IGNORED

Verses used by non-Christians to attack the Bible's integrity .

robin hood

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

This is an attempt to deal with some difficult verses from the Bible which opponents of the Bible use to discredit the Bible .

Non-Christians pick on certain verses and claim that they show the Bible to be full of contradictions and inconsistencies ......hence , they claim , the Bible cannot be truthful .

This thread is related to another thread I started , but which I admit I botched up a little ......so perhaps it will be second time lucky .....I hope .

All the verses I use on this thread are verses , KJV ,which secularists , atheists , non-Christians etc. use in an attempt to disprove the Scriptures . I must admit that I struggle and don't have an answer for some of them . So input from members of the forum will I hope be helpful .

So I start with some verses from Genesis with the sort of comments made about them . I repeat , these comments will not be mine .....they will be those of anti-Christians , and we ought to be able to come up with some good responses .

If anyone thinks this ain't a good idea , just say so and I will stop .

So In Genesis.......There were many languages before the Tower of Babel. ...." By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations." (Genesis 10:5)....."These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations. " (Genesis 10:20) .

There was only one language before the Tower of Babel......"And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech." (Genesis 11:1) .

Edited by robin hood

Guest shiloh357

This is an attempt to deal with some difficult verses from the Bible which opponents of the Bible use to discredit the Bible .

Non-Christians pick on certain verses and claim that they show the Bible to be full of contradictions and inconsistencies ......hence , they claim , the Bible cannot be truthful .

This thread is related to another thread I started , but which I admit I botched up a little ......so perhaps it will be second time lucky .....I hope .

All the verses I use on this thread are verses , KJV ,which secularists , atheists , non-Christians etc. use in an attempt to disprove the Scriptures . I must admit that I struggle and don't have an answer for some of them . So input from members of the forum will I hope be helpful .

So I start with some verses from Genesis with the sort of comments made about them . I repeat , these comments will not be mine .....they will be those of anti-Christians , and we ought to be able to come up with some good responses .

So In Genesis.......There were many languages before the Tower of Babel. ...." By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations." (Genesis 10:5)....."These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations. " (Genesis 10:20) .

There was only one language before the Tower of Babel......"And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech." (Genesis 11:1) .

Well it's very simple.  Those verses in Genesis 10 are synopsis of history.  Genesis 10 tells us what eventually happened, the peoples were divided.  Genesis 11  and the tower of babel goes back before that list of divisions occurred.   Unbelievers tend to lack an understanding of how ancient near eastern writers thought.   Not everything historically chronological.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Robinhood,  I can appreciate your desire to be ready an answer to answer those who would deny the bible based upon supposed contradictions.  Has it ever occurred to you that that is why they are there?  Please allow me to explain a bit.

I spent time in 2013 in complete insanity.  I was sitting alone at home.with a bible studying voraciously thinking that it was all being revealed unto me in truth.  I had vast layouts of prophetic events all in chronological order consisting of both historical events and matching scriptures that pointed to times and dates in the immediate future for the unravelling of the end time events to begin on a certain day.  Nobody could tell me otherwise.  I was convinced.  Anyone who detracted was blind and experiencing the lie that God would send.  But the day came and went without incident.  I was wrong.  It was all delusional.

I met a man who would become my mentor.  He told me to put my bible on a shelf before I hurt myself or someone else.  He began to teach me by example accompanied by instruction what Christ taught about Christian behavior.  As I began to follow his instruction, I also began to have my thinking clear up.  I began to see how and why I became so delusional.  He never had to address my false beliefs about prophetic events.  He only needed to show me where I had not been being loving, peaceful, patient, considerate or humble.  He patiently showed me my ungodliness and as I obeyed truth I was awarded with clarity of mind.

Today I understand that exercising myself unto godliness is the only way I can see and accept the truth about God and the bible.  Jesus told us that if we remove the beam from our own eye then we would see clearly how to remove the mote from our brothers.  Hidden in plain sight is the truth that I am to remove my own blindness so that I can see that others need to do the same.

The issue is never that we don't have an acceptable answer for their many accusations against scripture.  The issue is that we don't have an acceptable God for their hearts desire.

If we live it out before them as did Jesus then our works will convict them of their folly.  Then and only then is there hope that they may become converted and know the truth.  All of their vain attempts to discredit the bible are but a smokescreen for their hatred of God and his Christ and his way of life.

Peace unto you and godspeed on your journey to godliness brother!

Well it's very simple.  Those verses in Genesis 10 are synopsis of history.  Genesis 10 tells us what eventually happened, the peoples were divided.  Genesis 11  and the tower of babel goes back before that list of divisions occurred.   Unbelievers tend to lack an understanding of how ancient near eastern writers thought.   Not everything historically chronological.  

I agree . Too many 21st century people think that ancient near eastern writers approached things with a 21st century mindset , or should have done , but they didn't .

Your response is what I would give .

Robinhood,  I can appreciate your desire to be ready an answer to answer those who would deny the bible based upon supposed contradictions.  Has it ever occurred to you that that is why they are there?  Please allow me to explain a bit.

