ayin jade

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

What about the fact there is a relatively small, meager, limited supply of legal tender to back up the gigantically huge amount of credit we all are using?

Should we really be so worried about minimum wage right now?  Isn't there a much, much bigger threat to deal with?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,009
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  3

Littleflower, if a person agrees to work for someone else, at the wages being offered, that person has no legitimate grounds to accuse the employer of being unfair.   If the employer pays what he and the employee agreed to, then the wage is fair.

"Fair wage"  should not be tied to a particular dollar amount.

All the Bible requires is that employers pay what they agreed to pay and not change the rules once the work has been done.   That is honest and fair.

If someone doesn't like what they're getting paid, they can get up off their butt and find another job that pays more, otherwise stop complaining and just do their job.

And btw, "fair wage"   cuts both ways.      It is not fair to the employer to be forced to pay wages that his profit margin cannot absorb.   Many of these fair wage people only look at this from the vantage point of the burger flippers who are whining that they aren't getting paid enough.    A fair wage has to be understood in terms of the limited pool of $$$ that an employer has for payroll.

Raises and higher wages should be based on two things:  Merit and affordability.    Lazy employees who do the bare minimum required should never get raises.  Good employees who go the extra mile, who have a good attitude, who make the customers happy and which in turn, makes the company profitable should be rewarded, but those rewards are limited to what a company can afford to pay.  So what's "fair"  should be governed by those two principles.

Make your company more money and you will likely get raises because the company wants to keep good employees and they will find a way to weed out the losers.  And that is completely fair.

Fair wages, as defined by liberals isn't the same concept as we see in Scripture.   "A worker is worthy of his hire,"  Jesus said.  That is the merit system.   You do less you are worth less and get paid less (or fired).  You do more, you are worth more and get paid more. 

That's the Bible way, not the liberal, loony leftist way.

At the Foxconn plants in China which make a great deal of cellphone parts, you get paid $1.74 an our. 18 workers have killed themselves at that plant, and the company installed nets to prevent people from jumping rather than take serious measures to improve working conditions. Working conditions could include working 24 hours straight.

I don't think that if someone agrees to that it's still a "fair wage". If working conditions are so awful that 9 people kill themselves in the span of 3 months at the Foxconn plants, that is barbaric.

Littleflower, if a person agrees to work for someone else, at the wages being offered, that person has no legitimate grounds to accuse the employer of being unfair.   If the employer pays what he and the employee agreed to, then the wage is fair.

All the Bible requires is that employers pay what they agreed to pay and not change the rules once the work has been done.   That is honest and fair.

If someone doesn't like what they're getting paid, they can get up off their butt and find another job that pays more, otherwise stop complaining and just do their job.

And btw, "fair wage"   cuts both ways.      It is not fair to the employer to be forced to pay wages that his profit margin cannot absorb.   Many of these fair wage people only look at this from the vantage point of the burger flippers who are whining that they aren't getting paid enough.    A fair wage has to be understood in terms of the limited pool of $$$ that an employer has for payroll.

Raises and higher wages should be based on two things:  Merit and affordability.    Lazy employees who do the bare minimum required should never get raises.  Good employees who go the extra mile, who have a good attitude, who make the customers happy and which in turn, makes the company profitable should be rewarded, but those rewards are limited to what a company can afford to pay.  So what's "fair"  should be governed by those two principles.

Make your company more money and you will likely get raises because the company wants to keep good employees and they will find a way to weed out the losers.  And that is completely fair.

Fair wages, as defined by liberals isn't the same concept as we see in Scripture.   "A worker is worthy of his hire,"  Jesus said.  That is the merit system.   You do less you are worth less and get paid less (or fired).  You do more, you are worth more and get paid more. 

At the Foxconn plants in China which make a great deal of cellphone parts, you get paid $1.74 an our. 18 workers have killed themselves at that plant, and the company installed nets to prevent people from jumping rather than take serious measures to improve working conditions. Working conditions could include working 24 hours straight.

I don't think that if someone agrees to that it's still a "fair wage". If working conditions are so awful that 9 people kill themselves in the span of 3 months at the Foxconn plants, that is barbaric.

It is, in effect, slavery of the worst kind.

Guest shiloh357

That has nothing to do with what we are talking about, Burning Ember.   Our people are making far better wages and do not live in sweat shop conditions that they have in China.    So your example is invalid.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

So dont buy chinese made things and support the workers there. 

However that doesnt apply to us companies which the majority of this thread has been about.

So dont buy chinese made things and support the workers there. 

However that doesnt apply to us companies which the majority of this thread has been about.

Have you looked at the definition of a sweat shop by the US government?  

There are sweat shops right here in the US.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,009
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  3

That has nothing to do with what we are talking about, Burning Ember.   Our people are making far better wages and do not live in sweat shop conditions that they have in China.    So your example is invalid.  

Re-read the bolded parts of your post. It's very relevant. If that's your position you have to be willing to apply it everywhere. Not just America.

A fair wage is a living wage. My friends who apply for jobs for months on end and can barely get part time at just above minimum wage survive off bulk dried beans and don't really have money for anything else, let alone being able to save for education, or afford losing their job at all. They're one paycheck away from being homeless.

Guest shiloh357

I used to work in automotive remanufacturing.  I refurbished transmissions for Chrysler at the time.  The pay was good, but the working conditions were not.  But it was the nature of the beast.  I worked in plant that had no air conditioning in the summer and no heat in the winter.   It was all brick and metal and in the summer it was like working inside a tin can.

The conditions were brutal but it was one of the best paying jobs in town, given that my hometown almost built on nothing but restaurants and clothing stores.  I had the only industry job in town.   Sometimes that plant would up to 135 degrees inside during the summer and in the winter they would open up the shipping bay doors and it was like a subzero wind tunnel and it was freezing  in there.  Had to dress warm in the winter and stay hydrated in the summer just to stay on your feet. 

But I didn't complain because I knew the conditions when I went in and got hired.  I knew what I was getting myself into.  No one has to work in sweat shop conditions in the US. I chose to work in brutal conditions and I was there for nine years until I found something better.  

Guest shiloh357

The problem is, Burning Ember, we are not talking about the US.   You can't make the argument about the US so you have to find totally dissimilar conditions and pretend that little children in sweat shops are there because they willingly chose to work for that company.

In the US there are laws that guard against the things you are describing in China.

Let me know when you have an intelligent, thoughtful and rational argument to make.