• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

https://www.cefonline.com/about/history/wordless-book-discover-rich-heritage/

From Charles Spurgeon to D. L. Moody to Fannie Crosby to Amy Carmichael to Ruth Overholtzer to ( me and perhaps you too ) have read and perhaps used the basic or expanded Wordless Book. I share of it again for any  and all that may have experiences to share or may not yet  know of it and it's history and practical uses.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

As for myself I first came across it at  a classroom for retarded adults ( Yes I know today  it is mentally disabled) I still prefer retarded for that  simply reminds me to go slower is all. The retarded can understand, learn, appreciate, and come to love greater knowledge of their creator. I don't know if somone disabled mentally has capacity to do that.

Anyway, they were doing some crafts, making  bracelets based on the colors of the wordless book for use by missionaries in  CEF. They were having great fun. I got to wondering about the history of the worldess book, read Spurgeon's sermon to his entire congregation on it.  I thought wow a great way to train my own mind to seek out and sort passages into  three categories and then memorize them  by category.

Next thing I knew there was a hole in the schedule of adults needed to teach the class- oh oh! And it hit me, The wordless Book, then I found the wordless book song, and learned to kind of warble that. And the fall session was off and running I was teacher, oh my-. The class was great fun. The retarded adults  would raise their choice of color page after hearing a verse, and I could then see if they were understanding what was being shared with  them. The scope expanded as we went on. It was a great fall session for me and I hope for the class too.

May anyone that is led to do so find the wordless book to be an expanding tool for sharing of the word of God and the Gospel of Jesus. Amen. 

Spurgeon found it good for his whole congregation, many a child evangelist has used it for kids, I found it great  for retarded adults, it is not just for little kids.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

Thanks for sharing,  I love the Wordless Book.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I've never heard of the 'Wordless Book', but out of curiosity, how do you teach (with words?) a book that is 'wordless'? (Forgive my ignorance).

Guess its a book of many pictures .   due to the saying sometimes a picture says more than words .     You got me on this one yowm.    

For if that book has even one word in it ,  its not wordless .    

Edited by frienduff thaylorde

4 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I've never heard of the 'Wordless Book', but out of curiosity, how do you teach (with words?) a book that is 'wordless'? (Forgive my ignorance).

next week,    let us read the toothless tooth that has no teeth .       I just got tickled a bit when I seen the title wordless book . 

I got an idea .   why not come up with a rainbow book .  that tells of the true convenant and exposes the false rainbow agenda .     We can read it to the children in libraries .

ONLY ,  something tells me them Librarys that accept the false rainbow , wont allow THIS BOOK or its teachings .    

7 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

I got an idea .   why not come up with a rainbow book .  that tells of the true convenant and exposes the false rainbow agenda .     We can read it to the children in libraries .

ONLY ,  something tells me them Librarys that accept the false rainbow , wont allow THIS BOOK or its teachings .    

Dont go off topic. LOL

Hi, I am a bit surprised, The Wordless Book is a famous sermon  used and attributed to Charles Haddon Spurgeon, and has been a tool for Child Evangelism Fellowship that has been in use  by their missionaries around the world for a long long time. 

I guess I had better back up a bit an share:

From Charles Spurgeon: http://www.romans45.org/spurgeon/sermons/3278.htm for the full famous sermon From which I take this excerpt; 

The Wordless Book

A Sermon
(No. 3278)
Published on Thursday, November 30th, 1911,
Delivered by
C. H. SPURGEON,
At the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Newington,
On Thursday Evening, January, 11th, 1866.

"Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."—Psalm 51:7.

I DARESAY you have most of you heard of a little book which an old divine used constantly to study, and when his friends wondered what there was in the book, he told them that he hoped they would all know and understand it, but that there was not single word in it. When they looked at it, they found that it consisted of only three leaves; the first was black, the second was red, and the third was pure white. The old minister used to gaze upon the black leaf to remind himself of his sinful state by nature, upon the red leaf to call to his remembrance the precious blood of Christ, and upon the white leaf to picture to him the perfect righteousness which God has given to believers through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ his Son.
I want you, dear friends, to read this book this evening, and I desire to read it myself. May God the Holy Spirit graciously help us to do so to our profit!
I. First, LET US LOOK AT THE BLACK LEAF.
There is something about this in the text, for the person who used this prayer said, "Wash me," so he was black and needed to be washed; and the blackness was of such a peculiar kind that a miracle was needed to cleanse it away, so that the one who had been black would become white, and so white that he would be "whiter than snow."
If we consider David's case when he wrote this Psalm, we shall see that he was very black. He had committed the horrible sin of adultery, which is so shameful a sin that we can only allude to it with bated breath. It is a sin which involves much unhappiness to others besides the persons who commit it; and it is a sin which, although the guilty ones may repent, cannot be undone. It is altogether a most foul and outrageous crime against God and man, and they who have committed it do indeed need to be washed.
But David's sin was all the greater because of the circumstances.... The sermon goes on to tell about the red page and the white page- it is a presentation of the gospel! It is also a grand tool for teaching  Bible passages. 

So many missionaries still use the presentation that  many a children's Sunday school class makes little wordless books for them to use in the field by missionaries as they share of our lord.

As I stated I used it to teach retarded adults to think about sin and verses pertaining to sin in the Bible, and to sort them from verses that teach of the shed blood of Jesus, the atonement for our sin, and also from the white page verses that tell of our being washed white as snow and acceptable in the sight of God. And you know, even those that could not articulate sentences were soon able to hold up or point at a proper color page when they heard a verse, after they  were led to understand the meanings of the pages; Black - Red - White. They were delighted with their own accomplishment and thrilled at the message of salvation. They came to know our Lord in better manner than they had grasped before. it is a great tool.

The song, well it is fun especially when I attempt singing it and leading in song- that is  howl in more ways than one. Very very humbling, I share that I lost all sense of self-pride in the joy the class got out of it.And they would either try to sing or pick up or pick out a color as we sang. The wordless book song.

Spurgeon wrote of three colors the heart of salvation message, CEF added Yellow or Gold, and later Green was added mostly as a way to cover further the rewards  and glory of salvation. But Spurgeon, his message went right to the heart of the need the way  and the result of salvation.

seethe history of EF See Spurgeon , ask your own local Sunday school class director or most any missionary about it. I think they will have had some experience or awareness. Why even I bumbled into it. It has served me well in my own learning attempts.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Hi, You re about a century or more late, the colors had already been added way back when, to the furthering of missionary efforts to share of God and our Lord. 

• Praise God! 1

8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, You re about a century or more late, the colors had already been added way back when, to the furthering of missionary efforts to share of God and our Lord. 

Well,   its not my fault I aint a hundred plus years old .    I was born later than that .    You throw those hands up and praise the LORD .