IGNORED

Mystery Babylon

Guest Calamus

Guest Calamus

I noticed the other day, for the first time, that there are some chapters in Isaiah that are similar to the chapters in Revelation about Mystery Babylon.

What is Mystery Babylon? I'd some thoughts on this --but please don't say it's the Catholic Church, because I have a hard time buying that.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

Hi Calamus,

Intersting questions and I am sure you will get several different views as to what some think it is. I will point one thing out however. There really is nothing that is called "mystery Babylon" If you look in Revelation which is where most people seem to derive this title from it says:

Revelation 17:5

and on her forehead a name was written, a mystery, " BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH."

If you look closely at the verse it says that name was written, a mystery, the mystery is the name "Babylon the great, ......."

Whomever she is, she sits on many waters and harlots are sometimes used in scripture to depict those who have turned away from the living God and have joined with the world system and ways.

Rev 17:1

Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and spoke with me, saying, "Come here, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters,

I believe that it will be made up of false religions and political systems that exsist that are contrary to the true teachings of God that will give their alligence to her.

Rev 17:2-3

2 with whom the kings of the earth committed acts of immorality, and those who dwell on the earth were made drunk with the wine of her immorality."

And he carried me away in the Spirit into a wilderness; and I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast, full of blasphemous names, having seven heads and ten horns.

Now I do have my own views on whom I think this system will be made up of, but I will hold them in check for now.

It was a mystery at the time John the revelator wrote what he saw, but it will soon become evident as to what this mystery is "Babylon The Great, The Mother Of Harlots, And Abominations Of The Earth" But the name "Mystery Babylon", really isnt a biblical title.

I am interested in others views and I seem to never tire of this particular study.

In Jesus

kevin

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

The very word 'Babylon' tells you what your 'mystery Babylon' is. The Hebrew is Babel, meaning 'confusion of speach.' When our words and thought life disagree with God's words and thoughts, then we are by definition in a state of confusion. This has been the cause of all the misery this poor planet has ever seen.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

My personal opinion, and that is just what it is - opinion - is that it is the USA. I can't think of any other land in the world right now that fits the description any better than we do. We were founded on Christian principles, but look what we have become. And, so much of it is so subtle that even the believers don't even notice it, and the world's thinking has crept into our churches unnoticed, so that our churches are looking so much like the world. It's hard to tell the difference between the world and the church anymore.

I believe that 9-11 was just a warning to us (see how well it fits with the Revelation passage), and God is giving us many warnings to repent or else. I believe that our fall is going to be the catalyst to bring about the seven years of tribulation, too.

I believe God is sending forth a call to repentance, because the fall of Babylon is near, at the door. And, I believe we are that Babylon.

People get ready, Jesus is coming, soon we'll be going home...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

What is Mystery Babylon? I'd some thoughts on this --but please don't say it's the Catholic Church, because I have a hard time buying that.

Okay, I won't........ :rolleyes:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

My personal opinion, and that is just what it is - opinion - is that it is the USA. I can't think of any other land in the world right now that fits the description any better than we do. We were founded on Christian principles, but look what we have become. And, so much of it is so subtle that even the believers don't even notice it, and the world's thinking has crept into our churches unnoticed, so that our churches are looking so much like the world. It's hard to tell the difference between the world and the church anymore.

I believe that 9-11 was just a warning to us (see how well it fits with the Revelation passage), and God is giving us many warnings to repent or else. I believe that our fall is going to be the catalyst to bring about the seven years of tribulation, too.

I believe God is sending forth a call to repentance, because the fall of Babylon is near, at the door. And, I believe we are that Babylon.

People get ready, Jesus is coming, soon we'll be going home...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets see the toes, or the final world power was made of clay and iron, a mixture of the strong and week. Hmmmmmmm

God Bless

Kansas Dad

Lets see the toes, or the final world power was made of clay and iron,  a mixture of the strong and week.  Hmmmmmmm

God Bless

Kansas Dad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rolleyes:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Mystery Babylon is all too often right in our own mouth!

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings,

Revelation 17:1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

Revelation 17:9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

So she sits on many waters reigning over seven mountains. Seven represents completeness or fulness. Are you aware that there are 7 major continents in the world? So I believe these passages refer to the overall completeness or the epitomy of that universal entity that is full of every sin and evil that even now pervades the whole world.

We are told that God calls His people "out of Babylon" so as not to partake of her sins and the judgment which is soon to follow. So this "mysterious" Babylon is much like the Babel of ancient times when the whole world was in one mind and purpose, and today we see that same kind of thinking. Man has made himself a God and as with Babel, when they set their mind to the one purpose, there is nothing that is impossible for them. But God would not allow that, and I don't believe He is going to allow it now.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Greetings,

Revelation 17:1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

Revelation 17:9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

So she sits on many waters reigning over seven mountains. Seven represents completeness or fulness. Are you aware that there are 7 major continents in the world? So I believe these passages refer to the overall completeness or the epitomy of that universal entity that is full of every sin and evil that even now pervades the whole world.

We are told that God calls His people "out of Babylon" so as not to partake of her sins and the judgment which is soon to follow. So this "mysterious" Babylon is much like the Babel of ancient times when the whole world was in one mind and purpose, and today we see that same kind of thinking. Man has made himself a God and as with Babel, when they set their mind to the one purpose, there is nothing that is impossible for them. But God would not allow that, and I don't believe He is going to allow it now.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool! So, you are saying that the "Mystery Babylon" is not an actual place, but rather an attitude of the heart? And, this is world-wide? Babylon is thus an imagry of an unchristian world? So, when we see the fall of Babylon, this is God's judgment against all who have not called on the name of Jesus? Is this what you are saying?