IGNORED

To remember the dead

markdohle

Guest Thallasa
9 hours ago, markdohle said:

The Church is made up of individuals, so it does apply.   Our sufferings bring us to a place of healing and choice, whether it is for our faith or in other areas of our lives.  One aspect of this life is purgation, growth, letting go of all that keeps us from becoming ever more human just as Christ Jesus was.  In any case, this will be my last piece about my journey as a catholic monk, and will just stick with the post…..don’t want to be a source of aggravation to people here, good people, loving people, Christ filled people.  I have come to the understanding that it also not fair for me to post some of the articles I have posted here.  This is not a catholic site and perhaps I have not respected that enough....so my apologies for that.  Below is my last thoughts on this subject, unless I bring it up in some other thread.

Fundamentalism seems to go on the assumption that if it is not in the New Testament, then it has to be rejected.  However, the NT Canon was not put together until the 4th century.  A long time indeed so there was further development in Christian thought during that time.  Even in the very early days of the church the Epistles deal with the problems that needed to be dealt with, some of them doctrinal.  Yet apart from Paul’s mention of the Eucharist in the book of 1st Corinthians, it was not mentioned much in the NT, because it was not a problem.  Does that mean that that the Eucharist was not important?  Of course not, it was the central worship in the time of St. Paul.   There are other writings that dealt with that, which did not make it into the canon since it was not deemed necessary. 

The same goes for purgatory, or there being a state after this life is ended, where the grace and healing of the Holy Spirit continues.  In the first book of Maccabeus, it mentions prayers for the dead.  In the early Church, this book was considered inspired, it was only when Luther decided to cut some books from the OT that the books omitted were called the Apocrypha was created.  So the early Christians, mostly Jewish were not unacquainted with the concept of praying for the dead.   However, to be fair to Luther, he went with the Hebrew-speaking Jews understanding of the Canon.  Yet that does not take away from the fact that until the reformation, the books of Maccabeus were in the canon and praying for the dead is part of one of those books.

My use of St. Paul’s analogy is still a good way to show the process of how God slowly ‘burns’ away through the fire of infinite love all that keeps the soul from true union.  Now I know that many non-Catholics believe that salvation is nothing like that.   The soul is covered with Christ, like snow covers a pile of dung, or a manure heap, an analogy from Martin Luther.  Which is not scriptural, any more than ‘once saved always saved is’, or even the ‘Trinity’ which was a later development in the Church’s understanding of Jesus relationship with the Father.  What did the first born mean?  Today we read into many of St. Paul’s teaching on Christ, but actually, it took many years for the Trinity to become the central doctrine of the Church.  Aryanism, now consider heterodox, was in the early church one theory considered and argued over.  In fact, this understanding of Christ almost won.  

Our understanding continues to develop and I believe the weakness of fundamentalism is that it has become an ideology, a system so closed that it will day simply shatter.  What many consider ‘true Christianity’ actually come into existence in the 19th century.    Christ Jesus is the ‘Word”, the creator of the universe, and in him, we live and move and have our being.  I believe that opening of the Gospel of John states that clearly.  So this is a mystery that the church contemplates and will continue to so until the end of time whenever that will be.  Tomorrow or ten thousand years from now…..every generation beginning with Paul thought the Lords coming is near….indeed it is….yet in God’s timing, not ours.  We are still a young faith I believe, we have yet to attain the maturity that Christ Jesus is calling us to, which is to be truly childlike.

The condescending attitude towards other religions and the treating God like he is some kind of real estate that can be owned and then used to damn just about everyone else, I believe is not what Christ had intended.  Also, the “I am infallible’ in my take on the scriptures and everyone else wrong is also somewhat childish I believe.   Rigidity is not a gift of the Holy Spirit.

Christ is Lord; His Holy Spirit continues to deepen our understanding of his saving intent for mankind.  To think that we have a complete understanding of that reality only makes us Idol Worshippers.  We use Scriptures to mold God into our own image and likeness one scripture quote at a time.  God has no image, Christ is God’s human face, but the mystery still remains. 

Even though we argue amongst ourselves, I believe that it is Christ Jesus who holds us together.  I love everyone here and respect them, even those who believe I belong to a cult:rolleyes:.  I don't belong to a cult, for the Catholic Church is the mother of all other denomination and the use of the New Testament which was put together by the RCC in ways that was not intended, is a tragedy and only continues to break down the church further and further.  I guess the final fruit of that is ‘WestboroBaptistChurch’.  It will continue and is perhaps one of the greatest scandals to the world.....how we love to fight and damn each other to a fate of infinite pain and suffering, all the while saying how much we love sinners......it would be better to be honest about it and not be so overly pious. 

Love this post  Mark, as it sums up so  much which is missing from 'fundamentalist  ideology  ' ,which leads away from the spirit of God , to fear and ignorance . 

