• Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

16 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

It is a good topic Marilyn!

The principles I try to adhere to, are enumerated here,

and might explain how we come to some different conclusions.

I was never "taught" to do anything exegetically, I just adopted principles here and there, some are well tried, true and accepted by many, I embraced the ones that seemed best to me. Ultimately, it is our responsibility, to decide for ourselves, how we should go about understanding the Bible. Some do it using emotion. Some do that, and claim it is the Holy Spirit leading them, For some, that might even be true. One thing seems certain to me though, if there is a 'method' to apply, not all methods are equal, not more than one, can be correct, perhaps none are.

I have to trust God to give me the discernment and the intelligence, to get from His word what He wants me to get, and if I get that wrong, it is my fault, not His. 

In any case, we need to:

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15

Hi Omegaman,

Some really good thoughts there bro. And as God gave us `common sense` shows that even just reading God`s word people can have some understanding of it. However, as I think you would agree, to really understand God`s heart for what He wrote, we need His Holy Spirit who will lead us in to all truth. And we are right in that process - leading us.....

Blessings, Marilyn.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266

15 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Those are not rules of interpretation, per se.

It is only through the rules of hermeneutics that we can arrive at a proper application of what you note above.  Those two items occur at the end of the process.

Hi Shiloh,

You once said, ` The 66 books of the Bible have Jesus as their singular focus…`

I so agree with you there bro. Now we know that behind the expression of speech and writing, lies a thought.  The philosophy of Hebrew doctrine declares that behind thought is a thinker, whose mind is infinite in wisdom and knowledge.

Then we see that the Spirit of God has centered all truth in God the Son, and made all lines come together to reveal Christ`s character and His purposes.

A great variety of symbols, signs, types, shadows and sacrifices foreshadow Christ`s character and functions, and only a mind of infinite knowledge could foresee centuries beforehand, what they were to represent of the real substance - Christ.

Here are a few `lines` of thought.

Christ, as the expressed Word is the basic substance of all the shadows forecast. (Heb. 10: 1)

Christ is the historic centre of all recorded Bible history. (Acts 10: 43)

Christ is the prophetic seal of authenticity to all prediction. (Rev. 19: 10)

Christ is the dynamic power of all authority. (Prov. 8: 15 & Matt. 28: 18)

Christ is the intrinsic wealth of all spiritual values. (Col. 2: 3 & Phil. 4: 19)

Christ is the specific governor of all nations. (Ps. 22: 28)

Christ is the realistic expression of deity. (John 14: 9. Col. 1: 15.  Heb. 1 : 3)

These are but a few of the many lines of revealed truth concerning the Messiah, yet if these seven features only were removed from scripture, the Bible would be bereft of both plan and purpose. The structure would have no clearly defined commencement, no definite centre, and no determined consummation.

Christ the Living Word, is indispensible to the entire record.

(note: ref. C.J. Rolls)

Thus I would say that someone can know and apply all the `rules of interpretation` of literature, BUT would not really understand God`s heart as to what He has written. To do that we need - `the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.` (Eph. 1: 17)

So I would think that putting Christ first in our mind as we read God`s word, is in line with how God wrote His word. To think otherwise leads us to try and make the word revolve around us and how everything can apply to us. Wrong focus. So again I agree with you when you said - `The 66 books of the Bible have Jesus as their singular focus...`

Marilyn.

9 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Hi GandalfTheWise,

That was very interesting. Thank you for giving us an example of the `fall out` that can happen when someone not only does not read God`s word properly, but also does not have God`s heart.

Marilyn.

5 hours ago, Willa said:

Our pastor gives a teaching sermon.  He gives the historical background when he introduces a book.  He also tells us about the prevailing culture and conflicts of the time.  So as he starts expounding a passage verse by verse, these things are occasionally referred to.  We also study related verses and passages, believing the Scripture interprets Scripture.   When he studies for a sermon/teaching, he outlines the book.  But when he has done all that, he powerfully tells us how this passage affects us today. So he is also an exhorter.  All this is done calmly but with the authority and inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  It never fails to keep me on the edge of my seat, often taking notes and undersigning in my bible.  

He has a great deal of compassion for sinners and always counsels using Scripture.  We have a high rate of adults being saved and discipled as a result.  

While he is a stickler on good hermeneutics, he relies on the guidance and enlightenment of the Holy Spirit especially for application.  Then he refers to respected commentators and apologists to be sure he his not off track.  So he includes the best of both worlds and thereby avoids heresy and brings it home to our lives in a powerful way as well.  

Hi Willa,

Thanks for your comments and giving us insight to your believer`s group. With someone teaching like that no wonder you give such insightful comments with God`s grace.

Blessings, sis, Marilyn.

Guest shiloh357
9 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Shiloh,

You once said, ` The 66 books of the Bible have Jesus as their singular focus…`

I so agree with you there bro. Now we know that behind the expression of speech and writing, lies a thought.  The philosophy of Hebrew doctrine declares that behind thought is a thinker, whose mind is infinite in wisdom and knowledge.

Then we see that the Spirit of God has centered all truth in God the Son, and made all lines come together to reveal Christ`s character and His purposes.

A great variety of symbols, signs, types, shadows and sacrifices foreshadow Christ`s character and functions, and only a mind of infinite knowledge could foresee centuries beforehand, what they were to represent of the real substance - Christ.

Here are a few `lines` of thought.

