IGNORED

Why We Should Mourn for the Copts, But Not Assume They’re Christians

Guest shiloh357

Guest shiloh357

In an atrocious display of terror and depravity, Coptic churches were bombed in Egypt. An explosion in Tanta killed 27 attenders at St. George’s Coptic Church, and a second explosion killed 17 in Alexandria at St. Mark’s Coptic Church. The Egyptian government announced three days of mourning, and we should mourn with them.

In Luke 13:3, Jesus had just received word that Herod had butchered Jews in the temple. That act of terror was eerily similar to what was experienced today in Egypt. People not deserving to be butchered like animals were indiscriminately murdered in a place of worship. Jesus’ response to hearing about the tragedy no doubt shocked the crowd, still reeling over the loss of life and drowning in a tidal wave of justifiable compassion. Their blood had not yet dried, nor their bodies cooled. Jesus’ response was, “Repent, lest ye likewise perish.” Jesus lived by the example given as exhortation in 2 Timothy 4:2, preaching both in season and out of season (or as more fluid translations render it, both when it is convenient and inconvenient).

An article like this one is bound to receive criticism for insensitive timing. We simply refer to the example of Jesus Himself, a sympathizing High Priest, who didn’t put truth in time out through an extended moment of silence.

Who are the Coptic “Christians?”

Until the murder of 21 Egyptians in February of 2015, the International Mission Board (IMB) of the Southern Baptist Convention listed the Coptic Christians as an “unreached people group” in need of Evangelism. After that event, in Southern Baptist leaders were publicly mourning the death of our “brothers and sisters,” and after Pulpit & Pen linked those articles at the IMB accordingly, the organization scrubbed all references and deleted all articles relating to Coptic Christians and their status as spiritually lost (link).

Whether or not you believe the Coptic believers are Christians depends on what you believe the true Gospel is and how you believe one is justified before God. If you believe that being a Christian is not a matter of ethnic or cultural affiliation and hold that one isn’t a Christian unless they’re justified, then in the most simple of terms, Coptic believers are not Christians for the exact same reason Protestants don’t believe Catholics are Christians. Coptic believers do not hold to the authentic Sola Fide Gospel of Jesus, and if they die while still holding to a salvation of merit, they will die in their trespasses and sins, and receive the due penalty thereof.

Read more at:

http://pulpitandpen.org/2017/04/09/why-we-should-mourn-for-the-copts-but-not-assume-theyre-christians/

Guest Judas Machabeus
18 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

In an atrocious display of terror and depravity, Coptic churches were bombed in Egypt. An explosion in Tanta killed 27 attenders at St. George’s Coptic Church, and a second explosion killed 17 in Alexandria at St. Mark’s Coptic Church. The Egyptian government announced three days of mourning, and we should mourn with them.

In Luke 13:3, Jesus had just received word that Herod had butchered Jews in the temple. That act of terror was eerily similar to what was experienced today in Egypt. People not deserving to be butchered like animals were indiscriminately murdered in a place of worship. Jesus’ response to hearing about the tragedy no doubt shocked the crowd, still reeling over the loss of life and drowning in a tidal wave of justifiable compassion. Their blood had not yet dried, nor their bodies cooled. Jesus’ response was, “Repent, lest ye likewise perish.” Jesus lived by the example given as exhortation in 2 Timothy 4:2, preaching both in season and out of season (or as more fluid translations render it, both when it is convenient and inconvenient).

An article like this one is bound to receive criticism for insensitive timing. We simply refer to the example of Jesus Himself, a sympathizing High Priest, who didn’t put truth in time out through an extended moment of silence.

Until the murder of 21 Egyptians in February of 2015, the International Mission Board (IMB) of the Southern Baptist Convention listed the Coptic Christians as an “unreached people group” in need of Evangelism. After that event, in Southern Baptist leaders were publicly mourning the death of our “brothers and sisters,” and after Pulpit & Pen linked those articles at the IMB accordingly, the organization scrubbed all references and deleted all articles relating to Coptic Christians and their status as spiritually lost (link).

Whether or not you believe the Coptic believers are Christians depends on what you believe the true Gospel is and how you believe one is justified before God. If you believe that being a Christian is not a matter of ethnic or cultural affiliation and hold that one isn’t a Christian unless they’re justified, then in the most simple of terms, Coptic believers are not Christians for the exact same reason Protestants don’t believe Catholics are Christians. Coptic believers do not hold to the authentic Sola Fide Gospel of Jesus, and if they die while still holding to a salvation of merit, they will die in their trespasses and sins, and receive the due penalty thereof.

