Loneliness

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

People mistakenly think depression as sadness .Sadness is a By-Product  Of depression. Depression is like being in a walking death.Life becomes  devoid of any and all pleasure.Make almost Of the top,ten things in your life that give you pleasure— your kids, your grandkids , hobbies, going places , seeing friends ,anything. Now Cross all of these things off your list.Your interest in these pleasurable things is about equal to doing the dishes.You force a smile on your face on occasion to make yourself look like your in the game , but you ain’t.You are a zombie going through the motions , just trying to endure it one more day. It is Hell on Earth.That is why the “ sadness” is a By-product Of depression.All I have described.....would it not make you sad? That’s depression.I endured it for five years.Thanks be to God , I am now just the opposite....my life is a joy,and I got bad stuff going on you would not believe.Happiness is tied to things and events, God’s Joy stays with you regardless of anything.I pray everyone here receives this gift from God.Its a By-Product Of KNOWING you are forgiven, and resting in that reality.God bless.

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Hi SmoothRiverFlow:

I found the bullet points below in a Bible magazine in an article dealing with discouragement and loneliness:

What You Can Do About Loneliness
▪ Keep in mind that your situation can be changed, that it is not a permanent situation but a common experience shared by others.
▪ Do not be unreasonably demanding of yourself.
▪ Feel content about yourself in general.
▪ Develop good habits in eating and exercise, and get adequate sleep.
▪ Use the time you spend alone doing creative things and learning new skills.
▪ Be careful not to judge people you meet on the basis of your past experiences.
▪ Value your friends and their unique qualities. Work toward developing a good circle of friends. Ask for ideas from older, experienced ones.
▪ Do something for others—give them a smile, express a kind word, share a thought from the Bible with them. Feeling needed by others is an antidote to loneliness.
▪ Avoid fantasizing about movie or TV stars or Internet or literature characters, imagining a relationship with them.
▪ If you are married, do not expect your mate to meet all your emotional needs. Learn to give and take, to help and support each other.
▪ Learn to talk to others and to be a good listener. Focus on other people and their interests. Show empathy.
▪ Acknowledge that you feel lonely, and talk to a mature friend, someone you trust. Don’t suffer in silence.
▪ Avoid drinking too much, or do not drink at all. Alcohol does not drown your problems—with time they float to the surface again.
▪ Avoid pride. Forgive those who hurt you, and make amends. Be willing to let down your defenses.

• 11 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 5/27/2019 at 8:19 PM, SmoothRiverFlow said:

I have depressive illness and anxiety. I often feel lonely and isolate myself most of the time. I am rather shy and often long for some kind of companionship, but am too shy and afraid and have little to no ambition to ever pursue such. Can anyone relate or having similar issues

The problem is not particularly what you are facing mentally, but its what your doing to cope with it.  You will only beat the shyness and anxiety once you confront them and do things that will not make you stop becoming shy. Confidence builds over time, it is earned as are good relationships/companionship. I wish you the best of luck. God bless you.