• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I know a lot of church people get all strung out about alcoholic beverages.

My view point is

1 Jesus made wine for the party

2 jesus said all things should be done in moderation

3 Jesus said it's not what goes into a man that makes him unclean but what goes out

4 Any negative scriptures I have seen pertaining to the wobbly sauce refers to drunkards and drunkeness

All of this information that I have found has made it ok for me to kick back and enjoy a pint.

Am I missing any scripture that might indicate an opposing view?

:noidea:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  177
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  02/13/1973

I do not drink as a rule. But if I am out at a restuarant with my husband I will occasionaly have a drink. I think as long as it is done in moderation that there is no problem. One of my former pastors said that there is nothing wrong in drinking as long as it is done in moderation.

Guest Fluffy the Cactus

You make a good point, Gerioke, and Jesus did drink wine. However, when you look at what the bible is refering to, the bible referred to simple grape juice as 'wine'. So, you've got grape juice as 'wine', and you've got alcoholic 'wine as... well, 'wine'. I don't drink because my father was an alcoholic and it destroyed his body and his life. I watched him slowly kill himself through the years by watching him chug can after can of beer. Both of my grandfathers (biological) were severe alcoholics, and abusive alcoholics at that. So, I generally stay away from alcohol. I'll take it in Nyquill, but... that's pretty much the only way I'll put that stuff in my body. My two cents.

???:noidea:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

Drinking to me isn't a sin but getting drunk is. I ama recovering alcoholic(I know I am very young) and I have been sober for a month now!!!! I chose not to drink because I don't need to pollute my body and it doesn't have good effects!

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

I do not believe that the "wine" in the bible was merely "grape juice'. Too many scriptures that state otherwise.

Anything done in excess, is wrong.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Actually, in the Bible wine was wine, was wine, was wine. It was extremely difficult to keep grape juice from fermenting in those days. In order to avoid alcohol from being produced at all, grape juice would have had to be drunk in less than 2 days.

The Lord performed his first miracle by turning water into the best tasting, highest quality wine available in His day. There is no doubt that this was alcoholic wine. The Bible's prohibition to wine is with regard to drinking in excess, not to drinking it period: "Be not drunk with wine, but be filled in spirit..."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

Yep, I'm with Ovedya. I would just add that drinking is another area in which we can cause others to stumble. For example, I will often have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. If I invited Constant over (provided I knew her), I would choose not to drink in order to not lead her into temptation.

Guest Fluffy the Cactus

Proverbs 23:29

Who hath woe? Who hath sorrow? Who hath contentions? Who hath babling? Who hath wounds without cause? Who hath redness of eye? (30) They that tarry long at the wine; they that go and seek mixed wine. (31) Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his color to the cup, when it moveth itself aright. (32) At the last, it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not; when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Words of a drunk, I would say. So, there is indeed a difference between "new" wine, and "fermented" wine. It's very clear in the Bible. Constant, congratulations and good luck with the recovery process. I'll be praying for you. :48:

Luke 5:39

No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, the old is better.

Ro 14:19-23

Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. For meat destroyeth not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offense. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. Hast thou faith? Have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith; for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.\

Well, I'll be d... er... I'll be.

Guest Fluffy the Cactus
Yep, I'm with Ovedya. I would just add that drinking is another area in which we can cause others to stumble. For example, I will often have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. If I invited Constant over (provided I knew her), I would choose not to drink in order to not lead her into temptation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:):noidea: That's a good attitude to have about it, too.

???:48:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

Proverbs 23:29

Who hath woe?  Who hath sorrow?  Who hath contentions?  Who hath babling?  Who hath wounds without cause?  Who hath redness of eye?  (30) They that tarry long at the wine; they that go and seek mixed wine.  (31)  Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his color to the cup, when it moveth itself aright.  (32) At the last, it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.  Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.  Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.  They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not;  when shall I awake?  I will seek it yet again.

Words of a drunk, I would say.  So, there is indeed a difference between "new" wine, and "fermented" wine.  It's very clear in the Bible.  Constant, congratulations and good luck with the recovery process.  I'll be praying for you. :48: 

Luke 5:39 

No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, the old is better.

Ro 14:19-23

Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.  For meat destroyeth not the work of God.  All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offense.  It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.  Hast thou faith?  Have it to thyself before God.  Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.  And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith; for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.\

Well, I'll be d... er...  I'll be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank You Fluffy :)