• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, Davida said:

Let's talk about "slamming" ....that was only just meant to attack Shiloh , not about any view on inerrancy. 

It very definitely was directed right at several of you.  I couldn't care less about how dogmatically you like to cling to POV's.  I was trying to show that it is not just God who sees the vitriol you guys spit, but that honest new people seeking truth are also exposed to this nonsense, and they might go away thinking that THIS anger and animosity is actually what "Worthy" Christians feel is God's work.

Edited by Willie T

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

25 minutes ago, Davida said:

Well, really don't know what that has to do with Peterson, and I don't know why you seem to contradict yourself.

Peterson is huge on discussing the problems with post-modernists.

And yes, I do seem to contradict myself if you make incorrect inferences.

And now it's confession time. But first, I must make it clear that what I'm outlining below I AM NOT doing here. At least not consciously:

My wife, who loves me dearly, has told me that I do have a way of "lying" to people by telling the truth. She said I say things intentionally to get people to make incorrect inferences. That is, I will use precise language, but in a way that some people will think I'm saying A when I'm really saying B. I do it when I don't respect the people I'm debating and when I'm setting them up. 

An illustration of how it might work: It actually slightly annoys me when people say "I could care less" because what they really mean is "I couldn't care less". So I might say "I could care less", meaning, "I care about this more than I care about other things", knowing full well the person listening interprets it as "I couldn't care less."

Language is a powerful tool when expertly used. It does a lot more than communicate, and it communicates in many ways. I think Jesus was very "coy" in many of the things he said to his spiritual enemies in the gospels. He is a genius with language. Heck, according to one definition, the whole bible, on many subjects, is textbook coyness. :)

Edited by Still Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, you were purposefully holding back what you disagreed with me on. 

I think I made pretty clear, throughout this thread, what we disagreed on. And I carefully spelled out exactly what we agreed on, once I understood how the word, "innerant" was being used. The definition was given and I said I agreed with it regarding the bible.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

...you don't really know what you're talking about.

You keep saying those words. I don't think those words really mean what you think they mean. :D

Just now, Still Alive said:

You keep saying those words. I don't think those words really mean what you think they mean. :D

I'm not sure I understand all I think I know about that.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Davida said:

This is the thing...is it that you don't know what you are saying by the words you use or what? something doesn't add up- hence my use of the word deceptive. 

That post was just me having fun. Actually, most of my short posts today are just me having fun. Now that we've all come to a meeting of the minds on the meaning of the word "inerrancy", there is nothing really left to debate other than our own personal interpretations - and how ignorant and deceptive I am. :D

1 minute ago, Still Alive said:

That post was just me having fun. Actually, most of my short posts today are just me having fun. Now that we've all come to a meeting of the minds on the meaning of the word "inerrancy", there is nothing really left to debate other than our own personal interpretations - and how ignorant and deceptive I am. :D

Is that even debatable?  :mellow:

Just now, Willie T said:

Is that even debatable?  :mellow:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

• Haha 1

Love to stay and play, but the Gym calls.

5 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

I often mention the fact that even peaceful Jesus turned over tables and whipped people.But one of my favorite stories from the old Testament is Elija and the priests of Baal. https://www.lds.org/manual/old-testament-stories/chapter-34-elijah-and-the-priests-of-baal?lang=eng

Elija has loads of fun with those guys, at one point asking, when Baal is not consuming the offering, "Maybe he's in the bathroom..."

I'm not saying I'm "feeling" the same disrespect with the posters here as Elija was with the priests of Baal. But when an argument just gets silly, it's time to have fun. Christians are allowed to have fun.

And to be clear. It's not that I'm not taking Jesus or his word seriously. It's US I'm not taking seriously. Yes, that includes me. We're so far removed from absolute truth and so wrong in so many ways that we can't even imagine, that it is comical when we really get our panties in a wad over so much of this stuff. God's fairly powerful. He knows what he's doing. He'll let us know when we're on the wrong path, assuming we are His. And if one is not "chosen", well, then they should eat and drink for tomorrow they die.

Edited by Still Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1