed. 

1 Cor  10:23All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. 25 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake; 26 for the earth is the Lord’s, and all it contains. 27 If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake. 28 But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake; 29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other man’s; for why is my freedom judged by another’s conscience?      

So, while there is a law against eating anything sacrificed to idols, this change in the New Covenant would also indicate that the prohibition against consuming blood is also based on conscience.   

Would you eat blood ?

To Noah, after the flood, the Lord said "Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as (or in the same manner) the green herbs have I given you all these things." - Genesis 9:3. So in the same way he gave the green herbs.

He gave them the moving things of the earth. Then we turn to Genesis 1:29 and read: "And God said, Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed; which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat".

God gave to man the herbs with a provision, and only the ones bearing seeds are we to use for food. So the moving things were given us in the same way. God did not make the provision when he gave the herbs to the beast. verse 30.

The tree in the midst of the garden, which he had planted, was forbidden and a death penalty pronounced on the offenders. After reading these scriptures, we are safe in saying that there was a provision made in the moving things to be used for food.