Guest Thallasa
2 minutes ago, Willa said:

1Co 9:19  For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more;  1Co 9:20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 1Co 9:21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law, 1Co 9:22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Brother Mark, I again implore you to speak to and emphasize the doctrines we hold in common, becoming all things to all men.  It is sad that you are not open to correction of Scripture regarding the traditions of men.  But I do urge you not to be divisive on these forums. 

He is not being divisive , he is giving some of us an opportunity to learn .

Guest BacKaran

Cuz the devil and the RCC can get away with it, they've got the popular backing of so many lost souls who fell for the Queen of the church lie among others.

I am and I may be all things to all people but I am not too be above God, or His truths.

Is it love to let your brother continue in sin when God tells us to rebuke them and correct their errors? 

I call that hate to let them continue falling for the devil's lies, that's what the RCC and others are doing and we, born again believers, are to call them out and expose every lie.

And when rccers refuse His Truth, they refuse God. And why would any one remain in a church if it's not 100% biblical? That's the insanity of it, oh I don't agree with the pipe on this it that.  Really? Hold him accountable then, he's just a m a n !

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Thallasa said:

Love this post  Mark, as it sums up so  much which is missing from 'fundamentalist  ideology  ' ,which leads away from the spirit of God , to fear and ignorance . 

Thank you my friend, always good hearing from you.

Peace
mark

Edited by markdohle

5 minutes ago, BacKaran said:

Cuz the devil and the RCC can get away with it, they've got the popular backing of so many lost souls who fell for the Queen of the church lie among others.

I am and I may be all things to all people but I am not too be above God, or His truths.

Is it love to let your brother continue in sin when God tells us to rebuke them and correct their errors? 

I call that hate to let them continue falling for the devil's lies, that's what the RCC and others are doing and we, born again believers, are to call them out and expose every lie.

And when rccers refuse His Truth, they refuse God. And why would any one remain in a church if it's not 100% biblical? That's the insanity of it, oh I don't agree with the pipe on this it that.  Really? Hold him accountable then, he's just a m a n !

I thought you blocked me!  In any case, I will only respond to threads and keep on subject.   Don't want to be banned, I like it here and like the people, even you BacKaran.  Yet you should block me, for I have the feeling no matter what I post, you will respond the way you are doing now. 

Peace
Mark

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Why is it when one side pushes Truth, the other side uses the 'hate card'?

Who is using the hate card here?

peace
Mark

2 hours ago, Davida said:

This is a Christian Forum, and teaching False Spiritual  practices and false spiritual Teachings and defending them goes  Against Christian Teachings.

There's plenty of non-Christian spiritual sites on the Web and many, many Rcc sites,  one has to ask why try to promote the unbiblical Rcc doctrines here? 

I am not promoting, yet I feel there is a tad too much pre-judgment here. 

peace
Mark

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,449
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

On 1/27/2017 at 9:57 AM, markdohle said:

Just as I lose out if I don’t grow in my ability to allow the process of purification to occur in my life with others, the same is tragically true with my relationship with the Lord.  The process of sanctification is long and drawn out in this life.  If not finished, then this grace-filled process continues.  After we let go of the brain in death, what is unconscious in us becomes conscious, we can’t hide anymore from what needs to be healed and purified by the grace of the Lord…..it is not punishment, though like all healing, painful.  Just as it is in our experience of deep relationships with others, if rejected then there is only a shallow attachment. 

Mark, could you explain a bit more what you mean here, or what are you talking about ?.

7 hours ago, Yowm said:

Maybe you should ask Thallassa who she was referring to in the remark I made a response to. Otherwise it is a general observation with no one in particular in mind. Why are you asking, convicted?

No of course not.  I don't hate anyone here ;-)....what Thallassa, what was hateful about it?

Peace
Mark

3 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

When I was in the RCC, we were taught;  ALL those who died went straight  to purgatory, no one believed they were saved as that was a sin in the RCC, the sin of presumption. We were taught that there was several ways to get your dead loved ones out of purgatory sooner. Prayer was the most economical. Cash was better. (and faster)  You ask your priest to perform a Requiem Mass, also known as Mass for the dead (Latin: Missa pro defunctis). It was not free. I've noticed the majority of catholics I talk to in person, are very receptive to scripture, tho very lacking in understanding. I was one of those at one time. I've also noticed, in my experience, is  that the hardest catholics to convince what the bible actually says are on Christian forums. I would not try to convince one on this forum, unless asked.  I'm writing this for all those lurkers out there who are reading this, searching.     Think, by grace, through faith.    Very simple.   Childlike.   Took me thirty five years to hear those words.  Also, the word repent, in the bible means;            REPENT....to think differently.....to reconsider.         What I did.

Light is come into the world, but men loved darkness rather than light.

2Co 4:3  But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2Co 4:4  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Gary Lee

In Him Who is

Semper Fidelis

That is not true.  I have been a Catholic all of my life and never heard that.  Purgatory is a place of healing, a continuation of God grace in the process of sanctification.  To have a Mass said is to simply pray for the souls who are on the way to deeper healing.

Peace
mark