Christ, as the expressed Word is the basic substance of all the shadows forecast. (Heb. 10: 1)

Christ is the historic centre of all recorded Bible history. (Acts 10: 43)

Christ is the prophetic seal of authenticity to all prediction. (Rev. 19: 10)

Christ is the dynamic power of all authority. (Prov. 8: 15 & Matt. 28: 18)

Christ is the intrinsic wealth of all spiritual values. (Col. 2: 3 & Phil. 4: 19)

Christ is the specific governor of all nations. (Ps. 22: 28)

Christ is the realistic expression of deity. (John 14: 9. Col. 1: 15.  Heb. 1 : 3)

These are but a few of the many lines of revealed truth concerning the Messiah, yet if these seven features only were removed from scripture, the Bible would be bereft of both plan and purpose. The structure would have no clearly defined commencement, no definite centre, and no determined consummation.

Christ the Living Word, is indispensible to the entire record.

(note: ref. C.J. Rolls)

Thus I would say that someone can know and apply all the `rules of interpretation` of literature, BUT would not really understand God`s heart as to what He has written. To do that we need - `the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.` (Eph. 1: 17)

Marilyn.

But none of that comprises the principles of biblical interpretation.  What you are using is what is known as homiletics.  You confusing homiletics with hermeneutics.   Homiletics follows hermeneutics.

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

But none of that comprises the principles of biblical interpretation.  What you are using is what is known as homiletics.  You confusing homiletics with hermeneutics.   Homiletics follows hermeneutics.

Hi Shiloh,

Now doesn`t `homiletics` refer to `a sermon,` the art of preparing sermons and preaching?

No I don`t think I am confused bro.

Marilyn.

Guest shiloh357
27 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Shiloh,

Now doesn`t `homiletics` refer to `a sermon,` the art of preparing sermons and preaching?

No I don`t think I am confused bro.

Marilyn.

Yes you are confused. You are confusing Homiletics with a homily.   A homily is a sermon.   There are commentaries that are more critical and strictly hermeneutical and there are commentaries that are homiletical in that they attempt to give a more spiritual explanation of passages, rather than interpret them.

Hermeneutics come before homiletics.  Poor hermeneutics leads to poor homiletical applications.

2 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes you are confused. You are confusing Homiletics with a homily.   A homily is a sermon.   There are commentaries that are more critical and strictly hermeneutical and there are commentaries that are homiletical in that they attempt to give a more spiritual explanation of passages, rather than interpret them.

Hermeneutics come before homiletics.  Poor hermeneutics leads to poor homiletical applications.

Yes I agree that a homily is a sermon and homiletics is to do with the art of preparing sermons and preaching. We both agree there. And of course when studying to prepare a sermon you obviously need to know good interpreting skills.

However where we disagree, at the moment is that I believe, as I preciously stated -

`While most of these `rules` are for literary works and scripture there are some `rules` only for studying scripture.

1. All scripture is to reveal Christ, His character and His purposes.

2. Each part of scripture relates to the whole of scripture. (God is the author of all the books)`

To place these only in regard to preparing sermons, is not correct. That makes reading God`s word just a matter of intellectual reasoning whereas we know we need God`s Holy Spirit to give us the insight relating to God`s heart, revealing His Son.

Marilyn.

We need to be careful we don`t become like some of the people in Jesus` day who sought to kill Him because He had healed a man on the Sabbath. Jesus said to them-

`You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of me.`  (John 5: 39)

They knew the law, they interpreted the OT scriptures right concerning the Law, however because of their pride they missed God`s heart concerning them, revealed in His word.

`Jesus said ...."For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.` (Matt. 5: 20)

The scribes and Pharisees obeyed the letter of the law, as written but missed God`s heart that obedience comes from the heart. David, the Psalmist knew this -

`For you do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart - these, O God, you will not despise.` (Ps. 51: 16 & 17)

That is why the Lord spoke to the people concerning the law - `You have heard that it was said of old, "You shall not murder." and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment." 

Then He goes on to say ....."But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment...` (Matt. 5: 21 & 22) 

Just to read God`s word according to rules of literature can be as the Pharisees, who completely missed God`s heart revealing His Son and His desire for changed hearts. Thus, I believe we need to first recognise, appreciate and ask the Holy Spirit for wisdom and understanding in the knowledge of Christ as revealed in God`s word.

Marilyn.

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Yes I agree that a homily is a sermon and homiletics is to do with the art of preparing sermons and preaching. We both agree there. And of course when studying to prepare a sermon you obviously need to know good interpreting skills.

However where we disagree, at the moment is that I believe, as I preciously stated -

`While most of these `rules` are for literary works and scripture there are some `rules` only for studying scripture.

1. All scripture is to reveal Christ, His character and His purposes.

2. Each part of scripture relates to the whole of scripture. (God is the author of all the books)`

We disagree because you are wrong and you really don't know much about hermeneutics.  Hermeneutics is what it is, not what you want it to be.   The rules of hermeneutics should not be confused with rules of exegesis, which is what you're confusing.  The rules of exegesis apply to Scripture and follow hermeneutics.

To place these only in regard to preparing sermons, is not correct. That makes reading God`s word just a matter of intellectual reasoning whereas we know we need God`s Holy Spirit to give us the insight relating to God`s heart, revealing His Son.

The mind and intellect play a huge role in cooperating with the Holy Spirit.  God created our mind and expects us to use it in the study of His word.   The Holy Spirit isn't at all disconnected from the intellectual processes like Hermeneutics or exegesis.   It is because people place such a low premium on the intellectual side of Bible study that we end up with false doctrines, much of which is rooted in a lack of hermeneutic study.

The study of Scripture is as much an intellectual pursuit as it is a spiritual one.