• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,189
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

Scripture says;

1 Thessalonians 5:19 (NASB)
Do not quench the Spirit;

We have at one time or another all have done things that were wrong and have had God convict our hearts. We have lost our joy, we have lost the peace of Christ in our hearts. They did not return, the joy, the peace of Christ in our hearts, until we confessed our disobedience and returned to God. But it is this lesson well learned that is how God leeds His children. Eventually if the lessons are learned we hear the whispering of the Spirit of Christ in us before we sin. Than the times of being without the joy and peace of Christ in our hearts become a dread to us. We live for the joy of our salvation. Will listen very carefully to His Spirit within us is to never lose the peace of Christ in our hearts. The more we listen to the still small voice the more precise can we follow the leadings of the Spirit within us. Than we have finally learned to be doers of the word, where it says;

“quench not the Spirit”

much love in Christ, Not me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14

21 hours ago, Yowm said:

When it comes to the peace OF God, I go with this...

Philippians 4:6-7 KJV
[6] Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. [7] And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Their not exclusive, their  inclusion. 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

I disagree. Your suggestion looks within to Jesus and is not Scriptural, the verse I gave is Scripture and it points us to the risen Christ. The Spirit within never points us to Himself, that is New Age mumbo jumbo posing itself as Christian.

John 16:13-14 KJV
[13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. [14] He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

He doesn't speak of Himself but rather Christ. He doesn't point us to Himself but glorifies Jesus.

Well yes absolutely! I point to a “Christ in you”. 

1 Corinthians 3:16 (NASB)
Do you not know that you are a temple of God and [that] the Spirit of God dwells in you?

And again; 

John 14:23 (NASB)
Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.

Did He lie when He said “He would come make His abode with them”? 

For it is in the human heart He dwells, 

still again;

Romans 8:9 (NASB)
However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

This scripture even goes as far as to say if anyone doesn’t have the Spirt of Christ “in them” they don’t belong to Christ. For a Christ not “in us” is a Christ not ours. 

But you seem to be stumbling over when someone’s says they have a “personal relationship with Christ.”  I do have a “personal relationship with Christ”. He knows me and I know Him. And hopefully today,  I’ll learn Him a little more than I did yesterday, and a little more tomorrow than I do today. 

Same question and answer; 

When I’ve asked you if you have a personal relationship with Christ. You say; “I know Christ through the scriptures.” But what does Christ say about searching the scriptures for Him?

He says; 

John 5:39 (NASB)
"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

Knowing what the scriptures say is not that, that gives a person life. It is the willingness to “go to Christ” and have that close personal  relationship with Him, whereby you know Him,  and you know He knows you.

To the end that Christ would be formed in you. Wherefore the fruits of the Spirit would be manifested whereby Christ would be written in our hearts so He could be read of all man. 

5 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Paul is reminding them that the Holy Spirit dwells in them. and they are His temple, the context is in not defiling one's Body.

It is because of the Spirit dwelling in them the body needs not to be defiled , not the other way around. The Spirit “in them” is what sanctifies the temple. 

My Jesus has risen and will one day return to judge the earth. He is not a privatized Jesus; 

All our salvations in Christ are 100% personal. Either someone has a personal relationship with Christ, how be it a very weak one, they still have one whereby their saved or not. 

According to v.23 'we' means the Father as well, but I never hear you speak of the Father indwelling us, why not? The three persons dwell in us but it is the Holy Spirit in us who functions to point us to and glorify Jesus...not the Holy Spirit. Do you pray, "Our Father who is in my heart..."?

I use the Spirit, God, Christ the same way scripture does. 

We pray to God Who is in  heaven, who also dwells in our hearts by faith.

I have never denied the Holy Spirit dwells in us...but the incarnate Christ does not dwell in me...His Spirit does.

We have had this conversation before. The Incarnate Christ means Christ in bodily form. You are correct Christ in bodily  form does not dwell in the believer.

