• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

Besides Isaiah 50:6 is there any reference to jesus having a beard or that beard being ripped off?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello Fields,

Wow!!!! very interesting question you ask here. I went to an online concordance and did a word search on "beard" and it appears that it doesnt appear in the new testament at all. :):)

Very interesting question.

Guest fields316_2000

Thanks for the effort! The subject came up in a bible study and I was sporting a goatie. One of the elderly ladies made some comment and I replyed 'well jesus had a beard right? (sarcastically) ' but i couldnt back it up in the new testiment! she said there was no pictures or evidence that he did but isi 50:6 and the other verse in the bible that said it was a sin to clip the hairs on the side of your head or the end of your beard unless you are a rebel - and that was the old testiment law - so i assume jesus following suit didnt rock the boat and left his facial hair alone right?

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Fields...

I believe the following is one of the Messianic Prophecies:

Isaiah 50:2-6 Wherefore, when I came, was there no man? when I called, was there none to answer? Is my hand shortened at all, that it cannot redeem? or have I no power to deliver? behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness: their fish stinketh, because there is no water, and dieth for thirst.3 I clothe the heavens with blackness, and I make sackcloth their covering. 4 The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned. 5 The Lord GOD hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back. 6 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

if you walked into a room with 100 people, and asked each one seperately, what they think you should do, you might get upto 100 differant answers.....

personally, if a beard will keep us out of heaven, then i think Jesus didnt do a good nuff job... but on the contrary, Jesus done did a perfect job, so a beard will not keep us out of heaven, for it is not what we do or do not do that will save us or not.... it is what Jesus done did.....

legalistic she is I believe, just a bit anyways.....

what does it matter if a person has a beard or not? i have seen women with a heavier mustach then what my 22 year old step son will ever have..... seen women with a heavier beard then what he will ever have.

I use to laugh at the inspectors in boot camp, they would hit a male for having a bit of peach fuzz at age 25 who has never shaved, but let a woman go that you can see her stash from 100 yards away.....

i have a beard today, maybe tomorrow i wont have.....

maybe we ought to make it a rule that all men must have a 6 inch tee....... or maybe lambchops..... or even a fumanchu style stash....

that woman, by chance, is not one that is sporting a hair cut that if she was in a car, would look like a man from the shoulders up???? is she????

seen ladies like that, look like they are a man in the military the way they wear their hair...... white walls above the ears...... the only way you can tell if they is a woman is if they are wearing certain types of earrings or if you look below the shoulders....

Guys...... if you want, grow your hair and beards long and even braid them... i have had my beard braided ( had like 12 braids in my hair and have had upto a 12 inch pony tail)

dont worry about your goatee, unless the Lord convicts you over it...... be sensitive to the Lord thou.....

mike

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Besides Isaiah 50:6 is there any reference to jesus having a beard or that beard being ripped off?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may not find direct evidence for Jesus beard, but a beard was pretty much expected for Jewish men of His period.

It was forbidden by Leviticus, for instance, to cut the corners of one's beard or corners of one's head....especially for priests.

Plucking out a man's beard or chopping it off was a grave disgrace.

You can see helpful insight into how beards were common in Palestine of the 1st century and before here:

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp...=B&search=beard

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Thanks a lot, Mike...!

Because of you, I had a dream last night about a lady with very thick, black stubble on her face. I'm not kidding! :noidea:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  407
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

There is a great deal we would like to know about Jesus that we are simply not told. But we do know He was a Palestinian Jew, and as such the color of His skin would be olive, and His eyes brown. Palestinian Jews had black hair and kept it carefully groomed. They valued a full beard. He wore a sleeveless undergarment with a girdle, the customary cloak and sandals, and carried a staff on journeys. That is all we know about His appearance or can guess with confidence.

warm regards

-bud