• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

56 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

As I have already stated and you're apparently ignoring, no one is equating eating a meal with sexual immorality.   You keep perpetuating that libel, and it is simply not true.   The entire premise of your argument depends on assigning views that I have not expressed.

Let's try this one more time...

We both agree that the bible does not equate eating a meal with sexual immorality but it is ok to apply I Thes 5:22 to such a thing.

We both agree the bible does not equate being rich with greed but it is not ok to apply I Thes 5:22 to such thing. 

Why is it ok to apply  I Thes 5:22 to eating a meal but not to being rich?  Is it not possible for someone to look at a rich person and get the wrong impression that they are greedy in the same way it is possible for someone to look at two people eating  meal and get the wrong idea?  

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Running Gator said:

That is a logical fallacy called the Appeal to Popularity and it holds no merit at all.

No, it is not an appeal to popularity at all.   If I were saying, that I am right because "X" number of  people agree with me, that would be different.  

What I am saying is that one of the evidences that I am applying sound doctrine is that other people in the thread who are biblically and theologically literate are not disagreeing with how I am handling it on a theological level.

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, it is not an appeal to popularity at all.   If I were saying, that I am right because "X" number of  people agree with me, that would be different.  

What I am saying is that one of the evidences that I am applying sound doctrine is that other people in the thread who are biblically and theologically literate are not disagreeing with how I am handling it on a theological level.

Sorry, you are right, that is the Appeal to Authority fallacy, not the appeal to popularity.  My mistake

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, Danger Noodle said:

Ain't it the truth?  

The fruits they be apparent the opposer will find a way to enter in and play. The only thing that gives it time is if the Christians pay it mind.  

I travel for business even though I tell myself I'll take a break and enjoy the fruits of my labor for awhile. My husband is a master chef with a private club corporation that has interests all over the world. We travel separately, live separately, and have for over a year now pursuing our own passions in business . Never once have we doubted nor put at risk our passion for one another. Not once. 

Marriage is a covenant. That's something Atheists and those not in the covenant of Christ do not know about. It is a foreign concept and one to be adamantly opposed as we see happening in the world daily. Most publicly when we read of public figures divorcing because "he" had an affair with their nanny. Nauseating whore mongers as that betray the covenant of marriage because they never knew what it was. Marriage is an accessory. Something to be put on like a ring, or a necklace, or a topcoat. It shows bling, status, "I'm married", and yet it is as meaningless as anything that can be discarded on a whim. 

I find it disgusting that anyone would be deeply offended by trust in a relationship based on Christian principles. And yet the Devil is not only a liar but he is the enemy of righteousness. And if you pay attention as a Christian you will see him become very determined in fracturing the entire spirit in the covenant of Christians who are married. Because in his opinion God is the liar. Jesus is the liar. And respect for who we commit our lives to in marriage , keeping our bodies only for that spouse, is wrong. 

Just as God is in the Christian marriage, the Devil is in the Atheists marriage. He's also on the back of his devoted when they date. Satan doesn't understand righteous talk. God made it so. That's why when I meet the Satanic in public and they show me their fruit, their behavior, their heart when they speak against God and my faith, I recognize Satan's disciple. And I find when I turn my back on them they starve for the attention they crave hoping to lead the Christian to follow their lead as they assail God's holy word and hope the Christian will waste their time trying to reason with the demonic that have no reason to listen. 

Wonderful post,Sis. Thanks for taking the time to type it out.

Guest shiloh357

Let's try this one more time...

We both agree that the bible does not equate eating a meal with sexual immorality but it is ok to apply I Thes 5:22 to such a thing.

Okay, I will try and make this real simple:  I am not applying I Thess. 5:22 to sexual immorality.   The idea the thrust behind the passage is similar to what Jesus taught about sin. Sin begins in the heart, long before it is carried out in the flesh.  Jesus taught in the sermon on the mount, that we not only avoid sin, but we also avoid anything that prompt such things in the first place.

I Thess. 5:22 is talking about both avoiding sin and the appearance of it, as well.  And it really doesn't matter what you're talking about.  We are avoid anything that would give fuel to the rumor mill.  We are to avoid anything that even looks like moral compromise, and that is a higher standard than some people want to live up to. 

We both agree the bible does not equate being rich with greed but it is not ok to apply I Thes 5:22 to such thing. 

If being rich doesn't equate to being greedy, why would you manufacture a need to avoid the appearance of evil by staying poor?

Guest shiloh357
4 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Sorry, you are right, that is the Appeal to Authority fallacy, not the appeal to popularity.  My mistake

It's not even an appeal to authority.  If I were appealing to authority, I would be citing preachers and seminary professors who agree with me and declaring I am right because enough authoritative people agree with my position.  

You really ought to study these fallacies and make sure they apply before trying to accuse me of using them.

All I am saying is that those who know their Bible, some of whom are supposed to be (according to your view) offended females who feel demeaned, are actually holding up  for the biblical view.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

4 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

3 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Okay, I will try and make this real simple:  I am not applying I Thess. 5:22 to sexual immorality.   The idea the thrust behind the passage is similar to what Jesus taught about sin. Sin begins in the heart, long before it is carried out in the flesh.  Jesus taught in the sermon on the mount, that we not only avoid sin, but we also avoid anything that prompt such things in the first place.

I Thess. 5:22 is talking about both avoiding sin and the appearance of it, as well.  And it really doesn't matter what you're talking about.  We are avoid anything that would give fuel to the rumor mill.  We are to avoid anything that even looks like moral compromise, and that is a higher standard than some people want to live up to. 

If being rich doesn't equate to being greedy, why would you manufacture a need to avoid the appearance of evil by staying poor?

You guys have been going back and forth for 5+ pages and still haven't come to an agreement. What's the point?

15 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

If eating a meal with a woman not your family member does not equate to sexually immoarity, why why would you manufacture a need to avoid the appearance of evil by adding a third person?

Both eating a meal and driving a nice car can fuel the rumor mill, but to you only one of them is an issue.  I guess some people just live to a higher standard than others. 

Guest shiloh357

If eating a meal with a woman not your family member does not equate to sexually immoarity, why why would you manufacture a need to avoid the appearance of evil by adding a third person?

Because of the rumor mill and how such a situation could be misinterpreted by onlookers.   Many a pastor has ruined his ministry by allowing himself to be seen alone with a woman and greasing the wheels of the rumor machine.  In some cases, ruining the life of the woman he was with, in the process, even though nothing happened.

Both eating a meal and driving a nice car can fuel the rumor mill, but to you only one of them is an issue.  I guess some people just live to a higher standard than others. 

You are still not grasping the point.

Just now, shiloh357 said:

Because of the rumor mill and how such a situation could be misinterpreted by onlookers.   Many a pastor has ruined his ministry by allowing himself to be seen alone with a woman and greasing the wheels of the rumor machine.  In some cases, ruining the life of the woman he was with, in the process, even though nothing happened.

You are still not grasping the point.

Yes, I get the point.  What you are not getting is that the rumor mill can work just as well rumoring about how someone is greedy and shows off their wealth.   It is not just sex that people gossip about.  

Why is it ok for someone to take a chance with rumors dealing with wealth but not ok to take a chance with rumors dealing with sex?