As s a born again Christian I have no problem with 'a personal relationship with Jesus. My problem is with individuals who push that mantra to the exclusion of downplaying God's Word. Jesus or Paul never used that term as I recall but Jesus often said "It is written".

Having a personal relationship with Christ is the foundation of Christianity. Without it one can name the name of Christ but would not  belong to Him. 

See, you proved my point by using Scripture to communicate Christ. We don't communicate Christ to others by touting "I have a personal relationship with Him...we share Scripture...i.e. God's Word. 

We have fellowship, one believer with another, when ones “personal relationship with Christ” touches another’s “personal relationship with Christ”, thereby “life” is shared and both grow. 

I could just as easily say you have a bad case of 'Scripture-phobia' with all your talk of a 'personal relationship'. That's a two-way street :)

You may say anything you wish. What is that to me? I follow Christ. 

Christ is formed in us through faith in His Word as faith comes by hearing and hearing by God's Word.

This is true and correct.

That verse about Christ being formed in them (Galatians)is in reference to their freedom from the law and their walk would be matured.

Correct. And how would they be matured? By having Christ formed in them to a larger degree. 

Where do you go to Christ? Is He not risen? Is He not our High Priest interceding continually on our behalf. You go to your heart, I go to my risen Lord by faith. That is where the Holy Spirit IN me has revealed Jesus to me from the Scriptures.

I strive each day to press into Christ. I’m glad to hear you do too. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I'll only comment on this as I believe it goes to the crux of the matter. If a personal relationship is the foundation of Christianity please explain the following...

1Co_2:2  For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Gal_6:14  But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
(1Co 3:10-11)

But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
(1Co 15:13-14)

You see, this whole concept of a 'personal relationship', though true, yet when made the foundation tends to put 'self' at the center rather than Jesus Christ.

Besides, many mouth a personal relationship but have none. The new birth, triggered by faith in the Gospel is what enters one into a personal relationship with Jesus.

I am aware that you think there is something more important than someone’s “personal relationship with Christ”. But I testify to you here today,  that is not true. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, Not me said:

It is because of the Spirit dwelling in them the body needs not to be defiled , not the other way around. The Spirit “in them” is what sanctifies the temple. 

All our salvations in Christ are 100% personal. Either someone has a personal relationship with Christ, how be it a very weak one, they still have one whereby their saved or not

I use the Spirit, God, Christ the same way scripture does. 

We pray to God Who is in  heaven, who also dwells in our hearts by faith.

We have had this conversation before. The Incarnate Christ means Christ in bodily form. You are correct Christ in bodily  form does not dwell in the believer.

Having a personal relationship with Christ is the foundation of Christianity. Without it one can name the name of Christ but would not  belong to Him. 

We have fellowship, one believer with another, when ones “personal relationship with Christ” touches another’s “personal relationship with Christ”, thereby “life” is shared and both grow. 

You may say anything you wish. What is that to me? I follow Christ. 

This is true and correct.

Correct. And how would they be matured? By having Christ formed in them to a larger degree. 

I strive each day to press into Christ. I’m glad to hear you do too. 

Much love in Christ, Not me

All our salvations in Christ are 100% personal. Either someone has a personal relationship with Christ, how be it a very weak one, they still have one whereby their saved or not

CHEIF  that sounds like POPE FRANCIS .    you needs , I say I say you needs to RETHINK that one .     Either we are OF CHRIST or we are not .   That was , I say that was real spooky .

NO man who denies JESUS in mouth OR IN HEART has ANY part of HIM .      THE HOLY SPIRIT is ONLY , I say ONLY in born again BELEIVERS who confess JESUS as LORD

and follow HIM by the Spirit .      Its possible you might have meant something else ,   but never the less,   you understand WHY I corrected that ,    RIGHT .

