• Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

I've been looking at the spiritual gifts that God gives us in;

1 Cor 12 - The Holy Spirit at work for a time

Eph 4 - gifts through the positions in the church

Romans 12 - gifts that are a part of our character, that effect the way we view things and engage the world around us.

Rom 12:6  We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

These gifts are in us, in our own personal nature.

My question pertains to the personal gifts in Romans....' Are these gifts not in us before we accept Christ, or does everybody have their particular gift(s) but is not able use it to its fullest, or for what it is intended, without Christ?'

Edited by Mike 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

20 minutes ago, Mike 2 said:

I've been looking at the spiritual gifts that God gives us in;

1 Cor 12 - The Holy Spirit at work for a time

Eph 4 - gifts through the positions in the church

Romans 12 - gifts that are a part of our character, that effect the way we view things and engage the world around us.

Rom 12:6  We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a] faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

My question pertains to the personal gifts in Romans....' Are these gifts not in us before we accept Christ, or does everybody have their particular gift(s) but is not able use it to its fullest, or for what it is intended, without Christ?'

Only Christians will be able to use these gifts to the fullest in Christ.  

Edited by missmuffet

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1

14 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

It seems to me you're misunderstanding those verses from Romans 12, @Mike 2. Prophecy is listed among the gifts that we receive according to God's grace... which we're outside of until we're in Jesus Christ. How are these gifts a part of our character, my friend? Who prophesies outside of God's Spirit? Who possesses and uses gifts given to us according to grace by God's Spirit?

It looks like you're confusing talents (those are a part of our character/personality) with gifts given to us by God's Spirit. :) 

That makes sense

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1

55 minutes ago, Mike 2 said:

That makes sense

I do wonder though....where the talent comes from, why are some drawn to one thing and not another?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

Hi Mike, I think Dusty Roads pretty well covered it in describing talent versus gift. But I don't think I will limit God to developing talent in order to give gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Perhaps God knowing from before the beginning takes the talent he Has  enabled an individual to develop  and provides the gift of the Holy Spirit that glorifies that talent so that it is used  to God's Glory for His good purposes.

Going through the Gifts of the Holy Spirit however; there may be a bit of difficulty in justifying that thought  regarding the gift from the Holy Spirit of martyrdom. Perhaps one has a talent for it from before being turned about by the Holy Spirit and being indwelled by The Holy Spirit. Maybe it is known as stubbornness; seems more more a characteristic than talent.

As a personal view; I think God more often uses the very person without the talent one would expect to be able to use a gift from God the Holy Spirit, so that it is apparent that it is of God and not of the individual that the gift is utilized. That way all glory is God's alone, as it should be. Plus that way the individual used by God is not puffed up in themself.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Only Christians will be able to use these gifts to the fullest in Christ

Does that imply that nonchristians also receive and use gifts of the Holy Spirit?