Guest shiloh357

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

All human beings are both racist and sexist. It's in our DNA. The question is, HOW racist or sexist is a person.

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Still Alive said:

All human beings are both racist and sexist. It's in our DNA. The question is, HOW racist or sexist is a person.

No, they are not.  I am not, in either case.

43 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, they are not.  I am not, in either case.

I use the words, in their weakest form, when I say "everyone is racist and sexist".

From Mariam Webster it would be this one, and even then at a weak level: racial prejudice or discrimination.

And even then, the word prejudice as: preconceived judgment or opinion

I was in mostly retail sales the first decade of my adult life. I was very successful and won a lot of sales competitions. I found that It was best to size people up immediately based on the following qualities (In order of significance):

1. Age
2. Male or female.
3. Type of clothing they wear.
4. Eye contact.
5. Race.
6. Other traits, personality related.

But even then, I was only tentative in applying my initial profile regarding the person. Fortunately, it turned out to pretty much be right the lion's share of the time. And if it turned out to be wrong in any way, I adjusted the approach until I had dialed in a "sweet spot".

Fact is, people are different, and a lot of that depends on their age, sex and race. There are many other more important factors, but those are the big ones. I only threw clothing in above race because it strongly indicates culture even more than race, all other things being equal. And, of course, age is usually most important. You pitch differently to a 20 year old than a 60 year old. But when dealing with a 40 year old woman that is single and dresses like a 19 year old, you pitch accordingly.

Everyone notices race and sex (when they are clear). And that causes us all - every single one of us - to respond differently, to one degree or another. And to be frank, clothing and body language usually trump race.

Thing is, race indicates culture (until evidence indicates otherwise) and sex is, well, dramatic. Mens' and womens' brains are different. Period. One serves one's self well if one treats them accordingly.

It's not about the nail.
  • Brilliant! 1

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, Still Alive said:

I use the words, in their weakest form, when I say "everyone is racist and sexist".

From Mariam Webster it would be this one, and even then at a weak level: racial prejudice or discrimination.

I was in mostly retail sales the first decade of my adult life. I was very successful and won a lot of sales competitions. I found that It was best to size people up immediately based on the following qualities (In order of significance):

1. Age
2. Male or female.
4. Eye contact.
5. Race.

But even then, I was only tentative in applying my initial profile regarding the person. Fortunately, it turned out to pretty much be right the lion's share of the time. And if it turned out to be wrong in any way, I adjusted the approach until I had dialed in a "sweet spot".

Fact is, people are different, and a lot of that depends on their age, sex and race. There are many other more important factors, but those are the big ones. I only threw clothing in above race because it strongly indicates culture even more than race, all other things being equal. And, of course, age is usually most important. You pitch differently to a 20 year old than a 60 year old. But when dealing with a 40 year old woman that is single and dresses like a 19 year old, you pitch accordingly.

Everyone notices race and sex (when they are clear). And that causes us all - every single one of us - to respond differently, to one degree or another. And to be frank, clothing and body language usually trump race.

Thing is, race indicates culture (until evidence indicates otherwise) and sex is, well, dramatic. Mens' and womens' brains are different. Period. One serves one's self well if one treats them accordingly.

It's not about the nail.

None of that has to do with being either racist or sexist in the conventional normative use of the terms.   

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

1. Age
2. Male or female.
4. Eye contact.
5. Race.

It's not about the nail.

As usual your post shows, undeniably, that you rank as one of the smartest people on this forum.  And that is given as a very serious comment... and genuine compliment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

None of that has to do with being either racist or sexist in the conventional normative use of the terms.   

Yeah. I'm an outlier. I think most of the labels we use mean nothing without a qualifier. If someone says to me, "That's not safe.", I say, "Safe compared to what?"

I also argue with a lot of liberals on the internet so I have to be precise in my use of words or the argument only ends when I just tire of the pointless back and forth, because they are, truth be told, not even paying attention.

As I like to say, when someone calls a person a liar, "Everyone lies. At what point has a person earned the title, 'liar'".

I'm also mildly annoyed when people say "I could care less" when they obviously mean the opposite.

So, when someone accuses someone of being "racist" or "sexist", I'm unimpressed, because that describes everyone to one degree or another. So it begs the question, "What line did they cross to earn that label?" And the comical part is that, since they are forced to support the label with facts from specific events, they really can't answer the question. And the reason is simple. It is usually based on their own inferences of what they think the person meant when they said something - inferences that they know can be easily debunked.

• Brilliant! 1

3 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

No.  In secular society, today, the terms "racist" and "sexist" are repeatedly applied to things that actually have nothing to do with either term.  In your laundry list above only two of them are actually related to sexism and racism and those are 2. and 5.  None of the other things you list have anything to do with either racism or sexism. 

Right. I was showing how they fit into the pecking order I used to make "first contact" with people. And see my post above this one regarding what I personally believe people mean when they use the labels, "racist" or "sexist".

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
11 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Yeah. I'm an outlier. I think most of the labels we use mean nothing without a qualifier. If someone says to me, "That's not safe.", I say, "Safe compared to what?"

No, that doesn't apply here.   If I  went out on the street and started talking about racism and sexism, I don't have to have any qualifiers.   Everyone knows what those terms mean.  You're just complicating the matter because of some irrational need to make everyone racist/sexist.  And it is just nonsense.  Just use the terms the way they are conventionally understood in normal everyday conversation.   That is what the video is about.

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

No, that doesn't apply here.   If I  went out on the street and started talking about racism and sexism, I don't have to have any qualifiers.   Everyone knows what those terms mean.  You're just complicating the matter because of some irrational need to make everyone racist/sexist.  And it is just nonsense.  Just use the terms the way they are conventionally understood in normal everyday conversation.   That is what the video is about.

I'm complicating it because words have meaning. And I have seen way too many people being accused of being racist or sexist according to "what everyone knows the terms mean" and yet with no evidence whatsoever to back up the claim. I'm actually trying to bring sanity back into the discourse.

If one is going to call another person a "racist" or "sexist", they had better have solid evidence for the claim at their fingertips or they are going to get chewed up and spit out in political/cultural/religious forums.

Which is how it should be.

• Thumbs Up 1