• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

I'm reading this and wondering, "Why cover?" What I'm hearing is, "Because Paul says so." But why else? I'm not saying that's not good enough. I'm just curious. Why did he say that? :blink:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  474
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Hi...I wear a covering and I understand that to be my hair from the way the verse reads to my understanding. I also believe Paul had authority from God to write this.

Another verse that I always think of when those verses in 1 Corinthinians 11 come up is:

Rev 9:7 The appearance of the locusts was like horses prepared for battle; and on their heads appeared to be crowns like gold, and their faces were like the faces of men.

Rev 9:8 They had hair like the hair of women, and their teeth were like the teeth of lions.

This would also touch on why I do not think Jesus kept his hair long.

Much Agape in Christ, :blink:

Heather

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

The culture of Paul's day witnessed that a woman who didn't wear a head covering was normally a prostitute. Women in Corinth who were members of the Church, were required to wear a covering in order to show that they were under authority. A woman uncovered was saying, "I am up for grabs, available to be bought."

We are no longer part of that ancient culture. Paul was giving his own opinion.

" But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God."

Christian liberty allows us to present ourselves before God without following sundry dress regulations. God looks on the heart! Amen!

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

1 Corinthians 11:5 speaks of the woman

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

We are no longer part of that ancient culture. Paul was giving his own opinion.

Both the culture and the opinion arguments are problematic to the issue of the Bible being the complete Word of God - the Word breathed out by God to man. If Paul was speaking either his own opinion, or in the context of worldly culture (Worldly culture was a step in man's fall, in fact), then those portions of the Bible cannot be God's Word. If there are portions of the Bible that are not God's complete Word then it is not trustworthy as the foundation for orthodoxy. And if that's the case, then we may as well throw all of orthodoxy out the window. Essentially then anyone can argue against the Bible, against the provisions which God has given us to secure that which is true and defend that which is true against heresy. And further, heresy has no real meaning, because there is no absolute measure of what is true of the faith.

So neither the cultural nor the opinion arguments can be valid unless you truly believe that the Bible is not the complete Word of God. If that's the case, then you have a problem with that very Word which testifies of itself, "All scripture is God-breathed..."

Well we should pretty well know that Paul did declare his opinions concerning marriage and the like. It is not unknown about that. I believe Paul's opinon on matters was a valid thing that God included for our view and reasoning. He gives us sound judgment, not to mention the discernment of the Holy Spirit in these matters as well.

He was writing letters to various churches who had distinct difficulties, and needed teaching and correction. We need to take his instructions into context, considering who he was writing to and what the occasion was. We come away with the knowledge that we have such liberty in Christ, and also that we have a responsibility to God and each other in our behaviours.

All scripture is God-breathed, of course!

Well we should pretty well know that Paul did declare his opinions concerning marriage and the like. It is not unknown about that. I believe Paul's opinon on matters was a valid thing that God included for our view and reasoning. He gives us sound judgment, not to mention the discernment of the Holy Spirit in these matters as well.

He was writing letters to various churches who had distinct difficulties, and needed teaching and correction. We need to take his instructions into context, considering who he was writing to and what the occasion was. We come away with the knowledge that we have such liberty in Christ, and also that we have a responsibility to God and each other in our behaviours.

All scripture is God-breathed, of course!

So if the Bible is the foundation of the orthodox faith, then we should take the Bible as a whole, and not discounting any portion for any reason. That should include culture, opinion, or situation. If the Bible is God's complete Word to man then each of the letters has meaning to all of the churches, as well as to the specific churches that needed correction. We can't pick and chose what we like and what we don't like. If Paul spoke in the context of culture or opinion then that is the message which God intended to impart to us, and as such it cannot be simply disregarded. And certainly we do not cite our "freedoms in Christ" to do whatever we please - especially if it deviates from what God has established in the church as the foundation for it's orthodoxy.

So all godly women everywhere need to cover their heads today to show that they aren't prostitutes?

So all godly women everywhere need to cover their heads today to show that they aren't prostitutes?

I didn't say that. I was only addressing the points you made with regard to culture and opinion. Disregarding any portion of the Bible, no matter how discomforting, for any reason, is essentially deconstructionism.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

1 Corinthians 11:5 speaks of the woman