warrior12

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

Being reading and watching youtube videos on this topic and it seems like this technology going to bump up the speed and variety of connections to just about everything that can be powered.  

Any experts here who can shed some light on the Good the Bad and  the Future of this technology.  

Also, what i am hearing is the rapid use of AI [artificial intelligence ] would bring about many changes to society and humans.  Any thoughts.    

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Much of the USA, especially areas outside large cities, has only one internet provider who is free to charge high prices for bad service.  5G could make cell providers a serious competitor and provide faster internet options to area with cell service.   At a minimum, it will help.  SpaceX and others are looking at serious satellite internet sources as well, so that's two fronts working to break up the current monopolies.

AI is an area where we're already seeing breakthroughs that could benefit society in general.  There have been many advances in medical fields alone.  It reminds me of then the best source of information was your local library.  If you had a question about something, you started there and if they weren't large enough you were pretty much out of luck.  The internet put knowledge at the fingertips of about anyone.  AI appears to be taking the next step where it takes hard research, inspection, and correlation tasks and performs them for humans.  Once we have fully autonomous and AI based cars, think how much time everyone will have saved by not needed to worry about driving.    Drunk driving and collisions due to texting or other causes will all but go away.   There are so many things can can happen to improve society and people's lives in general. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

Hi, I do not consider myself an expert,  but I work in the computer world doing extremely technical stuff and hear people talking about this all the time.

Before getting into Internet of things, the first thing to be understood is that there is a miniscule computer inside all devices we use, your phone has one, your washing machine has one, your dishwasher has one. 

These computers have the ability to record everything you do and store them as data. They can be extended to use this data and take decisions. Whether they are given this ability depends on the person manufacturing them.

Internet of things is where these individual devices (your car, your phone, your washing machine)  is connected to exchange data and take actions. For instance if you set an alarm on your phone to wash clothes at 11, your phone asks your washing machine to start up at 11.

The downside is that the potential to corrupt this system is extremely high. You will not have full control over your washing machine, your phone etc since they now have a mind of their own. If corrupted, your phone can instead ask your washing machine to blow up at 11, and there is not much you can do. Or your security system might lock you inside the house. All this happens if the system gets corrupted.

I would not recommend adopting Internet of things or AI.  we have very less control over what these devices can do.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:38 AM, GerdaHannah said:

I would not recommend adopting Internet of things or AI.  we have very less control over what these devices can do.

This is the thing, you would not have much of a choice but to adopt.  You may be able to withhold for a time, but eventually you would have to use their services if you want to function in the modern society.  Just like our Tax government services are no longer sending cheques to our mail but by direct bank deposit.

Time to clean out the bunker in the hills and stock up as the preppers  have been warning. ouch.  :emot-bulb:

I got a new credit card and they automatically installed the  pay wave feature. just swipe and you pay.   I have the option for now to call them and remove that feature, but the ease of use is kinda want me to keep it.  So the reel is slowly being pulled in....

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

On 3/27/2018 at 12:31 AM, Yowm said:

I don't quite understand. 

We had 2G, then 3G, then 4G and now 5G. Is 5G supposed to be some kind of quantum leap. How so.? Please explain in everyday terms.

Earlier cell phone service had only enough capacity and speed to handle voice calls and text messages.  If you wanted to watch videos on the internet, cell service was much too slow.  Your options for internet were local phone or cable companies.  

A few years later, smart phones became as powerful as most home computers.  They can be used to watch videos, play games, and more.  That forced cell service providers to innovate and compete with each other for your service.  Meanwhile local phone and cable companies enjoyed monopolies where people that wanted home internet has few or a single choice.  They didn't innovate much or have any competition.  

5G is the first cell service to be faster than most local phone and cable providers.  Many people who had no choice for internet may now be able to dump their local cable company with bad service and switch to a 5G provider for internet and more.  The could be a game changer for the industry leading many people to drop local service and rely on cell providers for internet and cell service.  In smaller cities and rural areas, this will likely happen quickly.  

46 minutes ago, bryan said:

The could be a game changer for the industry leading many people to drop local service and rely on cell providers for internet and cell service.  In smaller cities and rural areas, this will likely happen quickly.  

While 5G may be a game changer, there is little or no study done on the effects of this new technology that is being introduced.   Look online at the FCC chairman speech about this and he himself has said so.   His emphasis was the USA to be the first out with this technology and the many billions to be made.  I am reading and seeing videos that are saying this 5G technology can cause problems, and i will leave it there.  Everyone has to do some research on this.  

Don't want to be a CT on this, but the FCC chairman is on video and that's about what i know.  I have watched some youtube videos by some people that gave thier expertise on the technology.  Youtube is what it is, and unless we get some bonafide factual information from the authorities, we are stuck.

Type the below on your google search box and see the videos shown there.

fcc chairman on 5g technolog speech