IGNORED

Has Samson's Physical Appearance Been Portrayed Correctly?

ForHisGlory37

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  3

Just now, ForHisGlory37 said:

Yes, but neither does size..... God uses just the opposite because it points to Him, His power, His glory, His strength

He can do that yes.

Doesn't mean He does it in all cases.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, HisFirst said:

He can do that yes.

Doesn't mean He does it in all cases.

No, not all cases, but I would venture to say that more than usually.... I guess we won't know until we actually meet the Samson! LOL

6 minutes ago, ForHisGlory37 said:

Look at  David, the little kid killing the Giant Goliath.  (It was the Lord who gave him the strength and quickness and ability to kill Goliath.)  

Don't forget that David was a seasoned shepherd who had killed a lion and fought off a bear to protect his sheep, so we're not talking about a scrawny kid with knobbly knees.

All of that bravery and tenacity was in preparation for his fighting in time to come.

Of course God was with Him but David was a pretty good candidate for the job physically and mentally in my opinion.

38 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Don't forget that David was a seasoned shepherd who had killed a lion and fought off a bear to protect his sheep, so we're not talking about a scrawny kid with knobbly knees.

All of that bravery and tenacity was in preparation for his fighting in time to come.

Of course God was with Him but David was a pretty good candidate for the job physically and mentally in my opinion.

Yes, but that's exactly my point, David was a young boy who volunteered to kill a 9ft giant Goliath when even the brave Israelite men were shaking in their boots,  God used a young small boy to bring down the Giant Goliath.  Don't you see the similarities here with the story of Samson?

Yes, but that's exactly my point, David was a young boy who volunteered to kill a 9ft giant Goliath when even the brave Israelite men were shaking in their boots,  God used a young small boy to bring down the Giant Goliath.  Don't you see the similarities here with the story of Samson?

I know what you're saying but I'm also showing that they have some foundation as well.

4 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

I know what you're saying but I'm also showing that they have some foundation as well.

Samson's foundation was that he had his hair that was the source of his strength (supernatural strength from the Lord) and was to never cut it.  But you know, God uses flawed people to show us how He redeems.  Samson was a total womanizer....

4 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Samson's foundation was that he had his hair that was the source of his strength (supernatural strength from the Lord) and was to never cut it.  But you know, God uses flawed people to show us how He redeems.  Samson was a total womanizer....

He also was a Nazirite - separated unto his vow.

And yes he had a fleshly weakness.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

2 hours ago, ForHisGlory37 said:

If Samson was a huge and muscular guy, why would it be so remarkable that he would have such strength?

Because regardless of what he looked like physically his strength was out of proportion to his physical appearance. It wouldn't have mattered if he weighed 120 pounds soaking wet and had the appearance of string beans or 6 foot and built of muscle, his strength was far more then any man could do.

Though honestly it really doesn't matter to me his physical appearance...it was obvious his strength was not his own regardless of his looks. That's the moral of the story.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

He also was a Nazirite - separated unto his vow.

All the people that the Lord used were separated unto Him.  Set apart.  Look at Jesus, they esteemed Him not. 

Isaiah 53 : 1-3 Who hath believed our report and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?  For he shall grow up before him as a tnder plant, and as a root out of a dry ground:  He hath no form or comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.  He is despised and rejected of men; A man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief:  and we hid as it were our faces from him; He was despised, and we esteemed him not. 

The Israelites were angry and rejected Jesus because He did not come as they expected Him to, a warrior King, but instead He came as the sacrificial Lamb of God.  Most again will not recognize Him when He comes again because they will expect a Lamb but He will be coming as fearsome Judge, for those who don't know Him.

12 minutes ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

Because regardless of what he looked like physically his strength was out of proportion to his physical appearance. It wouldn't have mattered if he weighed 120 pounds soaking wet and had the appearance of string beans or 6 foot and built of muscle, his strength was far more then any man could do.

Though honestly it really doesn't matter to me his physical appearance...it was obvious his strength was not his own regardless of his looks. That's the moral of the story.

I agree that his strength was out of "proportion to his physical appearance" but like I said, I think making Samson look like a strong man when he most likely wasn't in my humble opinion, distorts Christian's thinking.  It takes away from the incredible way we look at God Almighty.  How much more meaningful it is and how awesome is our God in that story when He uses an ordinary man and gives him supernatural strength?

Edited by ForHisGlory37