IGNORED

Ponderer, Postponer or POUNCER? T-I-C day.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Frankly, I considered leaving here after the first week or so.  My first impression of this site was a bunch of people who LOVED THE CAPS LOCK KEY, rejected any form of Biblical interpretation other than literalist, and wanted to insure the purity of the faith by stomping out any questionable doctrines outside a narrow range of beliefs. 

So far, in the short time I've been here, I've had my academic credentials and competence questioned, had my reasoning skills questioned, have been in essence put into the category of being a wolf because of a challenging question I'm willing to ask about Bible interpretation, had it indicated that certain views I hold are heresy, and had it implied that I reject scripture and hold atheistic views, often with CAPS LOCKS and bold face, color, and larger font text to emphasize the point and multiple people agreeing and liking some of those assessments.

Fortunately, this only occurs in a minority of the threads, but, I do have to wonder how many people have been run off by this type of behavior or have been wounded by it.  

It is one thing to say, "a literalist approach to interpretation is better than a historical contextual approach for these reasons..." and then debate on the strengths and weaknesses of different methods.  Such a discussion and dialog would be a benefit to us all for becoming better students of the Bible.  All methods of interpreting scripture make assumptions and have limitations.  The more we are aware of it, the better.  However, it is far different to rudely dismiss any other method of interpretation with an accusatory "ITS CLEAR WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS!  IT IS AS PLAIN AS DAY!  ONLY PEOPLE WHO DISBELIEVE GOD WOULD DARE QUESTION WHAT JESUS SAID!!!!!!!!"  and perhaps add bold face and larger font size to emphasize the point.  And then the extra people hopping in with a "PREACH IT BROTHER!!! AMEN!!!!!" add to the effect.  This simply does not seem to be constructive or spiritually healthy to me.   Frankly, the first time I raised a serious question about Bible interpretation in an advice thread I felt set upon by a pack of wolves and it actually threw me for an emotional loop for a day or so.

One of the biggest problems for me is that I am unable to ascertain the real tone of these posts.  Is it a friendly joking tone of "brother, are you starting to turn into a heretic on me?" with a smile, laugh, and little elbow poke to the arm, meant to ask me to re-evaluate my position?  Or is it truly a scathing warning for me and to warn other people to ignore me and stay away from everything I say?  Or is this a troll laughing at the parody and mockery of Christians? and laughing at the effect and divisions that they are causing?   I honestly am not sure at times, but I'll assume the best about them (that they are sincere believers with some rough edges that hold their views with a strong intensity) and continue to respond as gracefully and insightfully as possible.

Sir, I thoroughly empathize and understand you. Vitriol on a Christian forum brings shame to us all and makes witnessing that much more difficult. Like you I have on occasion attempted to caution us about how our words might seem to the unbeliever, or one who has yet to discover some of the Wonders of or Lord.

Words have consequences. They carry LIFE or DEATH.
Like you, I have been surprised to have been called a heretic and have had my veracity impugned.
But also like you, after a couple days I tried again to act as I ought.

I cringe when a non-believer has asked a question, only to have dozens of 'sinner' verses shoved down their throats. I guess the old saying applies; would you rather a well meaning elephant, or a helpful donkey step on your toes?

I even had the temerity to suggest that we should be gentle advocates of the Lord - man was I bashed for that one!

There are so many very clever folk on here, like yourself. They leave me open mouthed sometimes. However, there is ALWAYS someone cleverer, or better at discourse no matter what your I.Q. or level of expertise. And thank God, the ones that do not flout their knowledge or expertise stand out to me as humble geniuses.

A gentle answer turns away wrath. I have on occasion just walked away from a discussion, only to note (with a smile) that my 'adversary' kept posting in my wake, as if to wave, 'goodbye, errant sucker'.
So sad, but alas, so human.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

35 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Sir, I thoroughly empathize and understand you. Vitriol on a Christian forum brings shame to us all and makes witnessing that much more difficult. Like you I have on occasion attempted to caution us about how our words might seem to the unbeliever, or one who has yet to discover some of the Wonders of or Lord.

Words have consequences. They carry LIFE or DEATH.
Like you, I have been surprised to have been called a heretic and have had my veracity impugned.
But also like you, after a couple days I tried again to act as I ought.

I cringe when a non-believer has asked a question, only to have dozens of 'sinner' verses shoved down their throats. I guess the old saying applies; would you rather a well meaning elephant, or a helpful donkey step on your toes?

I even had the temerity to suggest that we should be gentle advocates of the Lord - man was I bashed for that one!

There are so many very clever folk on here, like yourself. They leave me open mouthed sometimes. However, there is ALWAYS someone cleverer, or better at discourse no matter what your I.Q. or level of expertise. And thank God, the ones that do not flout their knowledge or expertise stand out to me as humble geniuses.

A gentle answer turns away wrath. I have on occasion just walked away from a discussion, only to note (with a smile) that my 'adversary' kept posting in my wake, as if to wave, 'goodbye, errant sucker'.
So sad, but alas, so human.

I am told there is blessed subtraction, a thankful good riddance. Maybe there is, but there is also missed opotunity  for patience, generousity  and charity.  I also know there is such a sad creature as the sore winner.

I do like your reminder- a gentle voice.... It is  a much kinder  spirit to emulate than the "I got my rights", "I am right, and get yourself out of here, don't let the door knob hit you on the way out, as I'm the avenger of God", types that troll Christian boards usually with a proliferation of all caps in their harangues for the faith.

I think we all benefit in reading the instructional correction by our Lord God and savior Jesus, when the apostles were arguing about whom among then was the greatest.

Who Is the Greatest?

"And they came to Capernaum. And when He ( Jesus) was in the house he asked them, “What were you discussing on the way?”  But they kept silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest.  And He sat down and called the twelve. And He said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” And He took a child and put him in the midst of them, and taking him in his arms, He said to them,  “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives Me, and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me.”

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1