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  5

On 6/6/2018 at 3:24 PM, Not me said:

Scripture says;

1 Thessalonians 5:19 (NASB)
Do not quench the Spirit;

We have at one time or another all have done things that were wrong and have had God convict our hearts. We have lost our joy, we have lost the peace of Christ in our hearts. They did not return, the joy, the peace of Christ in our hearts, until we confessed our disobedience and returned to God. But it is this lesson well learned that is how God leads His children. Eventually if the lessons are learned we hear the whispering of the Spirit of Christ in us before we sin. Then the times of being without the joy and peace of Christ in our hearts become a dread to us. We live for the joy of our salvation. Will listen very carefully to His Spirit within us is to never lose the peace of Christ in our hearts. The more we listen to the still small voice the more precise can we follow the leadings of the Spirit within us. Than we have finally learned to be doers of the word, where it says;

“quench not the Spirit”

much love in Christ, Not me. 

‘Quench not the Spirit
Despise not prophesyings. 
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.' 

(1 Thess. 5:19-21)  

Hello @Not me,

* The special gifts which were peculiar to the Acts period are made clear in 1 Corinthians 12. They were given by the Holy Spirit and distributed to believers as He willed.  The gift of prophecy was one of them, so it was not so much the Holy Spirit who could be quenched, but the special gift he had given. 

'And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.' (1 Cor 14:32)   

* No one was compelled by irresistible power to use whatever gift had been given, but It could be neglected and therefore 'quenched'.  The warning not to 'quench the Spirit' was specially related to believers living in the period covered by the Acts of the Apostles.  Not only could these gifts be quenched, they could be counterfeited and so the Thessalonian believers are warned to 'prove all things'.

* These sign gifts were not an unmixed blessing, for they gave the Enemy an opportunity of doing his clever work of copying and imitating the work of God in order to deceive.  Those today who long for them back should remember this and the dangers attached to them. I am thankful that I belong to a calling where there are none, but every blessing is spiritual and connected with riches beyond dreams associated with Christ Jesus the risen Lord at God's right hand (Eph. 1:3,18: 3:16-19).

In Christ Jesus
Chris

59 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

CHEIF  that sounds like POPE FRANCIS .    you needs , I say I say you needs to RETHINK that one .     Either we are OF CHRIST or we are not .   That was , I say that was real spooky .

NO man who denies JESUS in mouth OR IN HEART has ANY part of HIM .      THE HOLY SPIRIT is ONLY , I say ONLY in born again BELEIVERS who confess JESUS as LORD

and follow HIM by the Spirit .      Its possible you might have meant something else ,   but never the less,   you understand WHY I corrected that ,    RIGHT .

I think you might have misunderstood what I wrote or I didn’t say it plain enough. Please explain exactly what you have a problem with. 

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Jesus Christ's death and resurrection (for example) for the sins of mankind is not more important than our  “personal relationship with Christ”? How can we enter into a personal relationship with Him apart from the new birth via the cross?

Seeing how we were talking about believers. When I said there was nothing more important, I thought we were still talking about believers. For in the life of a believer there is nothing more important than their personal relationship with Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Christine said:

‘Quench not the Spirit
Despise not prophesyings. 
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.' 

(1 Thess. 5:19-21)  

Hello @Not me,

* The special gifts which were peculiar to the Acts period are made clear in 1 Corinthians 12. They were given by the Holy Spirit and distributed to believers as He willed.  The gift of prophecy was one of them, so it was not so much the Holy Spirit who could be quenched, but the special gift he had given. 

'And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.' (1 Cor 14:32)   

* No one was compelled by irresistible power to use whatever gift had been given, but It could be neglected and therefore 'quenched'.  The warning not to 'quench the Spirit' was specially related to believers living in the period covered by the Acts of the Apostles.  Not only could these gifts be quenched, they could be counterfeited and so the Thessalonian believers are warned to 'prove all things'.

* These sign gifts were not an unmixed blessing, for they gave the Enemy an opportunity of doing his clever work of copying and imitating the work of God in order to deceive.  Those today who long for them back should remember this and the dangers attached to them. I am thankful that I belong to a calling where there are none, but every blessing is spiritual and connected with riches beyond dreams associated with Christ Jesus the risen Lord at God's right hand (Eph. 1:3,18: 3:16-19).

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Interesting take, will respond later, gotta get back to work.