• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

As long as a person draws breath, there is HOPE for them! God hasn't given up on them and neither should we. I found the following small article convicting and refreshing. (The bold print is my own emphasis in the article.)

Prisoners Knit for Needy Children

In New York's maximum-security prison in Auburn, inmates from the prison chapter of Vietnam Veterans of America spent their free time making Christmas gifts for needy children. The men crocheted more than 200 sets of hats, gloves, hand-crafted yarn belts and fleece-lined moccasins.

A prison spokesperson said,

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Amen Keith. We have brothers and sisters in Christ in prison, and those that will one day be part of our family. All life has value. Christ's gift of salvation is offered to all.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I agree totally. My uncle taught math in California State Men's Coloney for years a prison just outside of Morro Bay. They had a restaruant and gift shop there. I went there on several occations and found the men to be polite, friendly and I might add excellent cooks. If we can teach them new skills then we can have success on the outside them. Not only that but when we share the gospel with them we show unconditional love and that is a sure way to reach them.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,004
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1906

One of my brothers is in prison, currently serving a 7 year minimum sentence. I can honestly tell you that yes PRISIONERS DO MATTER!! My brother is still a child of God wether he recognises it or not. I've had to stop contact with Chris because it's too upsetting for me to have him in jail. He certainly deserves to be there and I hope the Lord works in his heart while he has so much time on his large hands.

My brother is worth your time because, quite simply...he needs your prayers. From what I understand, prison is often a rather brutal and hostile environment, vastly different from the world the majority of us are used to. Chris is my brother and I know the good within him, there is good within each of us. I can't believe a human can be completley rotten to the core for the core inside all of us, must surely belong to God. Just as the fruit may rot, the seed inside is still good and that is what I am believing for my beloved Christopher. The devil may spoil the fruit, but he can't get inside the seed.

With love

YSIC

Faithie :verkle:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  09/27/1976

Absolutely, Keith!!!! When I was in Peru last summer on a missions trip, one of the first tasks I was given was going to a prison to teach a routine with tambourines to "Onward Christian Soldiers". I at first assumed it was a women's prison (why would men want to play a tambourine?!) but I found myself, with a teammate, in a small concrete room with 10 tough looking guys and the host pastors 17 year old daughter as a chaperone! I was skeptical at first (whether they would enjoy the lesson or not) but they were very grateful for the time we had and practiced hard. We had about 4 sessions that week and then they performed the routine in front of the entire prison at that week's worship service. They did great!! Many of the men ended up witnessing to me in fact! I was sad to leave my pupils, but I pray for them and keep the picture of our class close to my heart! They are wonderful walking testimonies of what it means to know the meaning of "hope", "faith",and "redemption". They are such blessings to me, regardless of what had happened in the past, they are new creations in Christ. BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for the post, Keith!!! :verkle:

Guest NewPilgrim

Speaking as an ex-con myself I know only to well the effect of ministry in prison, for most of the Cons its a laughable idea but to a handful (both Christian and non-Christian), its an uplifting and much needed lifeline. My fellowship in prison was by far the most encouraging and comforting part of my social routines. Faithie, if you can overcome your emotional obstacle, please reconsider staying in touch with your brother, he needs you. Its hard enough being a in prison when you know the presence of God at your side 24/7, but when youre spiritually alone youre even more alone physically. Just knowing that you are there and in touch will be a lifeline to your brother, whether he shows it or not. And he needs your witness too.

I was saved a few weeks after commiting my crime and a few weeks before sentencing. You might say it was a classic "coping conversion" except it had very little to do with being a crutch, athough my cry was deep and desperate it was God-centred and God-prompted, it was because he called me that I responded, not vice versa. Despite my desperation I would still not be a christian to this day had he not prompted me himself.

Cons are indeed human beings, whatever folk may think of them, no matter how heinous thei crime (yes that includes ALL crimes) and no-one is beyond salvation if they are repentant, we do well to remeber that. I've seen what prison life can do to a man when he has no hope and no eternal security, I know what a "shell of a man" trully looks like, you feel nothing but the deepest pity for him, as condescending as it is you cant help but feel that way about such a man.

