MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

This is a good problem to have but I'm wondering if students are being prepared for all these jobs?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/never-harder-fill-job-america-155558184.html

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

Meh. Sounds like more whining because many employers don't want to train new hires. There a many fields that do not require specialized training, such as, say, the medical field does. Many (not all!) American employers just want to be able to "plug in" new hires and humans don't work that way. It takes time to learn a new position even if you have all the ridiculous degrees/certifications/experience they are supposedly looking for. I've seen jobs advertised as "requiring" a Bachelor's degree that only wanted a high school graduate a few years ago. I've also seen jobs advertised across the country that pay so little it wouldn't be worth moving to take one! Nothing worse than making $11.00/hr in a town where you need $15/hr to get by. Been there, done that. Never again.

Frankly, if employers are really having such a "horrible" time filling jobs then they need to take a hard look at what they are looking for. They are either paying too little, or wanting way too much education to "qualify." Not everyone needs a BS degree for an average office or manufacturing job.

I started working for my current employer through a temp agency, put in my time, and got hired on full time - and they are paying for the licensing needed for the new position. Some companies have realized the have a part in solving the problem too. The only thing is this: you have to be willing to "put in your time" to get there. Too many employees don't want to do that.

How many of these jobs are only part time or "contractor" jobs? Employers are up a creek w/o a paddle with the current health insurance problem. 

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, walla299 said:

Meh. Sounds like more whining because many employers don't want to train new hires. There a many fields that do not require specialized training, such as, say, the medical field does. Many (not all!) American employers just want to be able to "plug in" new hires and humans don't work that way. It takes time to learn a new position even if you have all the ridiculous degrees/certifications/experience they are supposedly looking for. I've seen jobs advertised as "requiring" a Bachelor's degree that only wanted a high school graduate a few years ago. I've also seen jobs advertised across the country that pay so little it wouldn't be worth moving to take one! Nothing worse than making $11.00/hr in a town where you need $15/hr to get by. Been there, done that. Never again.

Frankly, if employers are really having such a "horrible" time filling jobs then they need to take a hard look at what they are looking for. They are either paying too little, or wanting way too much education to "qualify." Not everyone needs a BS degree for an average office or manufacturing job.

I started working for my current employer through a temp agency, put in my time, and got hired on full time - and they are paying for the licensing needed for the new position. Some companies have realized the have a part in solving the problem too. The only thing is this: you have to be willing to "put in your time" to get there. Too many employees don't want to do that.

Very well said, Walla.  I have seen that in my own company; they want someone who can do the job on day one.  But my employers DOES pay better than most so we get a lot of good people.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

7 hours ago, Sojourner414 said:

I've seen places advertise some ridiculous job qualifications, to then see the same position later filled by an H-1B visa a few months later.

. . . and there we have the reason I left the IT industry - unless I could contract as a consultant for a time in order to finance my career change. That's the other side of the coin: jack up the qualifications, then bring in some H-1B folks who will work for much less. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

One data point: My current employer fills any position in India if at all possible because the equivalent job there costs 20% of the same job in the USA.  If it must be filled in the USA, they try to use a H1B workers who will accept 30% less on average than American workers.  

Fake news constantly shows a shortage of IT jobs in the US, but whenever I look at the actual data it ends up being companies trying to convince politicians to allow more H1B workers to lower their labor costs.  Mean while, American workers cannot easily compete with outsourced or H1B workers since they cost so much less.

9 minutes ago, bryan said:

One data point: My current employer fills any position in India if at all possible because the equivalent job there costs 20% of the same job in the USA.  If it must be filled in the USA, they try to use a H1B workers who will accept 30% less on average than American workers.  

Fake news constantly shows a shortage of IT jobs in the US, but whenever I look at the actual data it ends up being companies trying to convince politicians to allow more H1B workers to lower their labor costs.  Mean while, American workers cannot easily compete with outsourced or H1B workers since they cost so much less.

You hit that nail right on it's flat head, Bryan.  ;)

Btw, George, if you're reading, I LOVE the new emoticons on the right and the new format!

13 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

Btw, George, if you're reading, I LOVE the new emoticons on the right and the new format!

Me too George! Except that now I cant tell when someone is online. Wheres the green button?