JFSurvivor

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

So I was talking in the chat room about this. Is this what Christianity basically is: you do your best for Jesus and where you fall short Jesus makes up for it and in this whole process you should be growing. Right?

Ok so here are some questions (if I have that right):

1) how do you know if you're growing?

2) how do you grow when your spirit is willing but your flesh is weak?

3) what do you do if you are so spiritually and mentally exhausted you feel hopeless? 

Bible verses, real life experience are welcome. 

Also I don't know if I put this in the right place so sorry if this post isn't right for this forum. :-/

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Hi!  :th_wave:

Are you sinning less than you were a year, six months, or even a month before? If so, you're growing.

When you don't want to do something you know is wrong, but you do it anyway.

3) what do you do if you are so spiritually and mentally exhausted you feel hopeless? 

Simply rest in Christ. Lay your burdens upon His shoulders. I find peace by quietly talking to Jesus as I would my best friend.

Some Scriptures you may find helpful:

Psalm 46:10

Psalm 62:1-2

Hebrews 13: 6

Isaiah 41:9-10

Psalm 56:3-4

2 Timothy 2:13

Joshua 1:9

Proverbs 18:10

Psalm 91:14-16

Jeremiah 29:11

Psalm 119:49-50

Psalm 9:9-10

Romans 8:28

Hope this helps!  :heart:

Guest shiloh357

So I was talking in the chat room about this. Is this what Christianity basically is: you do your best for Jesus and where you fall short Jesus makes up for it and in this whole process you should be growing. Right?

I don't do my best for Jesus.  What I do is fully surrender to Him so that He can, in the Person of the Holy Spirit live His life through me.  I will be the first to admit that I am an imperfect vessel for him to work through.   But the goal is not to do my best.  My best will always fall short.  He wants me to stop trying to serve Him in my strength and exchange my strength for His strength.   That only happens when I truly give everything over to Him.   That's easier said than done.  The flesh (sinful nature) in each of us rises up and wants to stake a claim over us and we each struggle with the winning the battle against the flesh.   There isn't one of that doesn't fight that battle every day.

But I will tell you this...   The way to overcome the flesh is to walk (order your life) after the things of the Spirit (godly principles in Scripture).   If you are filling your life with ungodly TV shows, music that incites sinful desires, if you putting things into your mind and heart that are sinful, you will never win that battle.  Starve your sinful nature and feed your heart with the Word of God, praise and worship music, and spend time in communion every day and you will begin to see some amazing changes take place.  Keep renewing your mind by staying in the Word of God and surround yourself with friends who will encourage you in your walk.

Serving God sometimes means we have to sever relationships that will impede our walk with God.  That's probably the toughest part, but it's what we have to do.  There is nothing in this world that we should be so attached to that we could not give it up if the Lord asks us to.  It doesn't mean we become snobs or that we don't associate with sinners.  It just means that our most important relationships and closest friends need to be other like-minded believers who are walking down the same path wanting to serve God.

There's no silver bullet answer.  But trust me, if you will be faithful to walk with the Lord, you will look back in a year and you will know you have grown.

That's our default condition as believers.   Paul wrestled with that in Rom. 7:14-25.   When even the greatest theologian of the church is admitting to us that he struggles with sin, we are in good company.   Anyone who won't admit that they struggle with sin and with the flesh is a fraud.

That usually comes from trying to do everything in your own strength. 

Here is a Scripture that I hope will minister to you:

Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday. Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

(Psa 37:3-7)

Also, look up the Scriptures that Tinky gave you.  She gave you some good answers and lots of good Scriptures that will speak to your questions, as well.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

Also I don't know if I put this in the right place so sorry if this post isn't right for this forum. :-/

Why not open up God's Word for yourself with asking Him for understanding? If you at least show Him you want to believe on Him, talk to Him like you would with your loved ones. If you are sincere with Him, He might just surprise you.

But if you doubt His existence and His Word as the Truth, then don't expect anything.

How many groups in this present world wouldn't expect you to at least give them the benefit of the doubt, to hear them out? Why should God be given less of a chance than those other groups?

One thing Christianity is not, is religion, even though the majority call it a religion. Christianity is about God's Truth which is not a religion, because religion is something man creates to appear holy. Religion cannot make anyone holy, only God can.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Its a little bit more than that...

Christianity is a life commitment. A commitment to doing the hard things.

You mentioned:"you do your best for Jesus and where you fall short Jesus makes up for it"

that is not Jesus saying, oh well...if you can't do it. That is Jesus saying you do everything you can and then I will cover the gap between try and succeed

Failure.....though a common occurance is not an acceptable end.  Merely the reason to restart the effort

Jesus empowers us to succeed.  How do you know your growing....when it hurts.  What do you do when you feel empty....fall on Jesus and what do you do when your flesh is weak, slap it around abit until it behaves  ;)  Or as the bible puts in Romans 12 "Present your body as a living sacrifice which is your REASONABLE Service"

Those who will to do, will do. No excuses

James 1 tells us that trials will come and we should be glad for them, for it through those trials that we grow,

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. (KJV)

"It doesn't matter what you've heard, impossible is not a word, its just a reason for someone not to try"

The Video below is a song you might find comforting

*** Videos are to be posted in the Video Forums only ***

Edited by OneLight
Embedded video outside of the video forums

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,250
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

OK, I went to your site and peaked at your other posts.  You said that you have lost friends because you recently made a stronger commitment to the Lord.  That is a huge sign of growth. Jesus said that you are not worthy of Him unless you lose friends and even family relationships.  It means that you are set apart to God and other people can see it.  

