• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- Even Jesus Christ can't circumvent the rules for getting a driver's license in West Virginia.

Attempts to prove his name really is Christ have led the man born as Peter Robert Phillips Jr. through a lengthy legal battle and a recent victory in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.

"This all started with him expressing his faith and his respect and love for Jesus Christ," attorney A.P. Pishevar told The Associated Press. "Now he needs to document it for legal reasons."

Described by his attorney as a white-haired businessman in his mid-50s, Christ is moving to West Virginia to enjoy a slower lifestyle. He bought property near Lost River, about 100 miles west of Washington, and has a U.S. passport, Social Security card and Washington driver's license bearing the name Jesus Christ.

But he still falls short of West Virginia title and license transfer requirements because his Florida birth certificate has his original name on it and he has been unable to obtain an official name change in Washington.

"We just need official documentation that that's his name," said Doug Stump, commissioner of the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles. "He will be treated no different than anybody else."

Christ applied for the legal name change in May 2003, but it was denied by District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Tim Murphy because "taking the name of Jesus Christ may provoke a violent reaction or may significantly offend people."

In his appeal, Christ's attorney argued that Phillips had changed his name to Jesus Christ 15 years earlier, and "has been using the name since then without incident."

The appeals court last month sent the name-change proposal back to the lower court, saying some required hearings in the case had not been held.

Any comment from the man in the middle of this legal tussle?

"Christ is not speaking to the press at this time," Pishevar said.

I know that many will come in his name, but do you think this is what he meant? Why would anyone WAN'T to name themselves after Jesus? What is also notable is that his last name is (Christ). I am not sure that there are many people who think Christ is Jesus' real name. For those of us who know and love Jesus, we also know that he was/is THE CHRIST whose name is holiest given among men. This man who claims to have changed his name for "Faith" reasons, is doing nothing more than mocking the faith of true believers. IMHO

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

I read this article this morning and it really outraged me. I think if this guy loved Jesus like he claims to then he would treat Jesus' name with the respect and reverence that it deserves and not name himself that.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Wow, that is a shocking article. Do you ever think, "Well now I've seen everything." Apperently all we have to do is wait until tomorrow....

That he took the name Jesus, although odd for an American, really doesn't bother me too much. After all, it's only the Greek rendering of the Hebrew name Joshua. And how many Latino boy's are there in the world name Jesus (hay-soos)? A name is only a name. But "Christ"? There only ever was, can be and ever will be one Messiah. As opposed to a name, a title is significant. It's bearer cannot own it unless they truely ARE it. I cannot go around calling myself Mr. President. I do not own that title. I may, however, change my name to Goerge Bush with no disrespect intended.

I love, fear, and honor God but I will not be changing my name to El Olam any time soon for there is only ONE "Everlasting God".

In Christ,

Eric

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢
Wow, that is a shocking article. Do you ever think, "Well now I've seen everything." Apperently all we have to do is wait until tomorrow....

That he took the name Jesus, although odd for an American, really doesn't bother me too much. After all, it's only the Greek rendering of the Hebrew name Joshua. And how many Latino boy's are there in the world name Jesus (hay-soos)? A name is only a name. But "Christ"? There only ever was, can be and ever will be one Messiah. As opposed to a name, a title is significant. It's bearer cannot own it unless they truely ARE it. I cannot go around calling myself Mr. President. I do not own that title. I may, however, change my name to Goerge Bush with no disrespect intended.

I love, fear, and honor God but I will not be changing my name to El Olam any time soon for there is only ONE "Everlasting God".

In Christ,

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Eric,

you have mirrored my sentiments exactly.

YBIC

:thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  279
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/30/1965

:thumbsup: I am shocked! :24:

• Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

Like someone stated earlier, I have known a couple of men who's birth name is Jesus but to take that name and then add Christ to it and use it as your own name, not cool!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I cannot go around calling myself Mr. President.

In Christ,

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of people call me Mr. President!!!! My last name is Reagan, btw! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

While I originally joined many here in taking offense to what this person has done with his name, stop for one minute and think more about it.

If this man's actions are making the faithful take time to write down their objections, wow. Just think, what affect may it have on those without faith? If it makes one person stop and begin a relationship with Christ, is it worth it? What if a stranger near you read the story and said something like "Who is this Jesus guy?" What a fantastic opportunity!

If one person turns to God after crossing paths with this man, I think the cheering in Heaven will drown out any of our objections....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Hey Ronald,

It's nice to meet a fellow bluegrass lover. You don't come across them very often in Minnesota...I play the Mandolin and guitar.

Ya' know, I've always thought, if there was one form of music God probably had a hand in creating it had to be bluegrass/southern gospel...

In Christ,

Eric

...sorry to get off topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  227
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,004
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  01/31/1906

It's been a LONG WHILE since I posted here, but this thread has brought ME BACK! I cannot imagine Gods reaction to this man. I feel like most of you, that he is indeed mocking the Lord, otherwise he's deranged and needs help.

My name is Faithie and it suits me just fine. No need to upgrade for me!

Faithie ;)