Guest leejosepho

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  123
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Ok, I'm looking for opinions and information here.

For the last several weeks I've been trying to assemble a lesson on the beatitudes. For the most part I've got a good handle on it but I have one point that I don't quite know how to put into words. This is my first attempt at assembling a Biblical teaching lesson.

Matthew 5:9 says: "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called Sons of God.

My question is this: How does one describe what it means to be a peacemaker? I have an understanding of this but I'm having trouble putting it into words. I'm not looking for a debate just information and opinions. If you know verses that describe this please post them.

Thanks.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

How about "do unto others" that's making peace.

Turn the other cheek..

praying for your enemies

being an intercessor.

sorry- I don't have a bible right here. but, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  881
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

The last part of Romans 12.

Guest leejosepho

Knight:

Many people confuse fleshly "peacekeeping" (trying to get people to try to get along) with Scriptural "peacemaking", but if you have ever heard someone say something like, "You had better 'make peace' with the One who created you", you have heard the essence of actual peacemaking: reconciliation.

Said differently: The only true "peace" a man can ever know can only be found in (or following) reconciliation with the One who created us.

And as you consider these things, know there is no room for tolerance in peacemaking -- reconciliation with the One who created us can only take place on His terms.

Blessings!

Lee

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

A peace maker

Is it someone who using the Word answers the worries and troubles that beset people who are in ignorance of the Wisdom available from the Spirit. The wisdom that gives us True Inner Peace in this cold world?

Is it someone who sees a conflict developing between brothers and acts quickly to reason with them, bring to a resolution the cause of the conflict with wise words and love inspired by the Spirit?

Is it both these things and more?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Good answers all around.

Thanks.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  633
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  06/05/1953

I believe leejosepho hit it on the head.

Thanks RC. You too Lee.

I had not thought of it quite like that. I am of the opinion that the beatitudes all have dual meanings. Now before you think I'm off my base hear me out. Each has the application to the point of our salvation. For example:

Blessed are the poor in spirit for there's is the Kingdom of Heaven.

Poor in spirit, in this context can also mean humble. When we approach God at the point of our conversion we humble ourselves before Him. We acknowledge that we must decrease and He must increase.

There is also an application to our daily lives. We are called to be humble in our daily lives not prideful or arrogant.

The same could be applied to peacemaker. It can carry the meaning you suggested as well as a command for Christians to be conflict resolvers instead of conflict creators.

This is strictly my belief based on a study of these scriptures.

Guest leejosepho

Knight:

You had also asked for opinions:

Sounds to me like you are headed in a right direction here.

With your initial post and this thread in mind, an additional thought came to me on my way home from work this morning:

"Peacekeeping" among the brethren is certainly a legitimate service, but "peacemaking" (reconciliation) must have FIRST taken place ... else, there is no true "peace" to even TRY to keep.

Turned around:

Some people seem to believe we can or must (first) "make peace" amongst ourselves, then ask IAUE to "bless us" for allegedly doing so.  But, such a scenario is impossible.  For, we must each first be individually reconciled to the One who created us -- then we have some true peace, both to "give away" as "peacegivers", as well as to commonly "keep".

So: Get, give and keep the peace, bro!

Blessings!

Lee

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Thanks RC. You too Lee.

I had not thought of it quite like that. I am of the opinion that the beatitudes all have dual meanings. Now before you think I'm off my base hear me out. Each has the application to the point of our salvation. For example:

Blessed are the poor in spirit for there's is the Kingdom of Heaven.

Poor in spirit, in this context can also mean humble. When we approach God at the point of our conversion we humble ourselves before Him. We acknowledge that we must decrease and He must increase.

There is also an application to our daily lives. We are called to be humble in our daily lives not prideful or arrogant.

The same could be applied to peacemaker. It can carry the meaning you suggested as well as a command for Christians to be conflict resolvers instead of conflict creators.

This is strictly my belief based on a study of these scriptures.

Speaking of dual meanings, I read somewhere, Lucado I think, that the beatitudes could also mean degrees of our spiritual maturity. In other words, the condition of our heart. It starts out as stone but after salvation is softened. During our walk we change and grow. So we go from the poor in spirit (humble) to the meek (gentle) to they who mourn (for the unsaved) to hunger and thirst for justice and so on and so forth. Isn't that a beautiful thought?

Blessed are the poor in spirit,

for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  

Blessed are the meek,

for they shall possess the earth.

Blessed are they who mourn,

for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice,

for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,

for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the clean of heart,

for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,

for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice' sake,

for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I love the Words of the Lord   :inlove: