IGNORED

How can we recognize the answer of God?

Melissa.T

Guest AshleyM

God's answer will not contradict Scripture. It will not be ungodly.

God's answer can be confirmed by the prophets, a voice from heaven and the Holy Spirit, as these witnessed Jesus baptism. This might be represented by verses from the Bible, the still small voice within us, and from godly mature Christians such as a pastor. So I agree with the 3 witnesses.

When we pray earnestly asking that God's will be done, not ours, we can receive answers of yes, no, or wait. But we are also told that we have not because we ask not. So if we have a genuine need, we are told to ask of God. We are also told to cast all our cares upon Him because He cares for us.

We should not pray amiss, to spend upon our pleasures. James 4:3

Should we receive and answer that makes us very uneasy, or has taken away the peace that God gives us, it is likely not from God. We are told to let the Peace of God rule (act as an umpire) in our hearts. Col.3:15.

Hope this helps,

Willa

Thanks Willa for sharing this, I have had a question and I believe I now know the answer to my question based on your information.

Ashley

God's answer will not contradict Scripture. It will not be ungodly.

God's answer can be confirmed by the prophets, a voice from heaven and the Holy Spirit, as these witnessed Jesus baptism. This might be represented by verses from the Bible, the still small voice within us, and from godly mature Christians such as a pastor. So I agree with the 3 witnesses.

When we pray earnestly asking that God's will be done, not ours, we can receive answers of yes, no, or wait. But we are also told that we have not because we ask not. So if we have a genuine need, we are told to ask of God. We are also told to cast all our cares upon Him because He cares for us.

We should not pray amiss, to spend upon our pleasures. James 4:3

Should we receive and answer that makes us very uneasy, or has taken away the peace that God gives us, it is likely not from God. We are told to let the Peace of God rule (act as an umpire) in our hearts. Colossians.3:15

Hope this helps,

Willa

Thanks Willa for sharing this, I have had a question and I believe I now know the answer to my question based on your information.

Ashley

:thumbsup:

Welcome~!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  493
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

Here is a way. It needs practice, but something you can rely on once you mastered it. Very useful esp. in discerning God's will in the small things of life. Would take a lot of faith, however, to practice it in life-changing decisions.

So how can you recognize the answer of God?

My reply to your question is... *when peace and confidence fills your heart about the answer.* That is, you are sure of it, despite of the oppositions and difficulties you might face.

Saying it in another way: When there is doubt in your heart... that is not the answer of God.

Note: This is not about feelings. This is about being sensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit. Also, remember that God's answers do not always agree with what we prayed for. You may have been confident with the answer, and have followed it, but things may still turn out differently. It would take a lot of faith to be at peace with that.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  2

God will make it clear if you need to know, apart from that just chill out and enjoy the fact that He has heard your prayer, regardless of how you expect it to be answered.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

years ago I was introduced to a saying that Augustine coined several hundred years ago: "First love God, then do as you please."  

After reading his thoughts on the statement I learned that what he meant was that we as God's people should always first endeavor to seek God personally and biblically. That is to say, we should want to do the things that please Him according to His word.  Therefore, if whatever you want to do is not contrary to His word, and you wish to do it, then do it.  

God's will is not some mysterious, time-released revelation that we each get little by little--but rather, it is foremost His word.  So, one need not worry, "should I go this college or that college?" Or, "should I take this job or that job?"  Whatever aligns with His word (or that His word doesn't forbid it) then that is what we are creatively free to do.  And He has pleasure in our Godly choices.  

That's how I roll.  

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

His answer will always line up with the already written Word and will exalt Him. amen

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hi Melissa, glad to meet you.

Admittedly, this is one that I struggle with myself. Your friends had some great ideas, and there are a lot of great answers here so far. As someone who has been spending time trying to figure out how God answers me, I can only add that it may also be in a different way, every single time.

My own examples may shed some light on this. I told God, if I did not meet someone in a certain time frame, I was going to enter seminary. I have been single most of my life, but sure enough, I met someone. Then she turned out to live too far away for my old truck. I figured it was coincidence and was about to end it when suddenly my truck, which had never broken down before, broke down. I had to get a car, but could continue the relationship. Our relationship progressed, and there were other close calls, but that woman is now my wife. In this example, my answer came in the form of God making happen what he wanted to happen and no matter how much I resisted him, it happened anyway.

My second example. A job came up at the company I work for. They prefer to hire within. They prefer to hire people who have been there for awhile. They had qualifications which I was the only one in the company that had them all. I happened to be doing a resume' for the job in a college English class when the job came up. I got an "A" on said resume. The guy who was doing the hiring was a close friend of mine who had already said he wanted to take me to his department. Everything seemed to be arranged for me, much like it had in my first example. For someone who is used to repeated failure in his career, I was confident because of my previous experience and how so similar it was to this one, that God was behind me getting this promotion(He was behind me not getting it, but that is another story entirely). Needless to say, I did not even get an interview.

Melissa dear, I am one of those is waiting to hear a straight answer from my God. To for once, be let in on the plan and told exactly what is going to happen and how my problem will be fixed. I have never heard of that ever happening, and there are times during the trials of life that you need exactly that and don't get it.

My conclusion is this, as previously mentioned, your answer will never go against the word. The Bible prepares us to make the decisions he wants us to make. In those times when we are truly lost and cannot find the answer in the word, he often gives others understanding of the word that we had not previously noticed. If even that fails you, we must press on with faith, calculating every action we do take to be one taken with the priorities of loving and obeying God and loving each other, first. If you cannot see the answer immediately, do not become bitter. Looking back, you may be able to see what he was doing, as I did when I did not get that interview.

Much love Melissa.