• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Beloved brethren, see this excerpt of the Sacred Scripture:

·        “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16.18,19).

What are the gates of the hell and the keys of the kingdom of heaven?

At first, everything seems to indicate that key is to open the gates of the kingdom of heaven. However, Jesus associates key with binding. What is it to be connected and how?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

This is one of the most misunderstood and misapplied portions of Scripture, and has been used to support the papacy and the pretensions of popery.  So each phrase and clause must be carefully assessed in the light of Gospel truth, not Roman Catholic deception.

4 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

“And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

1. “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter,...

It is the apostle Peter who is being addressed here, and the Lord Jesus Christ gives him an additional name "Peter" (Greek Petros, Aramaic KephaCephas = little rock). It was Simon bar-Jona (Simon son of Jonas) who became the apostle Simon Peter at this point.  The reason Christ called him Peter is because God the Father elected Peter to receive the revelation that Jesus of Nazareth was none other than the Christ, the Son of God. He was blessed and also appointed as the leading apostle of the Twelve. 

"...and upon this rock I will build my church..."

Now "this Rock" (Greek Petra = massive boulder) is none other than Christ Himself, since Scripture makes it crystal clear that God is our Rock, and Christ is also the Stone which the builder's (the Jews) rejected, but will the the Stone from Heaven which destroys all the kingdoms of the earth (as shown in Daniel).  The Church cannot be built on anything other than Christ, therefore Paul says that "other Foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Christ". Christ is the Rock because Jesus is "God our salvation", and it is "Christ in you, the hope of glory".

"...and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it..."

That word "hell" should really be Hades (as seen in the Greek text), and once we recognize that this is a reference to Sheol/Hades, it makes the meaning perfectly clear. "Gates" could be metaphoric or not, but it does not matter.  The souls and spirits of the OT saints were confined to Sheol/Hades until the resurrection of Christ.  However, they were set free from Hades at that point, and no believer has ever entered Hades since Christ ascended up to Heaven.  Thus the gates of Hades could not prevail against (or confine) the Church, which is in Heaven and whose eternal home is the New Jerusalem.

"...And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven:..."

Again, these "keys" are metaphorical, but what do they refer to? The entrance to the Kingdom of Heaven is through the New Birth, and the seed of the New Birth is the Gospel itself (1 Peter 1:23).  It should be noted that it was Simon Peter who preached the Gospel on the day of Pentecost, and ushered about three thousand souls into the Kingdom of God, who were also baptized on that day.  

It was also Simon Peter who was specifically sent to the household of Cornelius to preach the Gospel, and again all those who heard the Gospel were saved and baptized that day. So "the keys" plural is (a) the Gospel to the Jews and (b) the Gospel of the Gentiles.  While it is one and the same Gospel, Peter had tremendous difficulty in accepting the fact that God wanted the Gentiles to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

"...and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Peter was also given apostolic authority to make judgments in the name of Christ, and bring judgments upon sinners. We see this authority being exercised in the case of Ananias and Sapphira, and also in the case of Simon the Sorcerer.  Other apostles also had this authority, as we see in the case of Paul.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

13 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

Beloved brethren, see this excerpt of the Sacred Scripture:

·        “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 

When Jesus spoken these prophetic words about Peter, which was at the time of the choosing of his disciples, Peter had no idea what it was all about.

Jesus words came to pass, at the day of Pentecost and there after with the healing of the paralytic man and the miracles that follow. 

At that time to Peter was given this special gift, to proclaim the Gospel, and many believed, as a result we have Peter as the foundation of adding Believers in the church of Jesus Christ. 

Peter preach the Savior Jesus Christ, not himself.

Jesus made Peter the Rock of the faith for both to the Jews and later beginning with Kornilius to the Gentiles also. 

JESUS choose him , that through him the Gospel began to spread. 

Jesus gave Peter special powers, to heal people and other super gifts, like Jesus said; if I heal your sick then the Kingdom of Heaven has come to you, the same was with Peter.

JESUS gave him the power to speak and things come to pass. 

Peter was not the head stone , but Peter was use by the head stone, who made him a great stone himself to bring many to faith. 

Jesus warn Peter this time, and many other times that no servant is greater than his Master.

That the same way that the Devil try to destroy Jesus beginning at the dessert with deceiving invitation, and with many other deferent and diverse ways but he did not succeed, the same thing will happen to him also.

At one time he told him that the Devil desires to sift him. 

But Jesus assured Peter that the Devil won't succeed, and that Peter will complete his mission and his ministry here on earth. 

The same thing was for Paul, he was a great Rock of the Gospel, and he brought many to the faith of Jesus Christ, and Jesus also gave him the keys of the kingdom, just like with Peter. 

The point JESUS wanted to make was to the effect that he knew that he will die and be resurrected, and that he will be uplifted in Heavens, but the kingdom of Heaven will remain with his disciples here on earth, they will be the ones to continue his miracles. 

The works of the Kingdom of God which I do you will also do. 

JESUS gave great powers to Peter, but not only to Peter, but to everyone he choose for his missions he also equipped.

That's how I see it anyways. 

13 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16.18,19).

At first, everything seems to indicate that key is to open the gates of the kingdom of heaven. However, Jesus associates key with binding. What is it to be connected and how?