• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1980

Hello everyone,

I saw a book, I think it was Max Lucado's, I only read the summary and it said that JC went into darkness for some keys???? Does anyone know where this is in the Bible ....?

Thanks your sis in Christ

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

DearJudy,OurLord

In truth, there is much yet to be studied upon my own account of Christ. Though from what I have come to read as well as know, Jesus was not one mentioned in scripture to have gone to hell. Though I will not jot out the possibility for God's power is without end or limit.

Also curious, what form of bible are you reading?

May God Bless You

Danielle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Dear Judy, Our Lord,

I saw a book, I think it was Max Lucado's, I only read the summary and it said that JC went into darkness for some keys???? Does anyone know where this is in the Bible ....?

First:

Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

At no time have the "keys of hell and of death" been in anyone's hands besides our Lord's.

But I believe the verse you may want is:

1 Peter 3:18-19 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

In addition:

Ephesians 4:8-10 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things)

It is difficult at best to establish a doctrine around this, but it would appear that upon Jesus death He went and preached to those in prison (the lower parts of the earth), and I believe He used the "keys" to release the captives that had been waiting there for His First coming and they they were taken with Him to heaven when He arose to the Father.

That is the best I can make of that and requires a bit of eisegesis.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

The Apostle's Creed states that Jesus descended into hell and rose again on the 3rd day.

The Bible says:

Ephesians 4:8-10

8This is why it says:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

The question as I see it is what is meant by hell.

1. Is hell the place of eternal torment?

2. The abode of the dead?

3. "Abraham's bosom?"

Nowhere in scripture is there any reference to Jesus "suffering in hell" as is one of the teachings of the word of faith crowd. As is mentioned above, there is reference to His "descending" and "ascending" and "leading captivity captive." He also preached unto the "spirits in prison."

I don't believe Jesus ever went to the place of eternal torment. He was in the grave for three days and three nights.

LT

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/20/1980

DearJudy,OurLord

In truth, there is much yet to be studied upon my own account of Christ. Though from what I have come to read as well as know, Jesus was not one mentioned in scripture to have gone to hell. Though I will not jot out the possibility for God's power is without end or limit.

Also curious, what form of bible are you reading?

May God Bless You

Danielle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

new international version

Guest seven
The question as I see it is what is meant by hell.

1.  Is hell the place of eternal torment?

2.  The abode of the dead?

3.  "Abraham's bosom?"

Nowhere in scripture is there any reference to Jesus "suffering in hell" as is one of the teachings of the word of faith crowd.  As is mentioned above, there is reference to His "descending" and "ascending" and "leading captivity captive."  He also preached unto the "spirits in prison."

I don't believe Jesus ever went to the place of eternal torment.  He was in the grave for three days and three nights.

LT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are partially correct and wise to question this.Hell merely means grave as well as sheol ,hades.....but the idea of an ever burning or place of torment is purely a man made idea of greek philosophy(platoism).Bear in mind god only has immortality.Adam and eve only ate of the tree of knowledge not that of eternal life.Eternal life will be given after we are resurected assuming we qualify for it.

for now as we know it,when we die we sleep in hell(grave)and cease to glorify god until our savior comes and we are ressurected some to everlasting life and some to eternal damnation(meaning cease to exist,as if you never was)Only satan and his angels will suffer greater because they are immortal spirits but for now we are not so you can see a great mercy this is on gods behalf for us. amen so be it

Guest shiloh357

Jesus went to the place called "Abraham's" bosom. He did not go to the place of punishment. Hades was divided into two parts separated by uncrossable gulf.

Those who teach that Jesus suffered in Hell, deny the gospel of salvation which says that man's sins were payed for completely upon the cross. Sin defeated when Jesus said, "It is finished." Jesus did not suffer for our sins in hell, and to say otherwise is to deny the sufficiency of Christ's sacrifice.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Jesus went to the place called "Abraham's" bosom.  He did not go to the place of punishment.  Hades was divided into two parts separated by uncrossable gulf.

Those who teach that Jesus suffered in Hell, deny the gospel of salvation which says that man's sins were payed for completely upon the cross.  Sin defeated when Jesus said, "It is finished."  Jesus did not suffer for our sins in hell, and to say otherwise is to deny the sufficiency of Christ's sacrifice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll say amen to this. I am glad it was finished at the cross.

LT

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Amen and right on Larry t :blink: