Jump to content
Debp

6 Foot Lizard Terrorizing Florida Family

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, RockyMidnight said:

Welcome to Paradise!:D

Cheers!!! :)

Right... alligators, Pythons and Boa Constrictors, spider as big as saucers....did I miss anything?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Debp said:

Right... alligators, Pythons and Boa Constrictors, spider as big as saucers....did I miss anything?

Quite a lot actually. Do you have a day to read? :D

Cheers!!! :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is no telling what kind of creatures that are not native to America could be here, especially in Florida.   they have imported some of the worlds most venomous snakes to florida, and continue to do so on a regular basis.  much of it is not done legally.  people really have no idea what they are getting into when they take these wild animals into their home. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cletus said:

there is no telling what kind of creatures that are not native to America could be here, especially in Florida.   they have imported some of the worlds most venomous snakes to florida, and continue to do so on a regular basis.  much of it is not done legally.  people really have no idea what they are getting into when they take these wild animals into their home. 

That's so true about the venomous snakes.... several years back there was an Albino Cobra loose for a week in a Los Angeles neighborhood!  Neighbors on a certain street would see it now and then, and were scared silly to go out.   They finally saw it slither into a yard and found it in a woodpile.   Then a couple of years ago, on the same street, a home was raided and they had about a hundred snakes, some venomous, and a few other reptiles.  So that's the smart people that let a Cobra loose!

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Debp said:

That's so true about the venomous snakes.... several years back there was an Albino Cobra loose for a week in a Los Angeles neighborhood!  Neighbors on a certain street would see it now and then, and were scared silly to go out.   They finally saw it slither into a yard and found it in a woodpile.   Then a couple of years ago, on the same street, a home was raided and they had about a hundred snakes, some venomous, and a few other reptiles.  So that's the smart people that let a Cobra loose!

Last i checked here in texas it was only 20 bucks for a permit to keep exotic snakes.  not sure if the law has changed by now or if the price has gone up, but it seems like a cheap price for being able to bring potential danger to others and even native wildlife if it got out.  It is however illegal to keep any native species of snakes here. 

My opinion is that unless there is some benefit to having the snakes in captivity it needs to be outlawed, period.  Maybe some snakes would be fine like those small pythons that cant kill a person, and maybe albino corn snakes, fine.  but anything that can harm or kill a person... its not needed and serves no purpose. 

An example of an advantage to having a venomous snake would be a type of copperhead snake we have here.  there is a protein in the venom that can kill cancer.  i thought about getting into it because if you are licensed and legal the research facilities were paying 50 bucks and up for a healthy non injured snake wild caught.  I could have made a small fortune and not went very far as I see them quite often around the house.  i was talked out of it by someone who is really afraid of snakes and I didnt want them to be freaking out or not be able to go on the back porch/yard.   they had a mini anxiety attack just by discussing it, so I felt pretty bad about that.

  • Brilliant! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cletus said:

Last i checked here in texas it was only 20 bucks for a permit to keep exotic snakes.  not sure if the law has changed by now or if the price has gone up, but it seems like a cheap price for being able to bring potential danger to others and even native wildlife if it got out.  It is however illegal to keep any native species of snakes here. 

My opinion is that unless there is some benefit to having the snakes in captivity it needs to be outlawed, period.  Maybe some snakes would be fine like those small pythons that cant kill a person, and maybe albino corn snakes, fine.  but anything that can harm or kill a person... its not needed and serves no purpose. 

An example of an advantage to having a venomous snake would be a type of copperhead snake we have here.  there is a protein in the venom that can kill cancer.  i thought about getting into it because if you are licensed and legal the research facilities were paying 50 bucks and up for a healthy non injured snake wild caught.  I could have made a small fortune and not went very far as I see them quite often around the house.  i was talked out of it by someone who is really afraid of snakes and I didnt want them to be freaking out or not be able to go on the back porch/yard.   they had a mini anxiety attack just by discussing it, so I felt pretty bad about that.

Those Pythons can get quite long...then probably released in RockyMidnight's neck of the woods in FL!

Years ago someone released a large alligator in Lake Los Angeles.   The city kept trying to catch him, no success.   They thought of calling in Steve Irwin.   They fenced in the lake.  One day "Reggie" was sunning himself so they finally caught him!  They put him in the Los Angeles Zoo.  Funny thing was, when he first got there, he escaped!   When the employees arrived early in the morning, they found him crawling across their parking lot!

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Debp said:

Those Pythons can get quite long...then probably released in RockyMidnight's neck of the woods in FL!

Years ago someone released a large alligator in Lake Los Angeles.   The city kept trying to catch him, no success.   They thought of calling in Steve Irwin.   They fenced in the lake.  One day "Reggie" was sunning himself so they finally caught him!  They put him in the Los Angeles Zoo.  Funny thing was, when he first got there, he escaped!   When the employees arrived early in the morning, they found him crawling across their parking lot!

that made me laugh.  When they catch alligators in the well to do neighborhood lakes and in the parks they bring the gators out here where i live.  I watch the game wardens roll in with the trap on the trailer covered up so you cant see.  but when they leave out, they didnt leave the trap, and its not covered and its empty.  right around the creek bend there is a place the gators love to sun bathe.   big-uhns.

Edited by Cletus
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Debp said:

Those Pythons can get quite long...then probably released in RockyMidnight's neck of the woods in FL!

Years ago someone released a large alligator in Lake Los Angeles.   The city kept trying to catch him, no success.   They thought of calling in Steve Irwin.   They fenced in the lake.  One day "Reggie" was sunning himself so they finally caught him!  They put him in the Los Angeles Zoo.  Funny thing was, when he first got there, he escaped!   When the employees arrived early in the morning, they found him crawling across their parking lot!

Good Morning Debp! I've never seen any of these snakes as they mostly have made their way into the sawgrss marshes and Everglades. Hope never to see one either!

Cheers!!! :)

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×