• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, enoob57 said:

Hell is punishment for wrong activity (rebellion to God)... it is the farthest of our sight and spanking is one of the ways God has instructed us to turn the heart (in fear) back to Himself of the child... your determining the time factor of abuse must be held in reason with this scenario. The wisdom says 'spareth the rod' ... I have seen corporeal punishment where a light slap would throw the child into a rage and further tantrums! This discipline did not accommodate the purpose of the rod. When the will of the child is broken by the pain of the punishment, time is not the factor, but the objective purpose of the discipline has been accomplished, according to The Word of The Lord, when the willful rebellion of the heart has been placed into check by the fear of the consequence taught by the pain itself...   Love, Steven

Spanking a child the way your are stating it is just an excuse for someone to practice their sadist impulses with scripture to back them up.  Many people into S@M sexuality got that from beatings from their so called loving God fearing families.  The pain in hell is not for correction, it is a state of alienation from God and others, so what you are saying holds no water.  Physical abuse of children is epidemic, now you are giving God's blessing on it.  Here are some stats on this problem: http://www.nationalchildrensalliance.org/cac-statistics

It is too easy to use some holy book to back up all kind of sin.......for instances scripture was used to back up the morality of slavery and racism. 

Guest shiloh357
36 minutes ago, markdohle said:

Spanking a child the way your are stating it is just an excuse for someone to practice their sadist impulses with scripture to back them up.  Many people into S@M sexuality got that from beatings from their so called loving God fearing families. 

Nonsense.  You might one person in a million like that, but it is not the norm and you know it.  No one gets any joy out of spanking a child.  They get no personal gratification from it.  Those that do are very, very minuscule in number.   It is rather dishonest to take those people and use them to depict the majority. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, enoob57 said:

Hell is punishment for wrong activity (rebellion to God)... it is the farthest of our sight and spanking is one of the ways God has instructed us to turn the heart (in fear) back to Himself of the child... your determining the time factor of abuse must be held in reason with this scenario. The wisdom says 'spareth the rod' ... I have seen corporeal punishment where a light slap would throw the child into a rage and further tantrums! This discipline did not accommodate the purpose of the rod. When the will of the child is broken by the pain of the punishment, time is not the factor, but the objective purpose of the discipline has been accomplished, according to The Word of The Lord, when the willful rebellion of the heart has been placed into check by the fear of the consequence taught by the pain itself...   Love, Steven

I do not associate hell with spanking a child. I just would not go there. :huh:

4 hours ago, Teditis said:

If you're spanking a kid for 2-3 minutes... that's abuse and you should be in jail.

Count it out in your head...

That explains it!!! bulbar-smiley.gif

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

4 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I do not associate hell with spanking a child. I just would not go there. :huh:

you might want to read what I wrote again! :) 

1 hour ago, markdohle said:

Spanking a child the way your are stating it is just an excuse for someone to practice their sadist impulses with scripture to back them up.  Many people into S@M sexuality got that from beatings from their so called loving God fearing families.  The pain in hell is not for correction, it is a state of alienation from God and others, so what you are saying holds no water.  Physical abuse of children is epidemic, now you are giving God's blessing on it.  Here are some stats on this problem: http://www.nationalchildrensalliance.org/cac-statistics

It is too easy to use some holy book to back up all kind of sin.......for instances scripture was used to back up the morality of slavery and racism. 

people can pervert the meaning of written material just as you have here....

Question: "How should Christians discipline their children? What does the Bible say?"

Answer:
How to best discipline children can be a difficult task to learn, but it is crucially important. Some claim that physical discipline (corporal punishment) such as spanking is the only method the Bible supports. Others insist that “time-outs” and other punishments that do not involve physical discipline are far more effective. What does the Bible say? The Bible teaches that physical discipline is appropriate, beneficial, and necessary.

Do not misunderstand—we are by no means advocating child abuse. A child should never be disciplined physically to the extent that it causes actual physical damage. According to the Bible, though, the appropriate and restrained physical discipline of children is a good thing and contributes to the well-being and correct upbringing of the child.

