• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Praise2God4ever said:

This may sound like a stupid question at first, but i guess my question is more "to what extent?" i am aware that gluttony is a sin, but should we always try to scrape by on the bare minimum, or should we take pleasure in it sometimes?

Gen 1:29, And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food:

Gen 9:3, Every moving thing that liveth shall be food for you; as the green herb have I given you all.

God tells us we can partake of everything necessary for our survival on this Earth, but we should use our God created common sense and eat in moderation.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

41 minutes ago, JaniceR said:

There are no fat people in the midst of famine. Kinda makes me believe that being overweight has something to do with how we eat.

Sometimes not always. I have known people with a thyroid disorder and they lose their metabolism. They can instantly gain a lot of weight. Or someone that is on a particular medication. Many medications have a side effect of putting weight on a person.They people can be eating like a bird. So it is best not to judge a person who is over weight unless you know the whole scenario.

5 hours ago, OakWood said:

We are designed to enjoy our food and take pleasure in eating it. It is not a sin. Just give thanks to God for it.

I don't think gluttony is mentioned in the Bible, at least not in that context, but probably in the context of laziness and  self-indulgence,and mentioned in connection with drunkardness. I believe it is Catholic doctrine that has created gluttony as one of the seven deadly sins.

I also think that gluttony may  refer to obsession with one type of food at the neglect of others, in other words an imbalance in diet. Variety is important. Those who eat too much of thing and not another are abusing their bodies.

Finally I would like to add a saying of the Amish:

"Take as much as you like. Eat all of it."

In other words, 'waste not, want not.' Some people need more food than others, but don't let the greed of your eyes be bigger than your belly can hold. Don't stuff your face just for the sake of it, but think of others and their nutritional needs too.

Yes, gluttony is mentioned in the Bible.

Proverbs 23:2

Proverbs 23:20-21

Proverbs 28:7

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, simplejeff said:

It's awkward, perhaps true, whether things are really outside a person's control, unless they are minors.

Look at pictures of woodstock from decades ago.

Over 50,000 people more or less,  and not one overweight.

Within 2 or 3 decades,  massive changes. (pun intended).

The reasons, or causes,  were within man's control. 

Now, today, for lack of knowledge (personally,of this),  it may seem outside man's control.

Clinics everywhere (figuratively),  have wonderful success (maintaining or achieving health again) , as

do individuals, families, communities,  in some areas. (where the knowledge is preserved)

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Being over weight has a lot to do with a person's genes. Also their are illnesses and medications that put weight on a person that is out of their control. People who are on illegal drugs are often thin. There may also be psychological reasons that a person eats too much. Depression, anxiety and then there are those who binge such as in bulimia.

46 minutes ago, JaniceR said:

There are no fat people in the midst of famine. Kinda makes me believe that being overweight has something to do with how we eat.

There was no famine during the years around woodstock.    in the usa.

Things changed after the 50's - 60's that caused overweight regardless of eating habits. 

Again note that the movies, pictures, etc of crowds, concerts, parades, events before 1960 in the usa

show none if any overweight persons.

Likewise,  see this in SCRIPTURE,  and clearly detailed in the book "MOSES Wasn't fat".  

It is a "new" phenomena in the untied states,  and has results (as expected) of billions upon billions of

dollars of extra profits for pharmacy, doctors, and many other 'industries' that don't care - they love it.

The clinics and individuals who have discovered, explored, investigated , published and dealt with this

humanely have been for the most part swept aside (ignored).

A few licensed doctors with a much higher success rate than average were blacklisted after they published what they found.

Too much money is involved for the truth to be published.   The lies that make money super-abound both

in government and medical and schools and churches etc etc etc all through society with few exceptions,

just as written in SCRIPTURE.

18 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Sometimes not always. I have known people with a thyroid disorder and they lose their metabolism. They can instantly gain a lot of weight. Or someone that is on a particular medication. Many medications have a side effect of putting weight on a person.They people can be eating like a bird. So it is best not to judge a person who is over weight unless you know the whole scenario.

These conditions make it harder to lose weight. But it is possible. Some people have to wok at it a lot harder.

There are foods and exercise that help regain metabolism.

1 minute ago, JaniceR said:

These conditions make it harder to lose weight. But it is possible. Some people have to wok at it a lot harder.

There are foods and exercise that help regain metabolism.

It is possible but it is very,very hard. These people can eat a very healthy diet everyday and exercise regularly and still not take off the weight unless their physical disorder stabilizes or they are taken off the medication.

12 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Things changed after the 50's - 60's that caused overweight regardless of eating habits. 

Again note that the movies, pictures, etc of crowds, concerts, parades, events before 1960 in the usa

show none if any overweight persons.

What happened was that the public was misinformed about good nutrition.

We were told not to eat animal fat, when in fact healthy fat is really good for us.

We were told to use vegetable oils which are unhealthy and full of carbs.

We were told to eat lowfat foods that were infused with carbs to make them taste better.

We became a fast food society.

We stopped sending kids outside to play and sit them in front of TV's and video games.

I could go on and on and on........

2 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

It is possible but it is very,very hard. These people can eat a very healthy diet everyday and exercise regularly and still not take off the weight unless their physical disorder stabilizes or they are taken off the medication.

I bet they could if you sent them to Somalia.

Just now, JaniceR said:

I bet they could if you sent them to Somalia.

No, that is not the issue. You are still saying they are heavy because they eat too much. Although that is the case sometimes but not always.

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

No, that is not the issue. You are still saying they are heavy because they eat too much. Although that is the case sometimes but not always.

Ok not all the time. 95% of the time/