leftoverture

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I am reading Honest Evangelism by Rico Tice. In chapter 3, he challenges us to see if we have any idols in our lives.....basically things that get more of our attention than God. Things that maybe prevent us from evangelism. 

I will confess here and now that my idol has been cars. I guess they're is nothing wrong with being a car enthusiast, but when the hobby takes on central importance it had become an idol. And when you get part of your identity from what you drive....well,  I think the idolatry is obvious.

I won't go into the whole story for fear of creating a post of unreadable length, but this week drove home the reality of the idolatry that was taking place in my life. And I have been praying in repentance and faith for God to help me remove this from my being.

So how about you? Is there anything in your life that is taking up too much of your time and/or attention? Is there something that is possibly keeping Christ from being the absolute center of your life and thus keeping you from sharing his truth at every possible chance?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

That's an interesting question. 

I guess we all have things in our life that take up lots of our time, but the question is how much is too much?

I talk to God about everything and so therefore I feel he is Centre of my life

I'm sure you talk to God more than you talk to your car's :D:59_59:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Anything can become an idol...we all have our interests. If you have a hobby that's taking over your life, the way I see it you have 2 options, 1 is stop doing it, or 2 find a way to glorify God with it. You like cars, does your town have any kind of mentorship program for troubled kids, like big brother big sister? Perhaps take in a troubled youth and start teaching them about cars have them help you with your project, and use it to witness to them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

We all need to pray and ask God to examine our hearts.No,to be honest with you God is in the driver's seat in my life.He is number one :).God is giving me what I need not necessary what I want.I am blessed.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,195
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  14

IDOLS, a image  or thing used as a object of worship, also a false God, this is the American dictionary definition,

in the Bible it is something that takes the place of or comes, before the God the creator Himself,

a Idol is something,anything that takes your attention or your focus away from God, where your heart is,  is where your thought and being is, so if it be a car, house ,a Job, a sport ,  a hobby, what ever you put more time in ,then about God becomes your Idol

for many people become so worldly with the money they put into cars , homes, clothes etc, and God gets the left over

there is nothing wrong with any of these things,  or being rich, it is not a sin, but what your motivation and uses of it ,is ?

if it be all about you, and how you look to others to a vanity, and prideful step ,like look at me ,and I have more ,and I am better, and I will do this, ,when your will, becomes not Gods will, ? then there is a problem, going into excess or over into one thing , even if it be a addiction  to something, it is all about the self,

we must deny the self , take up your cross ,and focus on Jesus  ,  for it is about God  ! ,in all that we have and all that we do , that balances out our thoughts ,and behavior to the object of worship instead of God,

for we are born sinners and will die sinners until we are changed by God in his appointed time, and until then we are to be good stewards of the word, and to reflect the goodness and holiness of His word, and reflect being like Jesus.

for the world watches, you , and we are to produce fruits of the spirit ,and represent the God that we follow, as his people , and not unbelievers,not of the flesh,  enjoy what you have , for it is all given to you, by God himself, but what you do with it, is between you and God,

be thankful for all you have , all things good is given to you by God ,and if you can use it for the purpose of the kingdom then do it, ,and if not enjoy it, but enjoy God more, and the holy spirit with in you,will guide you and show you the truth and thoughts of walking in the right path.