IGNORED

U.S. Christians wearing orange in Church to honor ISIS victims

missmuffet

Even though I have compassion for those who are being persecuted I don't see the need for it in church either...to me it is a fad that some are likely to forget. I am one who hate's being told what color I should war for what day or event.

I don't have a lot of clothes of my own as it is and most of what I own are hand me downs many of which are dark colors.....Modesty is what matters to me .

It's not about telling you what colour to wear. You can wear what you want. It's meant to be a symbol of solidarity. Do you refuse to wear a poppy as a symbol of war remembrance because you don't want to be told what flower to wear?

So if you don't see a need for this in church, then where should it be done? If you believe that it is a fad that will be forgotten, then it probably will be... if everybody has the same attitude as you. Likewise murdered Christians will be forgotten as well, if everybody believes that there is no need for this sort of thing in church.

Perhaps we should all go to church to feel good about ourselves and forget about others who are being persecuted. After all, it's not happening to us so why should we bother?

I don't think that is what Holly is saying at all. We are not supposed to criticize our brother and sisters for stating their opinion, are we?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Even though I have compassion for those who are being persecuted I don't see the need for it in church either...to me it is a fad that some are likely to forget. I am one who hate's being told what color I should war for what day or event.

I don't have a lot of clothes of my own as it is and most of what I own are hand me downs many of which are dark colors.....Modesty is what matters to me .

It's not about telling you what colour to wear. You can wear what you want. It's meant to be a symbol of solidarity. Do you refuse to wear a poppy as a symbol of war remembrance because you don't want to be told what flower to wear?

So if you don't see a need for this in church, then where should it be done? If you believe that it is a fad that will be forgotten, then it probably will be... if everybody has the same attitude as you. Likewise murdered Christians will be forgotten as well, if everybody believes that there is no need for this sort of thing in church.

Perhaps we should all go to church to feel good about ourselves and forget about others who are being persecuted. After all, it's not happening to us so why should we bother?

Oak, while I happen to know what the poppy is all about, in the us we do not use the poppy the way you brits do. I doubt many on this forum in the us have any clue what it means.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

Oak, while I happen to know what the poppy is all about, in the us we do not use the poppy the way you brits do. I doubt many on this forum in the us have any clue what it means.

The story of the poppy

During the First World War (1914–1918) much of the fighting took place in Western Europe.

Previously beautiful countryside was blasted, bombed and fought over, again and again.

The landscape swiftly turned to fields of mud, bleak and barren scenes where little or nothing could grow.

Bright red Flanders poppies (Papaver rhoeas) however, were delicate but resilient flowers and grew in their thousands,

flourishing even in the middle of chaos and destruction.

In the spring of 1915, shortly after losing a friend in Ypres, a Canadian doctor,

Lt Col John McCrae was inspired by the sight of poppies to write a now famous poem called "In Flanders Fields".

McCrae’s poem in turn inspired an American academic, Moina Michael to make handmade red silk poppies which were then brought to England by a French lady,

Anna Guerin.

Such was the demand for poppies in England in 1922 that few were reaching Scotland.

Earl Haig's wife established the 'Lady Haig Poppy Factory' in Edinburgh to produce poppies exclusively for Scotland.

Over 5 million Scottish poppies (which have four petals and no leaf unlike poppies in the rest of the UK) are still made by hand by disabled ex-Servicemen at Lady Haig's Poppy Factory each year.

Also, for over 90 years, "The Poppy Factory in Richmond, Surrey", has been making poppies, crosses and wreaths.

Millions of people each year stop what they are doing and observe a Two Minute Silence at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month, commemorating the original Armistice of 1918 which signalled the 'stilling of arms' and led to the formal end to the First World War (eventually signed in 1919).

Over 40 million poppies are distributed by the Legion every year at the end of October and up to 11 November.

Each and every poppy is a symbol of Remembrance

(Source The Royal British Legion) 

At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I don't think that is what Holly is saying at all. We are not supposed to criticize our brother and sisters for stating their opinion, are we?

In that case I apologise, but I got the impression she was saying that it was just a fad, people shouldn't be doing it and that it wasn't modest to wear such stuff in church.

It just came across as though she thought it was wrong, or at best a waste of time.

I've been waiting for Christians to actually stand up and take notice of what was happening in the Middle East and now it appears that they are, and I sensed a feeling of apathy from the comment.