• Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Even a man who is pure of heart

and prays to the Lord above

Can fall into sin, when temptation burns

If his wife, doesn’t give him her love.

(1 Corinthians 7:5)

But why is the wife not giving him her love?That needs to be answered,

Why does anyone sin?   Selfishness, Lazyness, Willfulness! 

The "why" isn't all that important. Repentance is all that is important.

As for Health reasons(this may be what your talking about), this is covered in 1 Corinthians 7:4 & Romans 1:27....

“The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.”  (1 Corinthians 7:4)

“And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman,.....”  (Romans 1:27a)

God, has placed in “most men” and “some women”, a natural desire for “sexual intimacy”.

And this desire can only be fulfilled by loving and consensual physical contact.

The fact is, that all that is needed, for “consensual physical contact”, is a loving partner(wife or husband), that is willing to “lovingly give their bodies to the other”!

According to 1Corinthians 7:5, it is a problem with a persons “will”, if they refuse to give themselves to their husband or wife!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

You have to take a look at the couple.Maybe the guilt should not be put on just the husband or the wife.The poem is saying that a man can fall into sin if the wife does not give him her love.That is debatable.Yes,we are all sinners and we sin everyday sometimes without even knowing it.

Sorry, forgive my bluntness Brother,  but what you said seems to be a bit biased , self-serving view and not at all Biblical.  Imho, it is NOT at all what it says in that verse. What you wrote gives it your own "spin" and sounds like it is warning the wife for depriving the husband of love aka sex because it will cause the husband to sin.  It does not say that.  

What is expressed in your post uses this scripture like it is an excuse to  commit adultery and not to take responsibility for the "husband's" own "lack of  self-control" if he allows himself to succumb to Satan's temptation.  Btw,  I refer to "husband" only as that was how you wrote it.  This verse applies to a married couple equally,  both the man and the wife.  It does not single out one specific gender. 

Either spouse can be guilty of sexual or emotional adultery and breaking their marital vows.  It says (NASB)  "Stop depriving one another..."   I am sure there are an equal amount of marriages where the husband withholds his expression of love and intimacy towards the wife leaving her feeling abandoned and lonely.  These situations really don't happen over night but happen layer by layer and the sooner the couple can address it with  loving communication the bond will stay strong.

1Corinthians 7:5

"Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not temp you because of your lack of self-control."

So , I get from this that this "deprivation or withholding of sexual intimacy"  should be done only by mutual agreement and only for the purpose that the couple can devote themselves to prayer.

Marriage is a difficult path that potentially can bring with it happiness but also poses a set of challenges. A successful marital relationship requires personal sacrifice, conciliation, forgiveness, compassion, unselfishness, humor, kindness, loyalty, friendship, commitment, energy, honesty, sincerity, fidelity,  hard work, lightness, and communication..and should be a prayerful God centered union with Christ as it's headship.

If there is a problem with the couple's sexual intimacy it definitely needs to be addressed in prayer and through words to uncover what is the underlying issue that has caused the one spouse to withdraw from this intimacy.

I agree   :mgcheerful:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hello, bopeep1909 and Davida,   and thank you for your responses.

As I have made it clear in all that I have already said in this thread, this charge, is aimed at both husbands and wives, who for any reason refuse to give themselves to their spouse.

And this is not, “an excuse for sin”!  It is clearly and repeatedly stated in the Bible, that this is a “cause of sin”!

For instance 1 Timothy 2:9......
 “In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;”

Now, the reason God tells women to dress in “modest apparel”, is so that they will not be a temptation to men.  Is God making an excuse for sin?!?  Of course not!  He is stating a “cause of sin”!
------------------------
Now I knew that this thread would cause some to get upset, because “today’s society”, in our lost and dying and darkened world of sin, is attacking everything that promotes healthy marriages.  But the Scriptures that I have used in this thread, do just that.

Hello, bopeep1909 and Davida,   and thank you for your responses.

As I have made it clear in all that I have already said in this thread, this charge, is aimed at both husbands and wives, who for any reason refuse to give themselves to their spouse.

And this is not, “an excuse for sin”!  It is clearly and repeatedly stated in the Bible, that this is a “cause of sin”!

For instance 1 Timothy 2:9......

“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;”

Now, the reason God tells women to dress in “modest apparel”, is so that they will not be a temptation to men.  Is God making an excuse for sin?!?  Of course not!  He is stating a “cause of sin”!

------------------------

Now I knew that this thread would cause some to get upset, because “today’s society”, in our lost and dying and darkened world of sin, is attacking everything that promotes healthy marriages.  But the Scriptures that I have used in this thread, do just that.

I think that there are so few healthy marriages.I think it is important for a husband to respect his wife and I think a healthy approach to being a Christian wife is to dress modest.There is plenty of opportunity for her husband to see more of her where and when it is appropriate.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Even a man who is pure of heart

and prays to the Lord above

Can fall into sin, when temptation burns

If his wife, doesn’t give him her love.

(1 Corinthians 7:5)

My only comment is that poem appears to say if a man falls into sin, it is the wifes fault for not giving him enough love.

So many people who fall into sin, blame someone or something else. The truth is, people, Christians, men included, have a choice whether to sin or not sin. If the wife has died, is that an excuse to have an affair. If the wife is ill, is that a valid excuse to commit adultery?

The verses in 1 Cor chapter 7 were not meant to be an excuse to cheat, or excuse a sin, or blame a spouse for failing to do what the partner thinks they must do to keep the partner from sinning. I hate to say it but taken to an ultimate situation. Abusive spouses blame the abused partner for making them be abusive. A cheater who blames the spouse for making the cheat is very wrong.    

Guest shiloh357

Actually that is a huge misquote of that verse.

The verse really says:  "Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you no for your incontinency."

It helps when we actually quote the verse the way it is supposed to be read.

It is saying that a man and woman should not sleep in separate beds and not deprivate one another of sex because that spouse might go elsewhere.