“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens,

and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you.

Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart,

and you will find rest for your souls.

For my yoke is easy to bear,

and the burden I give you is light.”

Matthew 11:28-30

We will never receive if we ask with a certain result in mind.

Oswald Chambers

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

15 minutes ago, Daily verse and quote said:

Then Jesus said,

“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens,

and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you.

Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart,

and you will find rest for your souls.

For my yoke is easy to bear,

and the burden I give you is light.”

Matthew 11:28-30

Oswald Chambers

Amen and praise God. He is wonderful!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1,190
  • Topics Per Day:  0.68
  • Content Count:  1,742
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, our Lord and Savior is, indeed, wonderful!

Thank you for sharing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,619
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

45 minutes ago, Daily verse and quote said:

Oswald Chambers

Hmm, well I do love the guidance of God my Lord Jesus, but O.  Chambers? I don't know if I buy into that one. Fact, I know I don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,259
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

57 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hmm, well I do love the guidance of God my Lord Jesus, but O.  Chambers? I don't know if I buy into that one. Fact, I know I don't.

"We will never receive if we ask with a certain result in mind."

Oswald Chambers
I also wondered about that, Neighbor, and had similar reservations.
Oswald Chamber's book, "My Utmost for His Highest" is one of my most read study/inspirational books,
and have read and studied for very many many years. So I looked up his quote.

For the rest of the story, (in context, and complete quote!)

Then What’s Next To Do?

Everyone who asks receives… —Luke 11:10

Ask if you have not received. There is nothing more difficult than asking. We will have yearnings and desires for certain things, and even suffer as a result of their going unfulfilled, but not until we are at the limit of desperation will we ask. It is the sense of not being spiritually real that causes us to ask. Have you ever asked out of the depths of your total insufficiency and poverty? “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God…” (James 1:5), but be sure that you do lack wisdom before you ask. You cannot bring yourself to the point of spiritual reality anytime you choose. The best thing to do, once you realize you are not spiritually real, is to ask God for the Holy Spirit, basing your request on the promise of Jesus Christ (see Luke 11:13). The Holy Spirit is the one who makes everything that Jesus did for you real in your life.

“Everyone who asks receives….” This does not mean that you will not get if you do not ask, but it means that until you come to the point of asking, you will not receive from God (seeMatthew 5:45). To be able to receive means that you have to come into the relationship of a child of God, and then you comprehend and appreciate mentally, morally, and with spiritual understanding, that these things come from God.

“If any of you lacks wisdom….” If you realize that you are lacking, it is because you have come in contact with spiritual reality— do not put the blinders of reason on again. The word ask actually means “beg.” Some people are poor enough to be interested in their poverty, and some of us are poor enough spiritually to show our interest. Yet we will never receive if we ask with a certain result in mind, because  we are asking out of our lust, not out of our poverty. A pauper does not ask out of any reason other than the completely hopeless and painful condition of his poverty. He is not ashamed to beg— blessed are the paupers in spirit (see Matthew 5:3).

sorta paints a different story, you reckon..........
  •  
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

The way I interpret Chambers quote is that if we are, in effect saying to God, "I expect you will answer

my prayer as it is presented to You."

But God is omniscient. He knows that sometimes what we ask for would not be the best for us.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for "fleshing out" the context of the verse quoted.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,619
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Thank very much fo rth efilling in and general imput. I will have to think it through some.

As for now I find I ask/beg as a default.  I do not pray for the Holy Spirit; I have the Holy Spirit indwelling me already.  I do pray to the Holy Spirit, and to my Lord Jesus, and to the Father in the name of Jesus. I am in the Spirit at times, and the Holy Spirit will sometimes pray in a tongue not discernible by me  therefore not edifying to me; also the Holy Spirit does even groan out when words fail me as I pray.

What I felt I disagreed with is the idea that I cannot/should not ask for a specific result, and  I do disagree with that idea. Of course I will ask for a specific result; and God will always answer, always. The answer will never be no. No is not an answer  to prayer it is  a denial of prayer.  

I do find God answers with more than I asked for, or better than I asked for, or even in  a time frame I would never have imagined, and all for His good purpose so that all things work together for good  for those  that believe of Jesus as Lord God and personal savior.

Seldom do I see ahead what is to be, as result of prayer but so very often I see the result in the rear view mirror as I travel this life's adventure.

Little side note:  I have also learned not to pray for wisdom or at least to be very careful in that particular request because of what wisdom is born, as often it is born of much adversity, adversity that works toward gaining wisdom.

Again thanks for adding good fuel for my own use!

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,259
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Little side note:  I have also learned not to pray for wisdom or at least to be very careful in that particular request because of what wisdom is born, as often it is born of much adversity, adversity that works toward gaining wisdom.

Now you tell me! After at least thirty years praying for wisdom at the top of the list.
No regrets though. Myself and our family received our best blessings
through those leanest and meanest years.

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

What I felt I disagreed with is the idea that I cannot/should not ask for a specific result, and  I do disagree with that idea. Of course I will ask for a specific result; and God will always answer, always. The answer will never be no. No is not an answer  to prayer it is  a denial of prayer.  

:thumbs_up:

And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
1 John 5; 14-15

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Thank very much fo rth efilling in and general imput. I will have to think it through some.

As for now I find I ask/beg as a default.  I do not pray for the Holy Spirit; I have the Holy Spirit indwelling me already.  I do pray to the Holy Spirit, and to my Lord Jesus, and to the Father in the name of Jesus. I am in the Spirit at times, and the Holy Spirit will sometimes pray in a tongue not discernible by me  therefore not edifying to me; also the Holy Spirit does even groan out when words fail me as I pray.

I do find God answers with more than I asked for, or better than I asked for, or even in  a time frame I would never have imagined, and all for His good purpose so that all things work together for good  for those  that believe of Jesus as Lord God and personal savior.

Seldom do I see ahead what is to be, as result of prayer but so very often I see the result in the rear view mirror as I travel this life's adventure.

Again thanks for adding good fuel for my own use!

God is omniscient. He is all-knowing. So when we ask for something we think is best for us,

He knows that if our request will turn out harmful to us, He will deny it.

God is Omniscient - All Knowing. He knows everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen.

So if we present a petition to Him which He knows will not be good for us, in love He will deny it.

Our God is good - all the time. All the time - God is good! (Something my pastor says often.)