I spent time in 2013 in complete insanity.  I was sitting alone at home.with a bible studying voraciously thinking that it was all being revealed unto me in truth.  I had vast layouts of prophetic events all in chronological order consisting of both historical events and matching scriptures that pointed to times and dates in the immediate future for the unravelling of the end time events to begin on a certain day.  Nobody could tell me otherwise.  I was convinced.  Anyone who detracted was blind and experiencing the lie that God would send.  But the day came and went without incident.  I was wrong.  It was all delusional.

I met a man who would become my mentor.  He told me to put my bible on a shelf before I hurt myself or someone else.  He began to teach me by example accompanied by instruction what Christ taught about Christian behavior.  As I began to follow his instruction, I also began to have my thinking clear up.  I began to see how and why I became so delusional.  He never had to address my false beliefs about prophetic events.  He only needed to show me where I had not been being loving, peaceful, patient, considerate or humble.  He patiently showed me my ungodliness and as I obeyed truth I was awarded with clarity of mind.

Today I understand that exercising myself unto godliness is the only way I can see and accept the truth about God and the bible.  Jesus told us that if we remove the beam from our own eye then we would see clearly how to remove the mote from our brothers.  Hidden in plain sight is the truth that I am to remove my own blindness so that I can see that others need to do the same.

The issue is never that we don't have an acceptable answer for their many accusations against scripture.  The issue is that we don't have an acceptable God for their hearts desire.

If we live it out before them as did Jesus then our works will convict them of their folly.  Then and only then is there hope that they may become converted and know the truth.  All of their vain attempts to discredit the bible are but a smokescreen for their hatred of God and his Christ and his way of life.

Peace unto you and godspeed on your journey to godliness brother!

Gary what you say is so true......People living out the teachings of Jesus are true evangelists .

I wonder if St Paul was thinking along your lines when he wrote : " You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. ".....I'm sure he was .

Edited by robin hood

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

I like this ! Thanks RH. What's next ?

Thanks . Okay this is one the secularists come up with.....

Jacob was buried in a cave at Machpelah bought from Ephron the Hittite. ......"  For his sons carried him into the land of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of the field of Machpelah, which Abraham bought with the field for a possession of a burying place of Ephron the Hittite, before Mamre." (Genesis 50:13) .

He was buried in the sepulchre at Shechem bought from the sons of Hamor......."Jacob went down into Egypt, and died, he, and our fathers, And were carried over into Sychem, and laid in the sepulchre that Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor the father of Sychem." (Acts 7:15-16) .

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  738
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

This is a waste of time for non believers, I don't know why they bother.   Even if you come across very clear contradictions, that doesn't necessarily raise any issues.   I've seen people define "infallibility" to mean that the Bible accurately records what was done or said.  So if someone mispoke in some way one could still view the Bible as infallible because it accurately recorded their statement.   

So I don't see the point of atheists etc coming up with these contradictions...it's too easy to resolve them.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  603
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

Jacob was buried in a cave at Machpelah bought from Ephron the Hittite. ......"  For his sons carried him into the land of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of the field of Machpelah, which Abraham bought with the field for a possession of a burying place of Ephron the Hittite, before Mamre." (Genesis 50:13) .

He was buried in the sepulchre at Shechem bought from the sons of Hamor......."Jacob went down into Egypt, and died, he, and our fathers, And were carried over into Sychem, and laid in the sepulchre that Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor the father of Sychem." (Acts 7:15-16) .

You know a secularist who knows this verse?  Wow!  I have never seen these verses being used to question the Bible.  The primary ones that I have seen used by people concern the virgin birth or other things that the movie Zeitgeist brought up.  I have been in forums where secularists think they are experts on the Bible because of their understanding of things that the movie Zeitgeist brings up.  Although, I would imagine that there are other sources with similar information and that all of these people aren't worshiping Zeitgeist.  

The only other ones that get brought up in my experience are the ones concerning creation because apparently every secularist is also a scientist and they are experts and capable of debunking the Bible with this superpower.  :)

I would almost love to meet someone who knew this verse; however, I don't see whereas this verse provide a lot of material for disputing the Bible.     

You know a secularist who knows this verse?  Wow!  I have never seen these verses being used to question the Bible.  The primary ones that I have seen used by people concern the virgin birth or other things that the movie Zeitgeist brought up.  I have been in forums where secularists think they are experts on the Bible because of their understanding of things that the movie Zeitgeist brings up.  Although, I would imagine that there are other sources with similar information and that all of these people aren't worshiping Zeitgeist.  

The only other ones that get brought up in my experience are the ones concerning creation because apparently every secularist is also a scientist and they are experts and capable of debunking the Bible with this superpower.  :)

I would almost love to meet someone who knew this verse; however, I don't see whereas this verse provide a lot of material for disputing the Bible.     

The internet is full of the stuff .

I have just done a quick Google and found an atheist website devoted to debunking the Bible......I quote just one example they use From http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/bible-contradictions......

Did Michal Have Children?

II Samuel 6:23: Therefore Michal, the daughter of Saul, had no child unto the day of her death.
sons = zero

II Samuel 21:8: The five sons of Michal, the daughter of Saul.
sons = five

Edited by robin hood