Read more at:

http://pulpitandpen.org/2017/04/09/why-we-should-mourn-for-the-copts-but-not-assume-theyre-christians/

Just curious, are you a member of the Westburo Baptist Church. Your language is cleaner but you're just as mean spirited and sharp tongued. If I was a seeker and saw someone talk that way about others, I would not want any part of your faith. 

Just my opinion. 

Edited by Judas Machabeus

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Just curious, are you a member of the Westburo Baptist Church. Your language is cleaner but you're just as mean spirited and sharp tongued. If I was a seeker and saw someone talk that way about others, I would not want any part of your faith. 

Just my opinion. 

Well, in much of the world, "Christian" is not defined biblically.  It is defined culturally.   It has allowed many people to live in the form of Christianity without actually having a relationship with Jesus.  That is just a fact.   I would say the same thing about Catholics that the article says about the Copts.

You have religion and have no part of God at all.  A lot of people do.  And there is nothing mean spirited about saying that.   It is just the reality we live in and it is sending a lot of people to Hell.

If the article was comparable to the Westboro bunch, it would have said that God hates the Copts and that they deserve to be killed.  But that is not what the article said, so your characterization of the author is pretty much flawed.   Falsely comparing the author to the Westboro bunch is truly mean spirited.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Judas Machabeus said:

Just my opinion. 

I would agree. Being very judgmental over a people group he doesnt even know. My thoughts of the Catholic church and her daughters havent changed but like any church you will have those who are saved and those who arent.

4 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

You have religion and have no part of God at all.  A lot of people do.  And there is nothing mean spirited about saying that.   It is just the reality we live in and it is sending a lot of people to Hell.

That is true but your initial attitude was quite mean spirited, the way that it came out. 

On 4/10/2017 at 8:55 AM, shiloh357 said:

Read more at:

This is a judgmental attitude especially with a people the author doesnt even know. 

Though the Coptic church is itself a corrupt church as she is yet another Mary worshipping entity it is completely wrongheaded and hateful for the author to assume that every single Coptic Christian is spiritually lost. You do not know the heart of every single Coptic Christian. 

Just like the RCC or other Orthodox Catholic churches you will have many who arent saved but there are many who are, and who will be in heaven and are Roman, Coptic or whatever in name only. 

What does God say about those who are part of the Roman Catholic church and her children?

There are many who believe the church of Thyatira is the antecedent of the Church of Roma

Rev 2 (and note in particular the last passages)

And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

19I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

20Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel (Jezebel was probably a real person in the 1st century but she may also point to the demonic Mary apparitions), which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

21And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

22Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

23And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

24But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.

26And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Edited by TheMatrixHasU71

Guest BacKaran

Shiloh,

I understood coptic believers was a vague way of saying they were Roman Catholic but they broke apart from them.

Again, it doesn't matter how you tell the Truth, people are gonna take it the wrong way.

They are lost and we should pray for them. Thanks for sharing.

Karan

Guest shiloh357
31 minutes ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

That is true but your initial attitude was quite mean spirited, the way that it came out. 

No it wasn't. I didn't write the article. And there is nothing mean spirited about the article.   Just a lot of inconvenient truth.

Just now, shiloh357 said:

No it wasn't. I didn't write the article. And there is nothing mean spirited about the article.   Just a lot of inconvenient truth.

It is VERY meanspirited, and yes I see you didnt write it, but the author is presuming to judge the heart of every Coptic Christian. The man is not all knowing and all seeing. POne does not dare call every member of the Coptic church lost.

Guest shiloh357
20 minutes ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

This is a judgmental attitude especially with a people the author doesnt even know. 

Though the Coptic church is itself a corrupt church as she is yet another Mary worshipping entity it is completely wrongheaded and hateful for the author to assume that every single Coptic Christian is spiritually lost. You do not know the heart of every single Coptic Christian. 

I don't think he said that, as there might be a person who actually heard and believed the true Gospel, but that would be a minority.  What he said is generally true about that Church. 

What does God say about those who are part of the Roman Catholic church and her children?

There are many who believe the church of Thyatira is the antecedent of the Church of Roma

And you base that on what?

You are really stretching it trying to tie Jezebel to Mary in Thyatira.