Many Scriptures do in fact promote physical discipline. “Don't fail to correct your children. They won't die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death” (Proverbs 23:13-14; see also 13:24; 22:15; 20:30). The Bible strongly stresses the importance of discipline; it is something we must all have in order to be productive people, and it is much more easily learned when we are young. Children who are not disciplined often grow up rebellious, have no respect for authority, and as a result find it difficult to willingly obey and follow God. God Himself uses discipline to correct us and lead us down the right path and to encourage repentance for our wrong actions (Psalm 94:12; Proverbs 1:7; 6:23; 12:1; 13:1; 15:5; Isaiah 38:16; Hebrews 12:9).

In order to apply discipline correctly and according to biblical principles, parents must be familiar with the scriptural advice regarding discipline. The book of Proverbs contains plentiful wisdom regarding the rearing of children, such as, “The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother” (Proverbs 29:15). This verse outlines the consequences of not disciplining a child—the parents are disgraced. Of course, discipline must have as its goal the good of the child and must never be used to justify the abuse and mistreatment of children. Never should it be used to vent anger or frustration.

Discipline is used to correct and train people to go in the right way. “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it” (Hebrews 12:11). God's discipline is loving, as should it be between parent and child. Physical discipline should never be used to cause lasting physical harm or pain. Physical punishment should always be followed immediately by comforting the child with assurance that he/she is loved. These moments are the perfect time to teach a child that God disciplines us because He loves us and that, as parents, we do the same for our children.

Can other forms of discipline, such as “time-outs,” be used instead of physical discipline? Some parents find that their children do not respond well to physical discipline. Some parents find that “time-outs,” grounding, and/or taking something away from the children is more effective in encouraging behavioral change. If that is indeed the case, by all means, a parent should employ the methods that best produce the needed behavioral change. While the Bible undeniably advocates physical discipline, the Bible is more concerned with the goal of building godly character than it is in the precise method used to produce that goal.

Making this issue even more difficult is the fact that governments are beginning to classify all manner of physical discipline as child abuse. Many parents do not spank their children for fear of being reported to the government and risk having their children taken away. What should parents do if a government has made physical discipline of children illegal? According to Romans 13:1-7, parents should submit to the government. A government should never contradict God’s Word, and physical discipline is, biblically speaking, in the best interest of children. However, keeping children in families in which they will at least receive some discipline is far better than losing children to the “care” of the government.

In Ephesians 6:4, fathers are told not to exasperate their children. Instead, they are to bring them up in God’s ways. Raising a child in the “training and instruction of the Lord” includes restrained, corrective, and, yes, loving physical discipline.

http://www.gotquestions.org/disciplining-children.html

Child abuse is not a laughing matter... nor are the case numbers anything near "miniscule".

(To suggest such a thing is just pandering to the audience... but you're misrepresenting the cases.)

The statistics, nationally, are in the hundreds of thousands per month. And the severity of the abuse

is staggering, I've seen it first-hand, working as a Guardian ad Litem. The trauma that some kids go

through from a 2-3 minute "spanking" would leave bruises if not break the skin, in most cases. Some

cases would send a child to the hospital. While I'll assume that most here would take the "spanking" that

far... some of what I've read in this thread appalls me.

2 minutes ago, Teditis said:

Child abuse is not a laughing matter... nor are the case numbers anything near "miniscule".

(To suggest such a thing is just pandering to the audience... but you're misrepresenting the cases.)

The statistics, nationally, are in the hundreds of thousands per month. And the severity of the abuse

is staggering, I've seen it first-hand, working as a Guardian ad Litem. The trauma that some kids go

through from a 2-3 minute "spanking" would leave bruises if not break the skin, in most cases. Some

cases would send a child to the hospital. While I'll assume that most here would take the "spanking" that

far... some of what I've read in this thread appalls me.

I have seen kids who are being spanked laugh at the parent and say "That did not hurt do it again". That makes the parent even angrier. Then what do you do? But you take away television or the video game or the i phone and it is a whole different story. I have seen parents who have beat their kids at the grocery store or slap their child across the face. I have heard them call them four letter words that would make me blush. You just can not go there. You have to discipline with love along with the consequence. Or you are going to have one messed up kid when they grow up.

As I also received instruction from my earthly father as such .... I like Shiloh am thankful for the understanding that with disobedience can come grave consequences! You who are ranting against this do so outside or against the advice of God's Word... your goose! cook it as you see best!  Love, Steven