Yes, at first it is lonely and depressing.  But the friendships in Christ are much stronger because His love is stronger.  

So are there woman's fellowships or Bible studies in your church?  If so, do join.  Even old ladies groups can be a real blessing.  I found these the most supportive when I first recommitted my life to the Lord.  They had been there and done that.  There were people there I could call for advice and prayer for my problems.  I could go to coffee or lunch with them. My husband was not saved at the time, my mom had just died, and I needed the support of these friendships.  

This is probably not what you were looking for, but it may be God's answer.  

Have you seen a doctor to make sure you don't have a physical problem like anemia?  Ruling that out, have you ever asked God to refill you with His Holy Spirit?  I had become drained and didn't even realize it till my new pastor prayed that way for me.  As I walked away from speaking with him I realized that I had not been depending on God as I once had, and immediately He filled me again.  It felt like a breath of fresh air revitalizing me.  I had been in a church that largely did not understand the way the Holy Spirit works in lives so they had been quenching the Spirit and would not receive any outreach of God's love from me.  The Holy Spirit intends to flow out through us to others, and with no outlet He sort of stagnates.   

Most importantly, are you reading your New Testament and praying every day?  Depend on God to lead you and fill you.  He is the only One who can fill the emptiness in our lives.  Look to Him, not to people. This is also how we grow:  We apply God's word to our problems.  Things like "bless those who persecute you and pray for those who spitefully use you."  Then read the psalms and proverbs.  Underline the things that help or highlight them with a crayon.  

Now reread Shiloh's post.

Blessings,

Willa

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/12/1986

1 There are fruits you bear such as love and mercy.

2 This is one of the best for growth by us choosing Him over sin.

3 You look to Him for strength, often times if you are where He wants you then you will find strength.

• Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

1)  How do you know if you're growing?

One way to tell is do you desire the Word of God, and just from your post, you have this desire.  Peter states it this way:

As new-born babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby. 

I Peter 2:2  

In the Book of Acts we are told of the new believers:

And they continue in the steadfastly in the Apostles doctrine and fellowship and breaking of bread, and in prayers. 

Acts 2:42

So that if you are in a NT Church sharing in fellowship and breaking bread and prayer, your growth is most assure.

2)  How do you grow when your spirit is willing but your flesh is weak?

I think Shiloh gave some excellent advice.  But we also see that on the night that Jesus was arrested that He waited with His Apostle, and after they went to sleep on Him, Christ stated:

40)   And He cometh to the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith to Peter, What could ye not watch with Me one hour?

41)  Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the Spirit is indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Matthew 26:41-42

We as Christian have a direct access to the Father thru Christ, so that the Father is always willing to hear from us, but we (and I include myself more than anybody) have a tenacity to think that God is a long distance call and He charges us, but in Jesus we have direct access for free to the Father.

Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in the time of need.

Hebrews 4:12

3)  What do you do if you are spiritually and mentally exhausted you feel hopeless?

This is a sure sign of need of Fellowship.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Hebrews 10:25

By fellowship we receive exhorting that is building up our spirit.  That along with pray mention earlier will give us strength.  But we must remember we are commanded over and over to renew our minds Romans 12:1-2, Ephesians 4:23-24; Colossians 3:10.

For Paul states that the believer warfare is a mental battle:

3)  For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.

4)  (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

5)  Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself  agasinst the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience to Christ.

I Corinthians 10:3-5

Paul gives a great example of how to renew our minds:

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there is any praise, think on these things.

Philippians 4:8

Keeping our minds on all that is true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtue, and praise we are to think on these things, cause in all likelihood these are gifts from the Father.

Its a little bit more than that...

Christianity is a life commitment. A commitment to doing the hard things.

You mentioned:"you do your best for Jesus and where you fall short Jesus makes up for it"

that is not Jesus saying, oh well...if you can't do it. That is Jesus saying you do everything you can and then I will cover the gap between try and succeed

Failure.....though a common occurance is not an acceptable end.  Merely the reason to restart the effort

Jesus empowers us to succeed.  How do you know your growing....when it hurts.  What do you do when you feel empty....fall on Jesus and what do you do when your flesh is weak, slap it around abit until it behaves  ;)  Or as the bible puts in Romans 12 "Present your body as a living sacrifice which is your REASONABLE Service"

Those who will to do, will do. No excuses

James 1 tells us that trials will come and we should be glad for them, for it through those trials that we grow,

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. (KJV)

"It doesn't matter what you've heard, impossible is not a word, its just a reason for someone not to try"

The Video below is a song you might find comforting

*** Videos are to be posted in the Video Forums only ***

:thumbsup:

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. Romans 1:17

Hallelujah~!