OneAccord

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

How do you deal with the funeral of someone you loved who you know was not saved? How do you comfort the family?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

With a lot of grace and love.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Shift the attention to the mourners.

No sense in them being lost as well :emot-questioned:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

How do you deal with the funeral of someone you loved who you know was not saved?  How do you comfort the family?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know who and who is not saved. I can only speculate based on their FRUIT but regardless, I am not their judge for ONLY HE is worthy and sits on the Throne of Grace.. There is no use in sharing my opinion since especially at that point, it is irrelevant.

So as Ovedya pointed out... I express my love and prayerfully reflect Christ in my words and actions. A hug goes a long ways! :emot-questioned:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Pray that the the Lord will touch those (in that family) who are not Christians. Maybe it will shed some light on their faith and whether or not they are Christians. That is what I pray for.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Gen. 18:25 "Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

It is not our job to assign destiny. We should not talk people into heaven, nor exclude them if we do not know their last breath and heart. God will be loving and just. If they are lost, they have rejected His love and mercy.

A funeral can do three things:

i) Remember the life of the loved one. We are all valuable and to be cherished.

ii) Comfort the survivors, especially family, who experience loss and grief. God is close to the broken-hearted.

iii) Challenge those who are left with the Gospel, our mortality, shortness of life, etc.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Well, if the family is also not saved, then a Gospel presentation would be the best.

Maybe you could do what some really want to do and shout to everyone "This person is burning in hell right now! You had better repent or you will perish too!"

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

How do you deal with the funeral of someone you loved who you know was not saved?  How do you comfort the family?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, as I told my sons, when their mothers second cousin died, when they asked if Kenny was in Heaven, I told them that it was between Kenny and God. just as it is with me, it is between me and God.

they asked if they could pray for him. I told them that Kenny can no longer use our prayers, for his judgement day is set. we can not pray a person into heaven. if the person did not make the choice here on earth, it is too late.

they were satisfied.

as far as me going to funerals, only if i know there will be some one there that needs comfort. with my mother in law, i was there for my wife.

when either my mother or dad die, i will be there for the other, my brothers and sisters have their spouses.

when Grandpa died, i was there for Grandma.

I did not grieve over Grandma, grandpa, or my mother in law, there was a total peace when they passed. my spirit rejoiced.

when my biological father died, that peace was not there, my spirit was grieved. when my wifes cousin died my spirit grieved. when the thousands died during the bombing of the trade center, my spirit grieved.

for the most part i do not do funerals. there was one this past weekend, it was the brother of a young lady we take to church for youth. I was there for a short time if she needed some one, I was there last week when she needed to talk. she was able to share her feelings and grieve and to put closure on it ( he was about 20 years old and was killed in a motorcycle crash with an SUV that ran an intersection. )

to say that everyone goes to heaven is not doing people justice.

three weeks ago, we lost a great niece, two and half years old. drown, the parents wanted everyone to pray that they could have a child, and they prayed for this also, and then they turned their backs on the Lord, and would not even allow anyone to mention God in their presence. then they loose their child, and first thing they do is blame God.... and then turn to the churches for money for the funeral.... and sitll are blaming God.

what is it we are suppose to tell the parents of this child?

the only thing i can say is the child is in Gods hands.

if it was an adult, like one of the two parents of this child, that are rejecting God, i would have to say that it is between them and God, for i have no clue what happened with in the last few seconds of the life.

some times the best thing is to not say anything , other then you might understand how they feel. and let them spill it out, allow them to use your shoulder and make sure you have a good crying towel.

mike

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/05/1967

:thumbsup::huh:

I'm sorry. I shouldn't laugh. That was horrible! Just horrible!!! :ph34r::D:blink: