IGNORED

help

Guest low-end

Guest low-end

Thank you all for your words. Praise Jesus! My biggest concern is that by playing in the bars, I am tempting people to sin. As a band, our goal is to bring as many people to our shows as possible. Our devoted fans come to the bar specificaly because we are playing there. They drink, dance, and generally have fun. But, what if somebody comes out to the bar to see us, drinks, then drives and kills somebody? Or because they have lost their inhibitions commit adultery or rape or some other atrocity. Is it my fault for attracting them there in the first place? Also, we are sponsored by a liquor company and expected to promote it. Oh yeah, we also play a couple of songs by the Grateful Dead, including one that uses the Lord's name in vain and another one that says "a friend of the devil is a friend of mine". Many people sing along with the songs. Am I causing people to sin? Or are they responsible for their own actions and I'm just a christian playing music with my friends? :mgqueen:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  224
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Dear low-end,

Well, is Jesus in you of a truth? I'm not so sure. If He is in you, how could you take His name in vain and not feel bad? If Jesus were in you, His life and Spirit would feel grieved at that. The other question about going into bars etc also has to do with whether or not God is in you. Do you think God feels comfortable in a bar? If you want God to live in you, why would you take Him into a bar? Why would you sing songs that He doesn't like? It seems obvious that you have some kind of musical ability. Why can't you use it to uplift the good in people? It doesn't have to be stodgy or dull but this world needs music that uplifts and encourages people to be better, not something to drag them down and cause them to be more filled with hatred for God. Only you know the exact circumstances of your band but I think you need to evaluate it by the standard of Jesus. Would Jesus like to go to the places where you are going? And don't say well He hung out with sinners and publicans. He did go to their houses and help them out but He told them to stop sinning. He didn't tolerate sin. He didn't hang out with people and act sinfully along with them. He always brought people up higher in their love and understanding of God. God is the most wonderful prize you could ever find. He is the pearl of great price. Whatever you do to get Him into your life, it will be worth it all.

Guest low-end

Thank you for responding to my post. We do play songs that uplift people. The two songs that I mentioned are not songs that we wrote. They are covers. I personally do not sing on either of them. I play the bass. I have a BIG problem with those two songs. I asked our singer if we could get rid of them because as a christian, I can not play them in good concience. His only response was that "It's a big part of the show". We are leaving town tomorrow for Savannah, GA to play the biggest show of our careers thus far. 90,000 people will be there. I am going to talk to the band before the show and ask if we can not play them anymore. If they say that I have to play them, I am seriously considering leaving the band. All of our other songs are about things like love and soul searching. I don't know how I feel about being in the bar. I don't think that I am taking God into the bar with me, because He is already there. He is everywhere! It seems like if I am there and behave like a christian, then God wouldn't be upset about it. Any thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

That's the tough part - arguments can go either way.

Yes, God is everywhere.

Yes, the Gospel needs to be preached, even in bars.

But how much Gospel are these people able to get from you while you are there?

The bottom line goes back to what is the Holy Spirit nudging in your heart?

Which decision will bring you the most peace in your heart?

I know discerning the Lord's voice can be confusing. That's why it becomes helpful to ask for "indications" from the Lord, or signs if you will. Just keep in mind "signs" don't have to be something dramatic. They could be a circumstance that speaks louder than words, they could be a word of perspective that just makes things click, or wahtever.

So, serious, ask the Lord for a clear direction/ sign/ indicator/ or whatever you want to call it to be given you of what His desire for your life would be.

OK?

Guest Thomas I believe
I am a professional musician. I play in a secular band that is regionally very popular. My profession takes me to cities all over the US. We play mostly in bars and theatres. Recent events have brought the faith of myself and my wife to new heights. I am just wondering if I can be a good christian and still play in this band. Please help. :emot-hug:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be a witness unto all men and I agree with others here . Follow the Lords leading !! :emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

low end,

God bless you.

It seems you are not at Peace about this? All the questions that I see are coming from your heart. :emot-hug: Know how we know that we are in the place of God's Will? We have a Peace about things that can't be stolen.

Continue to pray and read God's Word. Ask for direction and ultimately what God's Will is in this. As the others have told you above. Watch for the Lord. Then line yourself up with God's Will. :emot-hug:

I want to leave you with a scripture;

1Sa

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

But, what if somebody comes out to the bar to see us, drinks, then drives and kills somebody? Or because they have lost their inhibitions commit adultery or rape or some other atrocity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you can be held responsible for that. No one is forced to drink, I've been out plenty of times and stuck to Dr Pepper and have no qualms about it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

What is the Lord telling you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! :8:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

ONly you know that.

Is your music telling people that things like drinking, gambling, drugs are good things.

It is by your music a good thing to cheat on your wife, have sexual affairs or more.

Does your band help support people to drink and get drunk.

If Jesus was ( and he is) standing next to you, hearing every word you sing, and going into every building you go into. If you would not want your preacher, or Christ to go into any building you are going into, should you?