• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, RustyAngeL said:

Hi Donna,

My dad, my grandfather were both in the Army, my husband was in a Marine in Korea.  There is nothing to square with as far as I'm concerned.  All of our US military are honorable and are due respect and a huge Thank You from those of us who are kept safe by their service.

My question would be too are you a believer?  Are you a born again Christian?  This is the Seekers Lounge for those who are not Christians and have questions about the Bible.  

The sign-up instructions said to make a few posts in the non-Christian areas to prove I'm not a robot.

I'm a Catholic, for what it's worth.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Donnadogsoth

"Posts" ,not begin Threads.....The Outer Court is reserved for unbelievers,seekers & guests to begin THreads asking us questions about our Faith & interacting with us,,,,,,The "instructions" simply suggest how to get going to begin here at Worthy,the more you post,the more you will find your privileges enhanced.......

All are welcome here by this Ministry,we Embrace our Catholic Brothers & Sisters as well as any denomination just as Jesus does,,,,,,so welcome to Worthy & just for future reference,Christians begin Threads anywhere,except the Outer Court but of course are welcome to reply to our friends who have come here!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Members

Thanks kwikphilly, I understand.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,872
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

On 11/28/2016 at 10:11 AM, Donnadogsoth said:

It's reassuring to hear that self-defense, or defense of one's family, neighbour, or nation, is not impossible under Christianity.  But consider this case:  I met a man once, who claimed to take Matthew 5:39

5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

seriously to the point of not resisting any evil in any way.  I asked him what he would do if he had a gun, and a man with a gun threatened his family.  He said he would throw down his gun.  Is this man misled?

It's important to have context. Verse 39 immediately follows verse 38.

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

What he says in verse 39 is said as a contrast to verse 38. That is, the idea of revenge, that it's okay to hurt other people who hurt you in retaliation. It's not talking about defending one's own life or the lives of those around them.

• Group:  Members

4 hours ago, BK1110 said:

It's important to have context. Verse 39 immediately follows verse 38.

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

What he says in verse 39 is said as a contrast to verse 38. That is, the idea of revenge, that it's okay to hurt other people who hurt you in retaliation. It's not talking about defending one's own life or the lives of those around them.

This makes sense to me, but the man I am talking about would disagree.  Unfortunately I've lost contact with him so there's no way to get his argument from the horse's mouth.

Edited by Donnadogsoth