Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Doing an in depth study in Acts, one of the many things I ran across was something interesting in Acts 28:3. Where a viper nailed Paul in the arm and wouldn't let go. Based on the description, it sounded like it must have been a deadly viper, as the people knew what it was and its effects. Hum, what species of viper could it have been, the Bible doesn't say? 

From a process of elimination of the snakes of Melita, I can probably identify which species of viper it may have been. Hey Google, "poisonous snakes of Malta"

Surprise, no digging around, no process of elimination, it automatically knew I was looking for the viper that most likely envenomed Paul. I thought I'd be spending a little time trying to figure out the most likely venomous snake it might have been. Now I'm wondering if Google is employing some artificial intelligence in its search engine?

BTW. My own conclusion of the viper that bit Paul in my opinion and makes the most logical historical sense, is the "Horned Viper" (vipera ammodytes) of Europe in case you're interested. Maltese traditionalists claim it was the Leopard snake, but it's not very venomous. 

Horned Viper.jpg

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Google's searches work on three fronts.

First, word matching. Any words you enter into the search bar will be matched up to websites. For example, searching the word "bear" will pull up any and all sites which contain the word "bear".

Second, relevance and popularity. Google staff attempts to put most relevant searches first, also accounting for which pages get the most clicks. In other words, you found this easily because many other people have searched the same thing.

Third, safety. It makes sense that, if safe search is on, it isn't likely that something inappropriate will appear. Even if it's off, they shove potentially dangerous sites (ones containing malware or virus) either off the board or on the later pages. Also, as Google has the open secret of it being a very Liberal organization, they have been known to alter searches they deem unacceptable in recent years.

45 minutes ago, GreyDestiny said:

Google's searches work on three fronts.

First, word matching. Any words you enter into the search bar will be matched up to websites. For example, searching the word "bear" will pull up any and all sites which contain the word "bear".

Second, relevance and popularity. Google staff attempts to put most relevant searches first, also accounting for which pages get the most clicks. In other words, you found this easily because many other people have searched the same thing.

Third, safety. It makes sense that, if safe search is on, it isn't likely that something inappropriate will appear. Even if it's off, they shove potentially dangerous sites (ones containing malware or virus) either off the board or on the later pages. Also, as Google has the open secret of it being a very Liberal organization, they have been known to alter searches they deem unacceptable in recent years.

Thanks for the tip about the Google safe search, I wasn't aware of that feature. I'm trying it right now and it seems to really slow down loading?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

Doing an in depth study in Acts, one of the many things I ran across was something interesting in Acts 28:3. Where a viper nailed Paul in the arm and wouldn't let go. Based on the description, it sounded like it must have been a deadly viper, as the people knew what it was and its effects. Hum, what species of viper could it have been, the Bible doesn't say? 

From a process of elimination of the snakes of Melita, I can probably identify which species of viper it may have been. Hey Google, "poisonous snakes of Malta"

Surprise, no digging around, no process of elimination, it automatically knew I was looking for the viper that most likely envenomed Paul. I thought I'd be spending a little time trying to figure out the most likely venomous snake it might have been. Now I'm wondering if Google is employing some artificial intelligence in its search engine?

BTW. My own conclusion of the viper that bit Paul in my opinion and makes the most logical historical sense, is the "Horned Viper" (vipera ammodytes) of Europe in case you're interested. Maltese traditionalists claim it was the Leopard snake, but it's not very venomous. 

Horned Viper.jpg

Could it have been the black mamba.     

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Horned Viper.jpg

I often wonder this about acts too.  remember publius,    his father was sick and dying of a BLOODY flux

could that have been ebola.    I don't know but maybe.

9 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

I often wonder this about acts too.  remember publius,    his father was sick and dying of a BLOODY flux

could that have been ebola.    I don't know but maybe.

My idea of biblical bloody flux is a bowel disease causing dysentery and dehydration. My guess is that it might have been caused by polluted water and/or contaminated food or unsanitary eating conditions. But I don't know for sure. Some of these old time disease names like dropsy, consumption, etc. you would never guess until you look them up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for the tip about the Google safe search, I wasn't aware of that feature. I'm trying it right now and it seems to really slow down loading?

I guess i've never experienced that. If it does slow down, it's probably just taking an extra minute to filter out anything deemed unsavory. Either that, or I have experienced slow-downs after computer updates. It isn't exactly an update, but still, the slow speed typically goes away after I restart my computer.

• Thumbs Up 1