• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hi!

Exodus 21:24 says

eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

I have seen Christians say that it was to limit retribution.  However I m interested to know it it allowed to give mercy also or if it required of you that if someone knocked your eye out you also are to knock attackers eye out? Like I personally see this part as commandment.  Is there any biblical grounds that would have allowed to offer mercy to attacker instead of knocking attacker's eye out also? I know that NT allows Christians forgive attacker but were people at OT times (when Christ and His teachings had not yet been revealed to people, and the sermon on the mount had not yet took place) allowed to forgive someone who knocked their eye out?

Edited by LPTSTR
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

This verse you cited is in context of verses 21-25.  And it is about limiting retribution.

When two men fight and a pregnant woman is struck and she goes into labor, and the child is OK, he will be punished as the husband and a judge determine.

But if the woman or the child [or both] die, you shall give eye for eye, tooth for tooth...…..

That's the context.  If a man's wife or child died, he would go crazy and would want to maybe even kill that man there on the spot or even one of his children or something terrible in his anger and grief.

This law stops the husband, if death occurs, from going overboard and acting in vengeance.

This verse is not saying you HAVE to kill the man who killed  your wife or child.  And since the first part of the passage includes judges, the implication to me is that a court would determine the sentence.

And of course, forgiveness is available.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, LPTSTR said:

However I m interested to know it it allowed to give mercy

Shalom my friend,

Fantastic post by the way.

I'm feeling that Yahweh is opening your eyes on this matter, as it is absolutely crucial to understanding the Torah and our salvation.  Let me break it down as briefly as I can...

In any violation of a law, there is one who committed the transgression (defendant), a victim who presses the charge (prosecutor), and a judge who gives the final ruling.  However, if there is no prosecutor, there is no case.  Hopefully you see where I'm going with this, but let's make it clearer...

The Torah serves, in part, as the ruling on such matters that were arising in Israel.  Israel had disputes amongst themselves and would ultimately refer to Moses for a decision.  Moses would go to Yahweh for a ruling, and we have the record detailed as "If party A does this to party B, then outcome C is the judgement".  (Therefore, part of understanding the Torah is like looking into a mirror and seeing Israel reflected - the issues they had, the complaints, the practices etc. Fascinating stuff)

Now, if you were the victim and I was the transgressor and hurt you in such a way as mentioned in your post,  YOU would have two options: 

1. To hold the charge and hand me over for justice.  
  2. To have mercy on me and let me go.

Both options are fair and reasonable in the eyes of Yahweh.  He is a God of justice but He PREFERS mercy.  But the choice lies with you.  Now, if we loved others like we love ourselves (also in the Torah), we should offer mercy as readily as we would like to receive it.  But you have the right, as a child of God, to demand justice.  

Here's the twist...

Suppose you do press charges against me and demand justice.  You'd be within your rights and yet you'd be in great danger!  Because then Yahweh would turn the spotlight on you, and ask "who is it that presses charges, seeking my justice over my mercy?".  If you lacked mercy and forgiveness for me over a minor offence, then Yahweh will not give you mercy and forgiveness for your major offences against Him.

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you." ~ Matthew 7:1-2

This is the whole point of understanding and following the Torah on such matters.  Does a brother offend you in this way? Can't sort it out between each other but you would rather bring the complaint before God officially?  Fine, then this will be the outcome, and that's that!  Oh, you don't want this dreadful judgement for your brother? Then forgive him for his offence and don't seek revenge.  Repay evil with love. This is following Torah correctly with your heart and not by cold word.  

So, such commandments in the Torah won't be enforced if the victim is unwilling to enforce them.  Love and mercy is paramount.  BUT, if the victim DOES want to hand his brother over to the Court of Justice, the outcome is decided.  So I think we're meant to read these outcomes empathtetically, and think "Wow, I wouldn't want such revenge on them, I'd prefer to forgive them so that they are spared!"  Like this, you are following the 2nd greatest command of loving your neighbour as ourselves.

Why do I say this is linked to our salvation as well?  Well, consider the story below very carefully.  This is actually the very story which helped me to understand all that I have written above about the Torah.

Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” ~ John 8:4-11

Note that Yahushua was actually prepared to carry out the sentence!  He is just and without sin - if His children demand justice, He will give justice.  She had sinned and was worthy of the punishment, as prescribed in Torah, and she had many 'prosecutors' accusing her.  But after Yahushua switched it on them, they disappeared.  So did any case against her.  There was no longer a case, other than against God himself, who preferred to show her mercy. 

That is why it is paramount to forgive each other. Because, if we hold a grudge against another unto death - it will be scrutinised on Judgement Day.  If the offender is guilty, he will be punished as you, a child of God, demand!  As Yahushua says...

"Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny." ~ Matthew 5:25-26

But then the spotlight will be turned on you!  You will be judged as you have judged.  As Yahushua says elsewhere in a parable...

"Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him. So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.” ~ Matthew 18:32-35

Forgive! Have mercy! Don't hold grudges!  If we can't sort it out amongst ourselves, we'll sort it out in front of Yahweh.  If you read the Torah's outcomes and fear for your brother emphatically - then drop the charge!  Love your enemies. Turn the other cheek. Overcome evil with good. Don't be an accuser and seek justice from God, unless you too want to be accused and given what you deserve too. 

Again, great question.  Read the rest of the Torah and the words of Yahushua with this in mind, and you'll understand both Torah and Grace even more.

Love & Shalom