There is only one unforgivable sin, no matter how harshly we might label other sins. We often hear christians saying to each other and to others "sin is sin, its all the same in Gods eyes" but when it comes to crunch-time, we very rarely see someone react according to that same belief.

Indeed, prisoners are humans and the further they sink the more they need Christ and the harder we should be trying to reach them.

Edited by NewPilgrim

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

My brother is in prison again and I hate it. I also feel no pity for those prisoners in there for murder, rape, and any other hannis crime. I have a hard time with murderers who murdered for their own joy because a childhood friend of mine got his throat slashed a few years back by two nazi skin heads over his bicycle. They beat him bad and then slashed his throat and left him to die. He was only 16 years old. They got caught! In instances like that, I feel no pity for them. But for other people serving time in prison, yes I do agree with the fact that they did wrong and that they can be rehabilitated. I'm sorry but people who rape and murder have no hope. That is how I see it.

One of my brothers is in prison, currently serving a 7 year minimum sentence. I can honestly tell you that yes PRISIONERS DO MATTER!! My brother is still a child of God wether he recognises it or not. I've had to stop contact with Chris because it's too upsetting for me to have him in jail. He certainly deserves to be there and I hope the Lord works in his heart while he has so much time on his large hands.

My brother is worth your time because, quite simply...he needs your prayers. From what I understand, prison is often a rather brutal and hostile environment, vastly different from the world the majority of us are used to. Chris is my brother and I know the good within him, there is good within each of us. I can't believe a human can be completley rotten to the core for the core inside all of us, must surely belong to God. Just as the fruit may rot, the seed inside is still good and that is what I am believing for my beloved Christopher. The devil may spoil the fruit, but he can't get inside the seed.

With love

YSIC

Faithie :verkle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is very hard having a family member in prison. My brother was such a great kid but one night him and his friends decided to rob some convience stores. He called me when the police let him call someone. It broke my heart. I went to all of his hearings and cried. He looked so scared and fragil. I went to see him up in Berlin every weekend. A three hour drive from my house. He was worth it. He started doing bible study in there and he wanted to change. He served nearly 3 years. He came to live with me after that. He did so well, worked for my father and his company but, he got caught up with the bad people and started dealing and doing drugs and selling guns. He used to beat the living h*** out of people. I hated seeing him like that. I never prayed for him because I didn't find God yet. Now, I pray for him everyday. I pray for everyone who has hope. Including your brother. You must really miss him.

Al

Guest NewPilgrim

Jam 4:2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.

Jam 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Jam 4:8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

My brother is in prison again and I hate it. I also feel no pity for those prisoners in there for murder, rape, and any other hannis crime.

Moses, King David and Saul (Paul) to name but a few murderers. God does not consider this an unforgivable offense and shows not only mercy on these men but lifts them to a great calling. (not that he will lift all murderers to great callings, but he considers it no obstacle to such a thing)

Exo 2:12 He [Moses] looked this way and that, and seeing no one, he struck down the Egyptian and hid him in the sand.

2Sa 11:14 In the morning David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it by the hand of Uriah.

2Sa 11:15 In the letter he wrote, "Set Uriah in the forefront of the hardest fighting, and then draw back from him, that he may be struck down, and die."

Act 9:1 But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest

As for rape, there is no direct reference to it as it lies under the expression "sexual immorality" in the bible, but this too is forgiven many through the ministry of Jesus and the early church. A man in the church of Corinth slept with his mother and was forgiven when he repented.

Both, as well as many others, are heinous crimes of course and should be punished; and that is what the law does. Our duty as Christians is to forgive the repenting sinner and witness to him, If God had not led the way in this there would be no Moses, No line of David and no epistles to the churches.

If you cannot (understandably) find it within your heart to forgive such people that burden is yours and Christ will help you to burden it.

Edited by NewPilgrim

I will forgive but I still feel no pitty for them.. If God can forgive, so can I.